Optimisiation??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kosmo1982, Nov 9, 2013.

1. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

Couple months ago i changed my CPU from pentium dual core 3GHz to AMD FX 6100 3,3 GHz and i was amazed cause i had no change in fps. Today i changed my nvidia GTS450 512 RAM into Radeon 7850 2GB RAM and guess what? Im again with exactly the same graphics settings(mix of high, mid, low , off) and my framerate is almost exactly the same it just jumps more and sometimes go below 30 which didnt happened with old nvidia GTS450. This is tragic!

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

So... first you had a GTS450 512mb and thought upgrading your cpu was going to improve fps? Anyway... Your new card should perform better (but remember AMD is not a good choice for rf2...). It would be interesting to see your exact graphics settings.

Circuit, player, opponent and texture detail? Shadow, shadow blur settings? Environment and road reflections?

If you actually want help I suggest that you post in the technical forum, and provide your system spec and in game graphics settings.

My brother is running rf2 with my oooold radeon 4850 and AMD phenom 2,6GHz and it's working...somehow :)

3. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

I dont know how to make screenshot with my settings.
    1440x900 no vsync, 4AA supersampling
    track details:low
    my car: high
    oponents: medium
    textures:high
    AF x8
    special effects low
    shadows medium
    shadow blur, enviroment reflections, road reflections, wind and crowd movement all off
    sun occlusion on
    rain drops on
    visible ai 15
    And yes upgrading only cpu did raised my fps in games like project cars, planetside 2 and battlefield 3 from unplayable to perfectly playable in middle details. Didnt had time to check how i can play those games with new GPU.

4. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

Kosmo I have an i5 650@3.2 (dual core) can look at my profile my rig, this is the config I'm using at the moment:
    View attachment 10700
    View attachment 10701
    and with 29 cars on track at silverstone was start at 45-50 fps,
    to me one of the things I fall between 10 and 15 fps is to full shadows, or put in high environment reflection, if I put those 2 things full, my fps die instantly, but it is a good config I like seen with Level 6 AA, try delete the folder shaders , and you could also reinstall video drivers

5. Nibo

Nibo Registered

4AA supersampling - there is you problem. With 6950 I can only use SS with older games, like rF1. With rF2 it kills FPS 2 times or more. Try using 4x MSAA.

6. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

no it isnt. I used level 4 in game and fps was even worse

7. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

thanks will try them

8. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

gabriel666, tried exactly your settings but i have with them around 20-30 fps at start and then during race still have drops below 30. Strange with exactly the same GPU.
    Just tried project cars. Mid/high settings, same resolution, some AA, 8AF, 19 AI and never goes below 30fps so my system seems fine...
    EDIT: one thing i noticed is that in pcars my fan goes louder then when not playing a game, while in rf2 it stays the same...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  9. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Did you change the antialiasing mode in Catalyst Control Centre? If you leave it on supersampling it will still do supersampling. I don't use supersampling any more because the performance hit is too much. Try turning all antialiasing off (in game and in Catalyst Control Centre) and see what fps you get

10. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

kosmo is very rare that if it is practically the same gpu and your cpu should pay something more than mine, you can try what barf said, I did not touch anything in CCC only in rFactor 2 as you can see in my screenshots, and is very rare not to exceed 30 fps, you could also look out on the PLR if not line max framerate at 30, do not know ... are things that come to mind, I have it so: Max Framerate = "60.00000" and vsync off, the other thing I guess you could limit the RAM, you have 8gb or more? you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers? try deleted the shaders folder? is in: C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\Log\Shaders, please excuse my English if there is a confusing line, I'm using google translator

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I actually took for granted that the "supersampling" was a typo. But of course if you are using that, you should turn it off. The fps hit is even too big for my gtx 690...

Try turn anti-aliasing off in game, and only run it from catalyst (2x multisampling or try no AA at all). Are you using any custom Catalyst settings?

Check your GPU and CPU usage while playing. Maybe your GPU usage is too low in rf2.

12. MJP

MJP Registered

FWIW I've just run gabriel666's settings and I get 59-90fps on an i5-3570k@3GHz and GTX470@650MHz.

You didn't specify which cars so I used the Corvettes also I wasn't sure what CPU speed to run at to make it more representative but at these settings I'm fairly GPU limited so probably wouldn't make too much of a difference.

13. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

14. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

Yes guys i turned off supersampling in catalyst center or whatever its called. I have application controlled now. Im using level 6 in game now like Gabriel666. Will try without mirrors. I have 4GB of RAM. For test i was using Nissan GTR.
    EDIT: ok mirrors are killing my fps. When i turn them off i get 40-50 fps at start. They werent so heavy on nvidia GTS450. Thanks for the tip Gabriel666!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  15. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

You're welcome dude, from build 49 do not use mirrors what always killed my fps :eek:
    I read somewhere that you can shorten the distance of view in the mirrors, in the forum somewhere...but can not remember where, is that boys had changed "this line" line by 15 meters or something and really improved performance, maybe some guy I see this thread reminds and shares the link ;)