Nvidia sli

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NunoPinto, Jan 11, 2014.

1. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

Hi guys,
    Yesterday I got my second GTX660, so I started to search for guides and other people "profiles" and all of them didn't work, I spent about 2 hours on this and I have a SSD that helps a lot with loading times.
    The problem is both FPS and stuttering, basically is very bad, unplayable.
    I have been trying with the Honda Civic in Loch Drummond.

Do you guys have any tips?

Thanks

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I had 2x GTX 460 and the only way i could get the performance to be smooth was to use the ingame vsync option set to "Video". The game became extremely smooth, absolutely no stuttering but there was one gigantic pitfall, it incurred a 0.2-0.3 second input lag. Consider the fact that the human reaction timing is about 0.25s and you can see why it's not an ideal solution but it does/should work.

I sold my cards and bought a single GTX 670 after learning about the input lag and wanting to drive without it but it's not exactly fun when the sim is constantly stuttering away.

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Look here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/15090-Build-300-SLI-Nvidia-Surround-Performance
    and
    here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12633-4x-Better-Graphics-and-way-more-FPS-Guide

4. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

5. datanode

datanode Registered

Sadly, I have yet to see much of a positive for running SLI in rfactor2.

There is always a chance the drivers will get new options that help, but the ones that have been added as of now have already been mentioned in this thread (I think, maybe beta drivers?)

There is also the possibility that the game could improve, but, it seems quite clear that at the moment SLI is not the way to get performance in rf2.

Sorry, hope you find some good alternative advice, but don't hold your breath for it.

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Testing different drivers, settings and nvi profiles is pretty complex. The chance to made a mistake or do some things in the wrong order is high.

Sometimes it helps to delete all nvidia profiles and a clear uninstall of all nvidia drivers and applications.
    I had this one time and the clear uninstall solved it for me.

I've used this for the uninstall:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-uninstaller-ddu-v10-0-v2-released-01-03-14-/
    after that the tip from magus (you can find it in the above posted thread) my fps was doubled.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
  7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have a gtx 690 and I always have one gpu disabled because of the terrible stuttering... When I first got the 690, I had a clean install of windows, and latest drivers (320.49) and I tried a lot of different settings. Finally I had very good fps, but the stuttering made it unplayable, so SLI disabled. I'll never, ever have a sli/crossfire configuration again. Fortunately this gpu has power enough to run rf2 with single gpu.

8. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

I've uninstalled the drivers with that program, installed last drivers(same as before)then I just entered the game, no more stuttering with acceptable fps (around 120), after that I just put AA in SLI x8 and voila, 96 to 99% usage on both gpu's :D with a avarage of 90/95 fps.
    AWESOME! AND BIG THANKS!

9. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

In Mores the stuttering returned. OMG
    I tried to lower the settings, the fps went up but the stuttering stayed the same.
    It's always on the same parts, the GPUS are in 99% and in some parts drop to 75% causing the stutter.

Ideas?

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

No idea...sorry

I always had good gpu usage but stutter anyway.

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Tried to enable SLI again and I noticed flickering reflections on all cars. Someone else noticed this? Disappears when I disable SLI again... Anyway, crazy stuttering so it doesn't really matter. Single gpu for me.

12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Eventually got rid of the stuttering by limiting the fps (to 100 in my case). Tried it at croft and it was very smooth. Actually I got rid of the screen tearing that I usually have with single gpu and fps capped...
    GPU usage 98% but dropped to 65-75 all the time, looked like a roller-coaster. But as I said I had no stuttering with "max framerate" enabled in player file. Still the annoying flickering reflections on my car, and no fps boost.

@NunoPinto
    If you have not tried it yet, cap your fps.
    If your lowest fps is 85 for example, cap it to 80 and maybe it removes the stutter. Seem to work for me.

13. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

I tried 70 fps, same stuttering.
    Tried 60 fps same thing.
    Tried different configs and the result was the same.:(

14. Harmermania

Harmermania Registered

I have buttery smooth FPS with sli 780's with 3 screen multiview. I keep it at 120 with adaptive vsync (and lightboost). BUT HDR has to be off. If it's on I get horrible FPS.

15. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

With adaptive VSync and HDR off helped but the stuttering is still there, the input lag is huge with adaptive vsync

16. Harmermania

Harmermania Registered

There's almost no input lag with vsync and lightboost. KeiKei has a good thread on it.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Something else must be causing you input lag because adaptive vsync is just normal vsync but only turns on when your fps is above your refresh rate (which helps solve some stutter and/or tearing if you have any). There isn't really anything to cause input lag by using adaptive vsync.

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

If you have running any plugins disable them for testing. Since I'm not sure which impact the d3d injector plugins as Trackmap have. I have disabled them.
    Try to lower the resolution for a test run and see what happen.

19. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

I don't have any plugins installed, so that is certainly not the problem.
    About the adaptive vsync it's quite simple to enable, unless I have to enable something in the game as well.
    The input lag is very very noticeable, so it's not in "my head" also.

20. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Try to disable replay and see if it change something. Had this with Silverstone.
    For your Info very less micro stuttering I have also and always but very very less.
    Try to sync the gpu frequency if they boost different and gap the fps by for example 75 if can reach it stable.
    Important to reduce the stuttering mostly it is a combination of settings so it is long way of try and error until you become a good result.