[WIP] Oschersleben 2023

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Heikki21, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Heikki21

Heikki21 Registered

This summer I started a "proof of concept" project for myself, where I wanted to gather the raw data for a scratch build track project by myself. For that I wanted to use my drone, but quickly I realized, I need more equipment for better geo referencing. So I boosted my setup with some additionally RTK technology. Luckily I got the chance to scan the Oschersleben race track and was also able to put my equipment on track. The result of that scan/photogrammetry was as good as I hoped. As I focused on the main track, to get it as detailed as possible I did not scan the very far outer terrain. For that I am using free available 2m DEM files, which blended in perfectly with my scan. On the second picture, you can see the photogrammetry raw result overlaid with the DEM for the far terrain.
    I started modelling the track and the roads, curbs, terrain and also some buildings are already finished. I had a one month break now, but will try to continue working on it now, hoping to finish it "soon" ;) But still a way to go.

RAW Data
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ingame
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a first onboard lap :)

2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Fantastic effort so far. Looks like you have really done your homework to get the best out of your scandata. May I ask how you approached the circuit owners? Did they give you permission to scan the track? I've been to Oschersleben few times and still have some great memories. I was lucky enough to get Zanardis cap when if managed to win his first WTCC race. And it's actually a great track for spectators. Anyway, it looks very nice and like a great start.

3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

That's looking great!

4. philrob

philrob Registered

Superb work, a blast of inspiration to us all, to try something new.

5. Heikki21

Heikki21 Registered

Thank you guys :) @hitm4k3r luckily I know some people at the circuit, who made it possible for me to get the permission.

Russo997RSR, vava74, Corgan and 4 others like this.