Optimal Tyre Temp for GTE Cars and Damplugin

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ciccina2016, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

Hello
    is there any table who lists ideal tyre temp per gte cars ?

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Nothing official from S397 that I know of.
    Theoretically if should be the same as the real life tyres.

3. DanielK

DanielK Registered

In my experience with these new tyres, you want to keep them below 100 deg. Anything over will kill the tyres. With a good, balanced setup and maximum attack, the tyre temps should hover around 90 - 105 deg during hard cornering. Anything over that indicates significant slide, requiring a correction most likely in setup.

Note that this applies mainly to the loaded side of the car, the inside wheels will heat differently. Expect the inside edge of the unloaded front to get well over 100 deg in cornering, however this is dependant on front toe angle.

4. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

Thanks guys for the response.
    I am using the Tyre HUD app actually to try to understand if the tyres are overheating.
    My understanding is that you don't want to have the colour RED( Yellow) on tyres as that implies tyres are over heating.
    Regarding the tyre temps should not depend on the tyre compound?
    If I got a soft tyre at 90 degrees is not the same as having a medium at the same temp as the soft will be overheating sooner, I guess..
    Not an expert at all.

5. DanielK

DanielK Registered

Yellow is major overheating. If you’re going for maximum lap speed, if you can get the tyres “red” during cornering without them sliding that’s ideal (the rears need to be within 10 or 15 deg during cornering or its just understeering though). If you’re doing a race stint and you want the tyres to last, you want to avoid getting them red in the hud because the wear will be higher at that point.

If you want to maximise the tyres, the best option is Lazza’s motec plugin, using this you can see the inner / center / outer tyre temps. Here is a trace from a lap of Sebring in the lmp2 Oreca, with soft tyres. The tyres are extremely similar to the gte tyres (they might be the same? Not sure).
    [​IMG]
    The points where all 3 lines pretty much line up is where maximum load was applied to the tyres, where the purple line is highest is where the tyre was on the inside. The big spike in the middle is a lockup. I find this information absolutely critical in tuning these latest cars (along with the damper histogram in motec).

Attached Files:

Ciccina2016 likes this.
  6. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

Thank you, i kinda nailed that tyre pressure and camber angle are quite key on race performance.
    I have tried to install morec but i got lost

7. DanielK

DanielK Registered

JuanP006 and Ciccina2016 like this.
  8. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

9. Jego

Jego Registered

While we are at it, for some reason, the plugin wont log my inner temps from the right side. Any idea what could cause this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

where is saving the compatible log files?
    I am going mad...

11. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

You can set/read the log path here:
    upload_2018-8-21_21-35-25.png

Lazza likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Jego while on a worksheet press V to show the logged channels on the right, check those channel names against your graphs to see if there's a mismatch. All my tyre channels have tyre spelled as tyre - not tire - so what you're looking at there is probably a set of user aliases/maths channels which reference actual logged channels, and probably don't match the DAMPlugin channel names.

Damn, good stuff @Wergilius , saved me an explanation :D

Jego likes this.
  13. DanielK

DanielK Registered

Jego likes this.