Optimize rain on windshield plz

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Akela_DE, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

In cp view sometimes i can barely see the apex and other cars when its raining.
    Very bad when you're forced to use hoodview. The sidewindows are worse.

Attached Files:

mesfigas likes this.
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I'm sure someone with modding experience will assist but it could be the mod not the rain.
    Just thinking out loud. ;)

3. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

My biggest gripe with the rain is that it isn't distracting enough if I am honest. You can still drive without using the wiper and especialy for open wheelers there needs to be a solution similar to the visor mod. My guess is that this might be S397s take on the problem that people simply switch off the rain to gain an advantage, as you will notice it in ACC and PCars 2. The rain in those sims looks pretty good on the windshield and forces you to use wipers. The problem is that you can switch it off to solve the issue. So in that regard the rF2 implementation offers more advantage for people who don't switch it off as you see how strong the rain is using the setting. Def. difficult to balance this so that it is good for all users.

Alex72 and TJones like this.
  5. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

In forced cp view in PC2 where is the possibilty to turn rain off ? imo , you can turn off raindrops on camera lens, thats outside, not on windshield.
    please think about it again - how can a heavy distracting rainlayer be a solution to anything if you can turn it off ? eh ?
    and - drive in rain and have a look out of the window ;)
    there is much room to optimize the looks of it

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

To get closer to reality :

- The raindrops "in the sky" must be much more transparent and thin.
    - The raindrops of the windshield must be much thinner, numerous, and above all transparent.

Doing all this would probably lead to a drop in performance, but the rain would be more realistic and we would see better overall.

Louis and Akela_DE like this.
  7. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

Talking Performance: in PC2 it is very good with rain and it looks amazing. Except the creeping worms , thats clearly a rest of race07 code :D
    In PC1 i had fluid 50-60fps with 50 cars, multiclass in LeMans. , and i would be "very" satisfied if RF2 could look like PC1 ;)

8. stonec

stonec Registered

The rain layer is supposed to be distracting, we are talking about a sim here. The problem in your screenshots isn't the rain layer, it's the position of the seat that doesn't match with the wiper. If you find it distracting, the solution is to turn rain drops off. Rain drops off will give an extra 20% FPS boost, which is why there is that option for those with not so powerful graphics card.

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Rain is supposed to be distracting, as in real life.
    Everyone agrees with that.

The problem is that it is not realistic enough, and even too embarrassing because of the lack of realism.

Read my message above to understand what I'm talking about, I've listed some things that are unrealistic and that hinder the view excessively.

10. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

LOL :D Talking about A SIM ... and thats why you supposed to see barely nothing through your windshield or sidewindows? You own a car ?

Seriously, bad graphiclayers from 2006 has nothing todo with reality or "SIM" or seat position, its just plain bad and annyoing. Have a look at the PC Videos with rain, thats not perfect but ok for todays standards. Btw, that is what i would call "simulating" the effect from rain on windows.
    And if you dont get the intention of my wish: i want a rain layer! But a decent one.
    I know it can be turned off completely but thats no solution. i would call that near a cheat in online races.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Well below you have a screenshot of rain layer from pCars 2, doesn't look that different to me. And yes as a matter of fact I just looked at rain drops on my car windshield today when driving to work. There's no way I would be able to drive safely in traffic without wipers.

[​IMG]

12. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I definitely spend a lot more time with wipers off than on when it's raining, city or highway driving.
    Of coarse as soon as needed I use them. It has to be raining fairly hard to put them to "always on" mode and "fast always on" is probably when looking for the ark! ;)
    Maybe it's because I'm looking (eyes focused) at what's in front of the car and not the water on the windscreen. More likely I'm too tight to buy new blades. :oops:
    I cringe when I see someone put the wipers on full speed when a drop or two of water touch the windscreen.
    I have violent thoughts when those wipers are still going, screaming for moisture, and brainless driver is oblivious.

Agreed. Should be a server setting, raindrops on or can't join server.

13. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

hm, the new endurance porsche looks very much better in rain, the drops on sides and windshield don't look like snowflakes like it is in the Camaro. But the frames are *ouch.
    PC2 and RF compared, isnt there a difference in color(more to grey), transparency, size (bigger in PC) and density.(fewer)?

14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Akela_DE is right
    we need something better than this
    also in Norma M30 i have problems to see clearly what is happening and i always have to guess
    this is something that make my mind tired cause i have to imagine and calculate things that normally i shouldn't if it was on my hands.

15. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

made a little video. look at the start in the camaro when i point :) - that would be nice if it would stay so. But the raindrops changeing color to white sometimes, thats what not happening in PC2. Is this effect track dependent or some of my videosettings?

16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

1. i have a feeling that pcars2 transparency while rain isn't so correct.
    2.not sure how much the wind physics works in pcars 2 also in rf2.
    3. please try use official tracks mate.

17. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

PC2 transparency is fine, maybe not correct but the overall effect with thrown up water from wind and cars is great. the drops on the windshield are somewhat unrealistic in both games. More steam ! :D Looks like my VW Käfer 1303 in the 80s

18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i like how pcars 2 simulates weather effect but they look a bit pre-designed or something.

19. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Would be awesome to have a steam effect though.

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

It looks like pcars in the video is like a 1/8th model car. Either that or the rain in pcars world is on steroids. :eek:
    Looking at the video I think the main thing lacking in both is basically no water is streaming off the windows.
    I would imagine there isn't any great physics to calculate in regards to direction the water should move just at what speed.
    Graphically I imagine 3 or 4 default "patterns" with each one being used for a specific speed range.
    That makes even more work for our poor GPU.

mesfigas likes this.