Online, servers with some level of driver aids?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glastolover, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Glastolover

Glastolover Registered

Are there any servers running with any small amount of drivers aid (mainly ABS would be appreciated)?

Every one I have been on has all driver aids disabled, except for auto clutch.

I must confess, I find playing on this hardcore level just a little too hard. I could blame it on my old (MS Sidewinder) wheel (!!) but can do quite well sometimes, but it is just so easy to spin out, particularly under braking. Too hard IMO, not realistic! Playing with some low level of aids on in single player feels much more realistic to me.

PS - sorry if this is not best place to post this, shouldn't there be an online/multiplayer sub forum?

Thanks all!

2. Glastolover

Glastolover Registered

Wot no replies?

Is everyone else just amazingly good at rF2 then?

:eek: :D

3. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Braking today is best done using a "loadcell" type brake pedal. Such pedals emulate the way a real life pedal works in a real car: Specifically, they increase or decrease their output based on increased or decreased PRESSURE on the brake pedal pad...and not MOVEMENT of the brake pedal pad. It's a subtle difference, sure...but it makes all the sense in the world too to most people who drive (or have driven) racing type vehicles in the real world--real brakes depend on how HARD you push the pedal (not how far)...and they respond too when you modulate said pressure (aka lift off).

Jackie Stewart (3 time F1 World Champion said: "The last thing I ever learned to do really well in an F1 car was to come OFF the brake pedal"). What he meant was this: He learned (at the end) to trade forward braking power (reducing it, moment by moment)...against increased cornering power (demanding more of it, moment by moment.)

Literally THE defintion, IMO, of working the limit of that one quadrant of Mark Donohue's famous "Tire Circle."

---

G: The point being: Your old MS brake pedal isn't a very good driving tool by today's standard. If you want to experience rF2 "better"...consider buying a modern FFB wheel and pedal set..and more specifically a modern LOAD-CELL brake pedal set.

I hear very good things about the Fanatec "Clubsport" pedals. I myself use a DIY hydraulic loadcell brake (which works in a very similar way to the clubsport dry loadcell set), and I can only say this: I would never, willingly give it up, now that I've used it for so long (five years or more in my case).

Buy the best driving tools you can afford if you want good results.

CS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
  4. r0j

r0j Registered

You may have tried this but the thing that made the biggest difference to my ability to completely laps consistently was to set the Brake Bias to 64:36 rather than the default 60:40. This will make the car MUCH more stable under braking into a corner. You could also try reducing the Brake Pressure to 95%.

I'm still a pretty crap driver but I can now at least participate in online racing and complete races.

Dom.

5. Glastolover

Glastolover Registered

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Load cell pedals sound ace. Is the G27 loadcell? I think not? I am thinking of upgrading to this, can't afford to go further up to Fanatec type costs. How did you make the DIY loadcell brake Christopher, sounds pretty cool. Can you link to any websites showing how to do it?

Have tried changing the brake bias and brake pressure Dom, didn't find much help, but maybe I need to spend some more time playing with this...

6. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Most of the FFB wheels and peddels are not load sell , Sure its more reolistic but you can put down a good time with a G25 using basic peddles.

What I have done is made the brake 100% force when 50% pushed down so I don't have to push the pedel down far to do full braking and can modulate braking by just putting gentle pressure on the brake.

The limitation of the sidewinder is that its FFB is probably week and slow.

RF2 has really good brake /skid sounds so you can use them to tell if you are on the limit of the car grip the FFB also goes limp when your car is understeering off due to too much speed in the corner letting you know if you are carrying the most speed possible through it.

I used to Drive with a MOMO wheel and that was Utter **** compared to G25 so I have no idea how bad a sidewinder would be compared to g25 but its probably not helping.

7. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

It's just a question of practice IMO.
    I run for 3 years on a basic Formula Force EX and have no problem ;)

So keep practicing and you'll manage to drive without aids !

8. Glastolover

Glastolover Registered

Fair comment, but can't agree. I just borrowed my mates Logitech G25, and from just a few short plays I cannot believe how much better rF2 plays!!! Not quite sure what it is, I guess it a number of things - the higher lock to lock angle making the steering higher resolution, the pedals are also much better. It also seems much more stable in the centre of the wheel, with no twitchiness that I sometimes get with the MS Sidewinder wheel. All in all the driving is just so much smoother and more responsive and the cars feel much more stable. Massively improved my lap times after just a few laps of playing.

I am quite amazed at the difference! I thought it would be better, but didn't realise how much. Like playing a different game!

So next upgrade a G25 or G27 wheel, means the gfx card upgrade will have to wait...

9. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

That's not the deal !

I agree with you, I would probably have more fun with that kind of wheel, but I can still enjoy the game anyway, without driving aids.