On Track Chat Window Font Readability

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Deadpedal, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

There is science and research behind readability of type face/fonts. The small-caps font in the on-track chat window is one of the most difficult to read at a glance and fast reading of the chat window on track is of paramount importance. The fine line and and almost double-wide pitch exacerbate the problem. Might I suggest that the font be changed to something akin to highway signage, i.e. FHWA, Clearview or the UK's Transport, basically something was designed to be read by drivers at speed.

While I'm at it, the UI designers should be more cognizant of certain colours of fonts on top of certain background colours. Although the most critical to avoid is the well known bright-red on blue*, the orange on medium grey can also confuse the eye's focus.

*Because the human eye suffers a little from chromatic aberration, these colours focus at the retina at significantly different distances from the lens, giving a noticeable 3D effect. It's also why amber-yellow eye glasses for driving and shooting can sharpen the vision by filtering out blue light.

And I HATE software spell-checkers that tell me I'm spelling colour wrong!

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Set spellchecker to UK-English then :)

But yeah, I support your quest, already mentioned this elsewhere but buried in a thread. especially the red is doing my head in, simply can't read it unless I put my nose on the screen.

3. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

"It's also why amber-yellow eye glasses for driving and shooting can sharpen the vision by filtering out blue light" . And the amber-yellow makes it MUCH better to see when its raining, especially if they are polarized.

4. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered