Once more; ISI's suspension spreadsheet......

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Working on the F1-2015 mod, something went wrong.
    I want to do the spreadsheet all over again and there where it worked "okay" with the Zonda (more luck than wisdom) I struggle again with this.

I've seen more questions like this here on the forum, but never saw some proper answers. Maybe by now, someone knows a bit more......?

- So, it creates a pm and chassis.ini file. > What values do you fill in there in the first place than? Pm, ini, real life?

- The pushrod connections; they seem really weird as in the HDV, they are "relative to wheelcentre". You have to recalculate them?

- For instance kolumn L where you fill in properties of the suspension arm; where should one get those values?

- O/P 19 and down; same thing. Some of those values are in the hdv or pm, but not all; how do you know what to fill in there?

It's full of those things that I can't properly say of where to get- or what to fill in values.

Anyone knows more about this? Some advise is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ow well, it's okay now...... :)

I couldn't get it to work; tried everything.
    Than I thought I'd do it manually with the tutorial in devcorner; wheels went up in the air. Tried everything again; nothing! I did it exactly like the tut said........
    ISI warns that it must look like their example; clicking on it: "not found".......pfffff.......can't I have a break yet??

I can't load the car in ptool, but after a few hours of......well, "not saying nice words to the screen".......I got it in there; finally!!
    Went step by step, took the liberty myself of setting the extra baljoints (for the body) to "normal" instead of the original "disabled" and drove the car.

It went "okay".......just to read: "when the car is driving fine right now; you made a mistake".......crap! Hehe, done what they said after letting it make it's own inertia's and indeed; it feels better.
    Now I have to fine-tune it; most of the work to get it running in the first place is done :)

Anyway.....started at 11:36 in the morning and worked almost straight until now; 02:11 am.
    Time for bed; busy day fine-tuning tomorrow ;)

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Alpha-Bravo, I worked with tha before and it IS an amazing program.......but I can't work with it sadly.

Anyway; it works now.

Would you mind commenting on the sound again in the WIP topic F1 2015? I didn't get your last line in there and I asked about it.

5. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi navigator,

I' m also still struggeling with suspension parameters.

I noticed, a big effect has the new pushrod Definition of Ultra chassis ini files. The new Kind of hdv defines pushrod very tricky. I realized this very late last week.

The position of pushrod (body and spindle) seems to be relative to the ultra chassis ini file, spindle and the two subbodies Positions. These subbodies (Front and rear) do not exist in pm file, only in the new ultrachassis ini file. If the ultrachassis ini file does not exist, or is set as comment, or even if the labelname of spindle is wrong (LF_spindle instead of FL_spindle) the pushrod position is undefined and may cause a CtD.
    So, the ultrachassis ini file is very importand and has to be read first, before you can calculate pushrod- positions from hdv file. I haven't understood yet the meaning of pushrod or how the pushrod has to be set or calculated, but i'll figure it out. May be it has a correlation to springrate. Any hint from your experience would be great.

In my next version of suspension editor this calculations will be integrated.

Hope this helps.

;) Leonardo (Peter)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for your post, gives me something to think about.
    I haven't found out anything new and haven't got the pushrods working; they are still "the old" versions.......

I had to leave it alone for a while as it was driving me cray.
    Jumped to the steering and I want the newer version like in the topic about the spreadsheet before: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23316-ISI-Suspension-spreadsheet-Steering-Wheel-issue
    I was just reading it as this issue gives me headaches too.

The reason I want that one, is because I am pretty sure the Ackermann principle is in there and not in the old version. (Ackermann: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry )

I did get the front- and rear subbody's in the ini, but just barely; playing around with it now to try and understand more.

So, sadly there is no experience really; I got it working from the tutorial in devcorner: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/introduction-to-physics-tool-ptool-and-flexible-chassis/ And that is all I got. I have made no meaningful alterations yet regarding the pushrods, sorry.