"Opponent filter" in alphabetical order

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by PearceYaussy, Oct 20, 2015.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

It's very annoying to spend 5 minutes scrolling up and down the whole list to find all the opponents I want. Once you have a lot of mods installed it gets horrible. I don't see why they are scattered everythere and not sotred in alphabetical orter and maybe even into expandable/collapsible categories like "GT", "Touring", "Open Wheel", "Protoype", ect. That would be very nice indeed.

2. Emery

Emery Registered

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Click PLAYER arrow twice, that will bring ISI rooms to top then most populated to least.

Personally I think it is more to do with how people name rooms and mods.

A better way is before you even boot rF2, when you are browsing, whatever, leave up the ISI Server-List

https://world.rfactor.net/server-list

Click Refresh, Click Has Players, Click Public should only be a handful of rooms to watch. ;)

Leave the tab open on TaskBar, click Refresh anytime you like to see whats happening then go back to what you were doing.

If you can FSW ( fullscreen window mode ) good you can leave it on taskbar when you are in a room, then you can check what is up without leaving.

4. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Thank you. However, I'm not talking about the online server select screen. I meant where you select your opponents on the "session settings" tab offline, the "opponents filter" list. There is no way to sort that.

5. Lgel

Lgel Registered

+1

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You never really made that clear, my mistake.

Okay you talking offline, then make your own mods, based on the mods you downloaded. :confused:

IF you fill in the Author section when you make a mod whatever the name is will be a Series Name.
    IF you leave it blank it uses the same name, most people leave it blank ...same as NOTES in setups. lol

Okay Pearce if I click on Series I see.

+DD ...When I click the + sign I see -DD and all my mods below .

So you can make author whatever you like and make as many authors/ categories as you like
    and any mods with same author name will fall under that list.

+DD
    +GT
    +Lemans
    +Historics
    +Rally Tracks
    +Road Courses
    +OFFLINE
    +ONLINE

What you want would mean every mod maker would have to correctly label everything.
    From the variation in mod and track naming and all the empty info. boxes in 4 years you can see that won't happen.

So asking ISI to do it is not the way, first getting all modders to adhere to a strict naming protocol would............ again never happen.

Say everyone did that, then you would have a heading for each single mod !.......that is even worse ! ;)

So the obvious solution is to make your own, nice and neat exactly how you want. ?
    Anyone downloads my mods they are all under DD.

Anyone never realized you could do that give me a +1 lol p
    [​IMG]

BTW
    My idea a decade back was a developer/modders board control validation and certifying mods
    otherwise they would not work on server. Every mod would have to conform exactly.
    That way everything would have a name class and place to be like you want and ISI files have.

I even said to have a stamp of approval from Modders Co-Op

Gee sounds like 3PA for addons. p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  7. Lgel

Lgel Registered

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Did I say it was a Sin, your words not mine.

You only have to look at all mods and tracks naming and the info boxes.

I not having this discussion I gave people an easy way to neatly store mods rather then one big list.
    They just too bothered to look or read what I say, did same thread 3 years back when complained about big muddled offline list.

I never said to get them to conform. :)
    I said they would have to if you want the developer to facilitate every single add-on being properly categorized and under headings like Pearce wants.. ????

Crap it is basic logic ?

9. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Yes you are right, it is basic logic.

Explain us the logic behind this simple fact without beating around the bush.

Why does the opponent list display:

MKCF1FW26
    Stockcar_2015
    AMGT3_SLSAMG
    AMGT3_BMWZ4GT3
    AC_427_Comp
    AC_4278_SC

Instead of:

AC_427_Comp
    AC_4278_SC
    AMGT3_BMWZ4GT3
    AMGT3_SLSAMG
    MKCF1FW26
    Stockcar_2015

Cheers.

10. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I always wonder the same and also wanted to post a "wish".
    Simply ordering them by name would make the life so much easier.
    Or a filter for the opponent filter [emoji6]. Simply type btcc to see every filter with btcc in its name.

Currently I also started to group my components to vmods only because of that opponent filter...

11. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Yes it's an issue I already asked for fix, with no answer. So YES, we need a SORT in the opponent filter (when the Endurance Series will be released, it will be better to have this sort) !!!

12. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I doubt they even read this "wish list" section honestly. I've never seen one reply from ISI staff in here...

13. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Oh Jesus the BTCCs... Every time I want to race with a full BTCC field I have to slowly scroll through the ENTIRE list of around 80 mods to find all of them. That I REALLY don't understand. Why would they be scattered all throughout the list if they are basically the same mod???

14. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

At least it seems to be the same weird order for us. So the list is ordered only the ordering criteria makes no sense.[emoji12]

15. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I hear what you are saying, and it's a very good idea. But that takes a lot of time, and I would be happy enough if the list was just sorted alphabetically. That's my main complaint. Categories would be a bonus, hence "and maybe even".

The fact that people have complained about it for 3 years and such a simple fix has not been made is ridiculous.
    I have done lots coding with lists and it would literally take only a few lines of code.

In .NET (Java is very similar) to create a list and sort it is literally this:

List<string> lstOpponentCars = new List<string>(strOpponentCars);
    lstOpponentCars.Sort();

Native CLR code would be something like this :

list <string> lstOpponents;
    list <string>::iterator it2;

for (ULONG i = 0; i != lstOpponents.Size; i++)
    lstOpponents.push_back (strAllCars); //strAllCars is all car names unsorted

lstOpponents.sort ();

//then another for loop to add all SORTED items to list box one by one.

I'm not kidding. Even in native c++ it is VERY simple and would take all of 5 minutes. Come on ISI!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  16. DavidG

DavidG Registered

This would definitely be a massive help, especially as we add more cars and filter list becomes ever larger. It would also be useful if we could restrict the cars displayed to the current ‘carset’.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I never beat around the bush ?
    I gave benefits to making your own mods with their own sub sections. ?

1. There has to be a way to divide official content otherwise you would have someone using the naming to stick a car in the middle of ISI's ....logical ?

2. EDIT: Cobra ....... Oh it has just used as a example okay.

3. What's MKCF1FW26 to the uninitiated newbie, at least they know what ISI cars are.

4. I do not like the full caps lock names either, why destroy consistency for the sake of it.

Like I said on track naming, take 1988 Monaco

88Monaco, 1988 Monaco, Monaco '88, Monaco 1988 1988_MONACO etc etc ;)

In my track list the first ten alone, there is no consistency at all, some have all caps, some have underscores, some have no spaces at all, some have version numbers even though you see that anyway.

If people did not name all 3PA content starting with 3PA where would the world be. ;)

Conformity is not a dirty word.

P.S.

I tell you what guys..........

You get everyone to author and info their mods , everything logically named then I will back you up 100% with Tim for the rest.

Like I said ball is in their court ;)

Has been for decades, modding is one of those rare hobbies, pastimes has no clearly defined paths. Heck it does not even have a ( Modders and Painters) Co-Op or a Charter of Ethics or Paid up Members.

Even knitting clubs have those.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  18. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

You're missing the point. All I was asking for was an opponent filter list in alphabetical order so I dont have to look through the entire list just to find one car. If I'm looking for "Stockcar_2015" then I can just scroll down to the S's and find it very quickly, instead of it being in some random place in the list. Much easier.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Ah doh Pearce now I understand, sorry

But still goes back to my original answer mate.

What you described you are using all cars and tracks, yes ?

As I said at very beginning make your own custom mods for offline.

Like don't put the cars in the mods you do not want to race with other cars, then the filter list will be tiny.

I mean I can't make it easier then that, in the time it took me to explain that you could make 12 mods mate. ;)

And it's nice to have a List of "Pearce" or "Historics" or "GT" then under those sub headings your custom mods for each.

Yes true you have to keep the mods up to date but that is half the fun too.

Hey P, you like hotlaps too, there is nothing stopping you making a closed server
    with mods and run 25 cars a session, drive all, all times retained and without
    a reload or cocking about with filters. ;)

P.S. Get online, 26 cars day/night up now. p

20. Lgel

Lgel Registered

You beat around the bush, I asked a simple question:

Why does the opponent list display:

MKCF1FW26
    Stockcar_2015
    AMGT3_SLSAMG
    AMGT3_BMWZ4GT3
    AC_427_Comp
    AC_4278_SC

Instead of:

AC_427_Comp
    AC_4278_SC
    AMGT3_BMWZ4GT3
    AMGT3_SLSAMG
    MKCF1FW26
    Stockcar_2015

You didn't give any answer to the question asked.

Cheers.