Nvidia: Stuttering and low frame rate

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by lmp2, Jan 7, 2017.

1. lmp2

lmp2 Registered

I have read plenty on this, but there does not yet seem to be a conclusive answer.
    I am running dual SLI Nvidia 1080 GTX GPUs with an 8 core Intel i7 6900k CPU, so plenty of processing power. However, I still suffer from low fps at higher details (I have lowered and this partially rectifies), and very bad stuttering. I have read this is possibly related to the SLI bridge between the cards and alternate rendering of frames between the cards. I am not overly fussed about outstanding track or scenery detail, what I do want is fast control response times, high fps (so it doesn't become tiring after a long period) and accurate physics responses. I use RF2 as a race simulator on a simulation rig so it is the mechanical and physics realism which is important. Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Why the heck 1080 in SLI???? 5 monitors or what? For a normal 3 monitor-setup one 1080 is enough and it will run fluid and smooth.
    There are some tricks with sli-bits to adjust in nvidia control-center. Try search function.

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I may be wrong but I seem to recall rF doesn't like SLI.

F1Aussie likes this.
  4. lmp2

lmp2 Registered

I think you may be right having checked around a bit. I will disable SLI and see what happens.
    Thanks

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

yep, runs better with a single card.

6. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

@lmp2
    Default RF2 SLI profile which coming with nVidia drivers is very old and in plain words - it just sucks.

If you are familiar with NVinspector software, you can change that SLI profile (SLI bits dx9) and use the SLI bits which should work much better, one of these two:

0x02F00403
    0x02D04005

Can't remember which one worked better, I have no SLI anymore. But I think I have used the first one, the second one is Batman SLI profile which also worked good.

If that would not be better, than disabling one card would be last option..

7. atlantakat

atlantakat Registered

Here is the best solution I found to get better SLI performance -- it worked better for me than the Batman setting in Inspector.
    I apologize to the member who posted it as I no longer have a link to the thread to give proper attribution:

Nvidia pure SLI performance is known issue in rFactor2 and it is not Windows 10 or Steam issue.The last Nvidia profile is from 2011 and produces 40-50% GPU loads +-30 fps in sli versus 60 fps for a single card.
    SLI performance is not being only based in GPU drivers but the game programming as well. It is easy to understand when NVidia profile (rFactor2 Mod Mode.exe, rFactor2.exe) is created 2011-09-22. gMotor2 has been updated many times after 2011-09-22 with additional SLI optimizations etc. and the latest build of the rF2 executable`s has never been submitted Nvidia so that an updated working SLI profile can be created Nvidia SLI don`t work as it should.

Here is the fix.

Open Nvidia inspector rFactor2 profile.

Compatibility:
    SLI comparability bits: 0x02402004

Sync and refresh:
    Maximum pre rendered frames: 1

Common:
    Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance.

UserData > player folder and open player.JASON file and edit:
    "Max Framerate":60,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",
    "Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

rFactor2 video settings:
    Mode > Fullscreen
    Anti Aliasing > 3-6
    HDR> on