Online Racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vegaguy5555, Jul 15, 2017.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Hi everyone!
    I just upgraded my internet and I think it may be good enough for some online racing but am a little concerned. I read about people complaining about online racing and don't want my name added to that list.

Also rF2 in VR has really improved in the last couple of updates along with physics. I haven't tried DX9 lately but I am just having so much fun with DX11 in VR to take the time to switch back which in itself says it must be getting close or even better? I even find myself slowing too much for corners at times now, which is something I would do in a real car.

Good job Studio 397!

Where is the best place to find a group of people that is willing to give my driving and internet a try?

Thank you!

Alex72 likes this.
  2. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Wow! Had a look and I can say I'm overwhelmed.

Did not see much pre 70's cars or tracks.

As poor as the physics were in Gran Turismo I sure miss the online racing.

I am old and slow and like old and slow cars on fast tracks with bias ply tires.:)

Howton
    AC Cobra
    Lola T70
    F1 Spark

AC's ripped Nordschleife
    1966 Spa
    Targa Florio

4. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

Look for F3 Fanatics server on Saturdays, 3 PM PST. We drive old cars on great tracks with a very nice group of drivers. We don't keep points we just race for fun. We're currently running a few races with the 917, Rouen this week (tomorrow). Server's always up, but the official/unofficial races are Saturdays. See ya there!

So about an hour after posting this my wife says "aren't you racing today?" Yup, missed the race and don't even know what day it is.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Thanks.

Sorry. I just had to hit the like button a couple more times for that!!:p

Do you guys use Teamspeak?

6. jjcook

jjcook Registered

yes: 172.245.211.109

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Tried a few times recently and can't download. Content from server ?? Have in the past with you guys but not since new pc. Is it some setting on my AV do you think . Other servers are ok ??

8. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Look us over at: http://cmsracing.com/

I'm only just back online again myself there after about a five year layoff, and have driven just one race (which ended in a disco, sadly, after a 75 (of 90) minute run in the Enduracers mod GTE Porsche (for rF2). Shouldn't happen again, as I'm now on a fast, and much more solid cable connection.

CMS has a league (or sometimes just a team) for just about everything--still running a Richard Burns Rally team, for example.
    rF2, iRacing, Assetto Corsa...pick yer poison. The only real requirement is that you do use your real name...so think that over if you need to stay incognito for some reason.

[I'm the same there as here, FYI]

There is also a historics series, and the MNRL sub-squad is currently alternating between Porsche 914-6s (using a derivative of our CSGT mod), and F2 cars from the late 70's. Both of those will require use of (ideally), an H-shifter, or (if using paddles) at least the use of "lift-and-shift" driving to emulate use of a stick.

We use Teamspeak as well, but use is not mandated--it's a jabber channel until qual and race time, when it gets a bit more focused.

-----

BTW, I've raced in the past against Tucker up there (good guy...<wave>), and you can believe what he says.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Tucker Fleming likes this.
  9. Tucker Fleming

Yeah bwana, we did a race a couple weeks ago at Road America with the 917's and used a very hard to find copy of the track and 'get track' didn't work. I had to get it from Birtwell and mediafire. Best thing is to find the server well before race time, join it and if you can't join, note the track and version. Then try to find it and manually dl/install. Bryan is trying to use ISI or workshop stuff from now on to help facilitate joining and hopefully increase participation as well.
    I don't know how much longer we'll run the 917's,so far we're all having a ball with them.
    Cheers Vegaguy, hope to see you at the races!

vegaguy5555 and bwana like this.
  10. jjcook

jjcook Registered

tucker you missed the spectacular roeun race - so...i beat you and nikos....we need some dx 11

Tucker Fleming likes this.
  11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I'll be popping in too if its ok. :) Old cars in rF2 is my fav's!

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  12. yonder45

yonder45 Registered

I recently got into the game and these old cars are so cool!

Alex72 and vegaguy5555 like this.
  13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yeah indeed! Try historic EVE cars (try all but the F3's) on Belgium 66' if you havent. :) Both the speed of the track and the bumpiness make it such an amazing experience. The other oldies are great too, but that was the first combo i did in rF2 and i was blown away.

Oh and if you havent - get Oulton Park on Steam Workshop. That track is one of my favs and its good for such a range of cars.

14. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Oulton Park? I'm going to have to give it a go!:)

I've been working nights lately and haven't been able to to do a race yet. I must have offended the Racing Gods!:(

I feel..... shame!:(

Alex72 likes this.
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yup, the chicane version good for modern cars or if you want more corners, lol, and the one without is purrfect for almost any oldie. And Fosters the shortest one is great for F3 or any other slower cars. Historic Sparks F2 cars B version for a tiny bit downforce (gives "1 click" wing front and back) is great there on the international long version without chicanes. The long straight that goes over the small hill is even scary to do flat out the first couple times. :)

Screw work mate we gotta get online and burn up some tracks together! :D;)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  16. yonder45

yonder45 Registered

Yay, can't wait to try that! Thanks

Alex72 likes this.
  17. jjcook

jjcook Registered

there is pick up racing tonight - www.premiersimtracing .com is the server - 79's at dijon....spread the word - 9 eastern or thereabouts

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  18. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Is someone hosting right now? Would love to do a couple of laps. :)

Found a server with Oulton Park and Radical. Why is rF2 downloading the track when i already have it? Takes forever thanks to i guess the slow internet they have wherever its being uploaded from. The Oulton Park folder that has the version number (right under the root folder of the track) has a (1) at the end of the version number which it hink means its been replaced with what was already there.

Is this standard for MP? That you have to sit and wait for cars and tracks to download even though you already have them? I tried 3 times before to join servers that had combos i already had and it was the same deal. Took so long i cancelled all 3 times.

EDIT: NVM they are running the old version...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  19. Tucker Fleming

!!F3 Fanatics! 917ks has 917s at Brianza right now...we have the race in a couple hours...

bwana likes this.
  20. bwana

bwana Registered

great combo. Been offline racing the radicals there.

Alex72 likes this.