Optimum tyre pressure for BTCC cars and the 992?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PirroC, Aug 29, 2023.

1. PirroC

PirroC Registered

Does anyone know optimum tyre pressure for BTCC cars and 992?

2. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Most people will probably say lowest as possible. But lately I went with 144/142 on the 992 at Sebring and Bahrain. But do a lot of test runs and see what works for you.

3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

For hot laps it would be always lowest pressure. For long races it depends on your strategy for tyre changes. But as @ThomasJohansen said, you have to do tests. There's no trick that I know.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  4. Mordorsport Max

Mordorsport Max Registered

Use Motec I2 and the DAM-PlugIn, it will make it much easier to find the best values.

5. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

Generally, you just want to stick at the lowest possible on both front and rear. Increasing pressure on cars that don't allow extremely low pressures means just removing grip potential, so my suggestion is to only change pressures if it's your last resort for balance change adjustment.

There's also a point in getting symmetrical pressures during a stint. Never really come to a conclusion on whether it's actually beneficial to do it, so up to you to test and come to your own conclusion.

PirroC likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Based on what? What are you checking? People not already using telemetry usually get it going then say, "ok, now what?" So: be more specific.

Spyro, PirroC and Marcel Offermans like this.
  7. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

@PirroC from my limited testing pressure could help with tyre wear. So you might wanna keep an eye out for that.
    add +3-5 kpa to the tyre that has higher wear and do around 7-10 laps and see how tyre wear compares with lowest pressure.
    but usually lowest pressure is the way to go.

PirroC likes this.
  8. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

I think on the official cars with limited data output there's not a lot that you can do. One thing you can look at is the relationship between tyre pressure and the combined G to estimate the change in grip levels (maybe also involve temps?). Then again, combined G's is very messy data and would require a lot of precise driving. If you had full data available you could've studied the long/lat tyre forces instead.

Then you have the temperature spread too of course, but to me, that's just a load of bollocks in rF2.

The best thing to study is just the lap time. Once you know you are on a good driving level you can consistently change stuff on the car and see/feel the changes.

9. Simulation_Player

This is interesting statement , i also observed the same. the temp spread is doing its own thing basically. on some cars you are overheating outside part of tyre even on pretty high camber and on some cars the inside part is overheating even on lower camber values.
    camber do affect the spread but there is a "base" temp spread which car will follow no matter the camber value.
    I don't know if rf2 simulates inside , mid and outside separate wear or not since we only see total wear in both game and telemetry.

10. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

Well, for instance comparing specific changes in setup, in this case tire pressure. Just as an example of the many possibilities, record a bunch of laps using X and Y pressure without changing other things in setup and then compare the average g forces on braking and cornering between them. Not saying anything new here, but Motec is really to visualize and quantify your vehicle dynamic, it wont give answers if you don't know what to search. I'm forever thankful for your tool, DAMPlugin is a life changer.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It 99.9% has very detailed tyre wear - as we know the "flatspot effect" that people occasionally demand be adjustable actually comes about organically from tyre wear, and there's very little reason to think physical and thermal degradation is only modelled on a single (or three) rings around the tyre (I'm pretty sure we've seen graphical proof of uneven tyre wear?). It remains one of the most frustrating oversights of rF2 that we can't examine a tyre like you would in real life; hiding what makes the game impressive while openly showing all the physics parameters and therefore exposing the relatively tiny gaps in the simulation.

12. Simulation_Player

by flatspot effect you mean vibration in ffb as tyre wears on ? i can definitely feel that on some stupid -5 degrees camber setup for race or even just doing some laps on skid pads does that.
    I think i have seen graphical wear on tyre but from what i know graphical representation =/= physics.
    It would be cool to see "full" tyre wear from inside to outside like IRL, i wouldn't know how to use that info tbh....actually this avg wear we see makes things easier. There must be some advantage on seeing full tyre wear and adjusting setup and driving accordingly.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Flatspots, I mean flatspots from locking up brakes normally. It actually creates flatspots on the tyre, and that creates vibrations through FFB because the effective diameter is changing as the wheel rotates (plus the weight imbalance is taken into account, which might be the only 'canned'/calculated part). Graphics of course is not physics, but the graphics does represent something of the physical state; the wear you see on the tyre tread, represents the wear that's in the physics. That can be uneven, which means the physics will store wear across the tyre, not just a single figure for the whole width.

Anyway, after posting above I realised I'm sure I've asked this previously, and indeed - Marrs confirmed nearly a year ago now on discord (and I imagine I and/or others asked in previous years, but that's harder for me to find) that wear is calculated/stored per node. The simplified/averaged output was done early on to conform to the existing outputs (HUD, telemetry) and as it matched the TBC model for comparisons which was useful early in rF2's life. Then we mutually lamented the lack of extra available detail at least for modding (but also some more realistic post-run tyre examination), while agreeing sometimes the multitude of exact data available to drivers isn't very realistic.

But I digress :)

Simulation_Player likes this.
  14. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

if you use the free camera while your car is still on the track (and change some .ini parameters to get the camera to move slowly) you can inspect the tires, and the damage is not just texture, like ac1 for example, but the whole tire 3d model is affected by flat spots, changing its actual shape. As you said, i can't rely on that to be used on the physics calculation, or to be just visual. I like to believe it does, but that i cant confirm.

15. Simulation_Player

I understand that sometimes sims can show too much data that is almost impossible IRL or not possible at all, but having tyre wear for full tyre visible wouldn't be one of them for sure.
    I would also like few other telemetry output regarding suspension , which shouldn't be too hard to find IRL as well.
    Maybe a wishlish/ request post on giving us more data on certain things which wouldn't be hard to find IRL as well. like this tyre wear for example.