NRTServers.com / Dave Stanley

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hoover, Jun 30, 2023.

1. hoover

hoover Registered

Hi folks,

does anybody know what happened to nrtservers.com? The account has been suspended according to the hoster's website and I cannot get in touch with Dave Stanley... any info (PM is fine) would be nice.

I see he has an account on here, too (Dave-NRT), but his last activity was in 2021.

Thanks in advance & all the best,

Uwe

2. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Hi mate, sry only just saw this. Yes Dave and NRT are still going. I speak with him fairly regularly on TS.
    Paul (F3-Fanatics)

88mphTim likes this.
  3. hoover

hoover Registered

Thanks for your reply nonamenow, I'll contact you via PM if that's ok.

All the best,

uwe

nonamenow likes this.
  4. Axo

Axo Registered

Sorry to bump a slightly old thread
    @hoover Did you manage to get hold of Dave? Is he still the hoster for rFactor 1 matchmaking?
    Would love to chat with someone about getting up a dedicated, I still avidly play rFactor one/ racing & drifting. It's sad to see "matchmaking temporarily unavailable" when there are many members who could happily host from our ends.
    Cheers
    J

5. hoover

hoover Registered

No up to date news I'm afraid... what is involved in setting up an rfactor1 matchmaking service? If it's just a DNS entry on the client side that gets queried then it should be possible to add a different IP address for the service in your hosts file (yep, windows has one, too :))

I have no idea though how the matchmaker service itself is hosted.

All the best,

Uwe

6. Axo

Axo Registered

Ah that is a shame, I would imagine it has a path link in rfactor files connecting you to the matchmaking server, same for windows host etc. If that line is replaced & shared then I'm sure it would work. Guess I will have to try it and see what happens

J

7. hoover

hoover Registered

So what is involved in running the rfactor matchmaker server? Is it a standalone binary / script that can be run on a VM? I'd be happy to help hosting it. I'm sure the friendly folks over at gplrank would be able to support the community, too.

Cheers, Uwe

8. Axo

Axo Registered

I have never ran something on that scale only servers through the server maker stuff that programs supply, if you take a look in the multiplayer.ini found these on the 29th line:

Alternate Matchmaker Address="match.rfactor.net" // Address of the alternate ISI Matchmaking server
    Matchmaker TCP Port="39001" // TCP port to use when communicating with the Matchmaking Server
    Matchmaker UDP Port="39002" // UDP port to use when communicating with the Matchmaking Server

if you were to host an address, change the mulitplayer.ini then share it, anyone who downloads it should technically be able to see your hosting list? am I thinking correctly?

9. hoover

hoover Registered

Sadly I don't think it works like this. I guess there's a program running at match.rfactor.net where the rfactor servers themselves report to, list their cars, tracks, drivers etc.

so once you access the rfactor lobby in-game, your rfactor client will connect to match.rfactor.net Port 39001, retrieve the list of hosted games and then display it to you.

Pointing match.rfactor.net to a different IP using your windows hosts file is not much of a problem, I guess obtaining the software that runs on match.rfactor.net might be however.

Currently this host name points to

67.177.245.172.in-addr.arpa. 300 IN PTR 172-245-177-67-host.nrtservers.com.

which looks like something in Dave's network / domain. Sadly, nothing / nobody is answering the phone on tcp port 39001:

# telnet match.rfactor.net 39001
    Trying 172.245.177.67...
    ^C

So if we could get our hands on whatever software runs on this IP on one of Dave's servers, we could set up a new dedicated matchmaker on gplrank or wherever.

Getting the DNS entry changed to a new IP should not be much of an issue I hope, the domain is still actively hosted (check www.rfactor.net) and even contains references to studio 397 & friends.

All the best,

uwe

EDIT: Just found this in the FAQ:

- Is the rFactor ISI matchmaker down?
    rFactor is now Steam-only. Server listings are available in the Steam client. Hosts need to be using the Steam version for it to show there. IP direct connection is always available, and most leagues use that.

10. Axo

Axo Registered

Steam doesn't make a difference, it's been down for a long time although matchmaking still works if you connect directly via IP address but I'm having issues with getting my mod to be driveable, currently only have one car that's working online, anytime we add more its just making the server be unable to load anything.

As you say, multiple people trying to get hold of someone to host and we're all being ignored, speaks volumes for the future of this matchmaker, its dead and gone mate because people just don't care.

EDIT: Maybe it is in the come back just need to be patient?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  11. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Correct, I made that change when porting rF1 to Steam. The old matchmaker was a PC under a desk at the ISI offices (or at least that's the story I was told at the time) and I thought it would be a good idea to have all dedicated servers announce themselves on the Steam matchmaker too. Turns out that was a good idea, as the original matchmaker was shut down long time ago. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that you indeed use the Steam version of the dedicated server. Older versions simply lack the code to announce themselves on Steam.

Axo likes this.
  12. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

If you're meaning Dave @ NRT not responding, I doubt you'll hear back. His health is not good and he's been winding the business back. Pretty sure he was down to 1 rack still running. We're his oldest customer and we're preparing other options as we expect NRT to finish up at some stage. We haven't heard back from him in months and it used to be minutes once. Website gone and I don't think his email is active anymore either.

13. redapg

redapg Registered

I maybe can help you out with this.
    If you are interested, contact me by a private Conversation.

14. Axo

Axo Registered

How would one go about getting the Steam dedicated server program? I have the EU disc version & never knew rFactor went to steam until recently.
    I thought that might be the case but didn't want to bring it up, hope he is doing alright.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

afaik it's a windows service that was running through aws for ip forwarding of some sort. the ip would currently have to be changed in the aws profile, and you'd need to get the service running on a server.

16. Jesus Piña Garcia

Jesus Piña Garcia Registered

I have hosting available to host the rFacor matchmaking, if anyone has information on how to do it we can set it up totally free

17. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Neither Bryan nor myself have had any luck getting in touch with Dave for a long time. I have today sent an email to his colocator and provider to see if they can provide me with any info as to who is managing things. I will post as soon as I hear anything.

Jesus Piña Garcia likes this.
  18. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Stay tuned for some news.

19. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Ok, Dave's rF1 Matchmaker Service should hopefully be up and running tomorrow. Will post details as soon as it is.

20. Jesus Piña Garcia

Jesus Piña Garcia Registered

Is this serious?