Online racing: Weather in warm up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skovby33, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Skovby33

Skovby33 Registered

Is there any way to control the weather during warm-up before an online race?

At Champion Motorsport (www.cmsracing.com) we always have a 10 min warm up between qaul and race. It is our experince that some how the weather in the race is reflected in the warm up: If we want the race to start dry, and the have 50% chance of rain through the rest of the race, it always rains during warm up - and we start on a wet track. Last night we set the rain chance in the race to 100% at half way and dry before and after. Result: We had a very brief shower half way through warm-up. The question is can weather during warm-up be controlled?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Only via a plugin.

3. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

You can edit manually the wet file under track settings.

4. Skovby33

Skovby33 Registered

Gerald - Could you be a little more specific? Thx

5. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

6. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

If you don't use my weather tool (the server), when you define weather from rF2 settings, it will generate a file having the ".wet" extension under the settings directory under your profile directory. Inder setting looks for the directory matching you track/configuration and you will find thr wet file. Edit it with notepad and i think you should find a secrion for warmup. If not then maybe you cannot set static weather for warmup sessions.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I could be wrong, but I think there are only sections for practice, qualifying, and race. Multiple practice sessions all get the same weather, all qual sessions get the same weather, and all race sessions get the same weather. Warmup replicates the race weather, scaled to its length, so if there'll be rain halfway through your 3 hour race you'll also get rain halfway through your 10 minute warmup. Kind of takes the surprise out of it.

I was among those asking for more sections (preferably 13 of them to cover all sessions) at least a year ago but we got the plugin weather interface instead. Shame it can't handle cloud properly. But the compromise solution is the .wet file to set your session weather that transitions properly and then use a plugin to control the weather during warmup so at least people can't see what will happen during the race.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This is obviously ridiculous and not the way it should be. The Warmup weather should be the same as the first section of the Race weather (whatever that hs been set to). Another item for ISI to fix rather than a bunch of us spending time on work-arounds.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

Give people weather and the next thing you know, they want to control it. <joke!>

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

1. Something obvious (and I agree it is) generally doesn't need saying.
    2. You're making a rash decision yourself there - warmup will generally be just before the race (hence the name) but depending on the series not necessarily; also the length could vary massively, so just making the weather match the race start isn't a good solution for all people.

Handing control to the user/admin is fair enough (ideally not needed; the game would have random options, location-specific parameters, user-definable parameters... but we know ISI is small, so if they can palm off the tedious stuff and get on with fixing bugs and building extra framework that seems reasonable), we just need some proper control. That could have been done with more options in the .wet file (as I described) but you still have the problem of the .wet file only being read at each 'new track' (restarting the weekend doesn't read it) which brings its own problems. The plugin idea seemed good but has several flaws as well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we have a decent solution yet and it seems better solutions could have been implemented a long time ago even if they weren't the final goal (still better for all the people actually using the software in the meantime, rather than looking at it occasionally as a proof of concept). But jumping up and down in various threads isn't helping... you could maybe argue it might prompt changes, but you've been doing it a long time and it doesn't seem to work.