Nvidia drivers version and FPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cosimo, May 25, 2013.

1. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Hi all,

I run rFactor2 on an Asus laptop NV56 i7 with Nvidia GT650m.
    It works ok, but you know, FPS is never enough.

This morning I upgraded Nvidia drivers to latest available 320.18.
    After doing that, I experienced micro slow downs ("micro-stutterings"), for which I blamed everything else first.
    But it was actually the driver.

Removing 320.18 and going back to 306.97 I now get 60 FPS (my max with VSync on) where I was getting 40-44 before. Everything else being the same exact configuration as before, and I mean even car and track, which you know makes a difference with Rf2.

So pay attention to the drivers you're using and do not upgrade trusting that newer will be better.

Enjoy.

2. zenrael

zenrael Registered

Interesting. I might have to try this. I just updated to 320 too but I've only been trying to improve FPS since then.

3. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Agree with you, I too had to dump 320.18 for the previous driver because of triple screen configuration differences and the brightness of one monitor compared to the other two. It is amazing too the when reading the change log the GTX680 and 690 are never mentioned.

4. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Did you guys do a clean install?
    I also run the 320.18 and I did not see any slowdown or adverse effects.
    I never install the additional stuff...just the driver, audio and physx. No 3d controller or updater.

5. zenrael

zenrael Registered

To be honest I just installed it straight on top of the other one. Does it really make a difference to do a clean install? If so, why?

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I suspect only ISI can answer this question. But if it is so easy why does ISI have problems with the autoupdater? It would be rather simple then, except they try to update from version X to version X+Y in one step.

7. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

You don't need to go through the hassle of removing the various components...but by checking the clean install box, the new installation will revert all settings to their default.

8. zenrael

zenrael Registered

I meant the nvidia drivers guys, not the latest rfactor build.

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I see, my brain wasn't operating right. I always simply install new driver and click the "clean install" box too. Didn't try the new 320.18 though.