Paintshop Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RJ, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Hey... you made me think about something...
    [​IMG]
    That's CS5 (must be the same for CS2).

Now that's what they call collective wisdom! ;)

Are there any tutorials I can read about achieving metallic effect using mipmaps?

2. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Many thanks pandamasque. The setting is open by default in the older nVidia plug-in which is the one I left in Photoshop 7. The latest version I have in CS2 that's why one opened them and the other didn't. haha That'll teach me for not reading thing properly.

Not that I know off but if you get a texture of metallic paint samples off the net you can use those. Play around with the alpha so the specks get the higher amount of gloss or shine. Like most things it's more just trial and error.

3. J-Monsta

J-Monsta Registered

My thoughts on this would be to have more info available to modders about cube's, and spec's. It can really make a break a mod. Tho its not difficult to do its understandable some poeple dont have a clue what there doing.

4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Your quite right J-Monsta. I can't agree more. This quotation is how I see it. Others see the cube as a total replacement for the specular map when in fact the best result is by using "both" in the way they have been designed for. It's really quite a simple rule to follow. Sure the cube does give light speculation over the car but if the spec map is used in a attempt to give a pearl type effect as it has been in some mods it does take away from the speculation effect from the cube making the cars, Well not flat! Lifeless you could say. You get a reflective surface but the airier closest to a light source look pale and doesn't match the appearance of the reflective surface the cube is trying to create.