Not really feeling connected to the car through FFB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gevatter, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

Good evening!

I've been playing around in rFactor2 for a few hours now, even attempted - after watching an the instruction video about it - to learn how to drive the Skip Barber properly around Lime Rock Park. The thing is, I don't really feel what the car is doing. I'm watching a lot of videos about rFactor2 racing and been reading about how good and detailed the FFB in this Sim is, like Empty Box talking about how he can feel the tires and suspension load up into a corner and then let go when hes over the grip limit. I'm still playing GTR2 and GTL, also Stock Car Extreme, Formula Truck and Assetto Corsa, and in all those, I feel a lot more connected to the ground compared to rFactor2. Especially the Skippy for me feels a lot like driving on Ice. Under braking for example, I have no idea if the rear is going to go past me, or if I'm about to lock up.

Now, I know that there is some tweaking involved to get the most out of the effects here. I've worked through the fantastic guide by DrR1pper, changed the settings according to Wheel Check, and it did get better but still not what I hear people talking about. I am still using my trusty old G25, and I have also read a lot about how the old Logitech wheels just have quite weak motors.

Although I do have an eye on the Fanatec CSW V2, buying another wheel is not an option at the moment. So, the question is, is there anything more I can do to get a better feel for the car? What I have done is, set the overall effects strength in the profiler to 90% as it is the most linear according to Wheel check. The Min Force is at 7.5%, as thats the point the wheel stops oscillating when moving the car slowly. The ingame car specific FFB mulitplier I've cranked up to where on the Pedal Overlay Plugin, it gets close to the top but does not go into red through a fast corner. For the Skippy, it is around 1.2. Smoothing is at 5, and that's already a lot of rattling over curbs and when flatspotted. I'm not very confident around the .json files, but maybe there is something in there that could help?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2015
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

A G25 is what it is, so overall forces without clipping are low. I wouldn't worry too much about linearity on it as the range just isn't there. I splurged for the CSW v2 and haven't looked back, but the budget solution is a Thrustmaster T300.

3. hangon

hangon Registered

thrustmaster t300 with 599xxxevo 30 alcantara wheel as a package and you will be very happy and still some money left in your wallet...though the cswv2 is nice if your pockets are deeper

4. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Try with a lower FFB multiplier.
    You're not supposed to feel much from the rear, with a low power wheel like the G25.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

There is a huge variability from car to car in rF2...more than there should be if they were all simulated equally. Try the "799" (Porsche 911) from the Apex GT3 mod--right out of the box, no changes, and see if you still think there is no connection to the track. If the answer is yes, then you have a settings problem somewhere. If you think no, it feels OK, then you have to wait for some indeterminate amount of time for various cars to get updated to a more realistically "weighty" feel. Try the ISI Brabham BT20 as well as the Spark and EVE historics. They should feel "normal." The Honda NSX should also feel pretty good. Some/many other cars will feel weightless by comparison.

6. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Be sure nothing like steering help is interfering with the ffb/feel.

7. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

Hi, thank you all for your input.

After reading through the thread it seems there is no way around a new wheel in the long run, and I expected that. I'm already saving up for a better wheel, and come summer I should be able to upgrade, to either a Thrustmaster T500RS or a Fanatec CSW, although I'm undecided, because there are good and bad things to be read about both of them. I'm leaning more towards the CSW to be honest.

I've tried that, but lowering the FFB Multiplier only makes the game communicate even less. I'm sticking with the guide on this one, to go as high as possible without clipping in the Pedal Overlay.

Thanky a lot for that. I tried what you recommended and ran the Apex 799 several laps around Silverstone on light Rubber preset, and there is definitely good feedback to be felt. It's not like I can feel detailed grip build-up on turn-in - due to my old wheel I presume - but I can definitely tell when the front or rear is about to let go and counteract correspondingly. I tried the Spark F3 and the NSX before, and they both feel alright with standard setup. I guess with a little more fiddling there is more to it. Same with the Flat6 Mod. I also tried the ISI Camaro GT3 on Donington Park, and that really felt like driving on a cloud. So I'm gonna cherry pick the cars I drive for now and hope for updates.

I'm driving with all aids off, except low TC & ABS on the GT3 Cars for realism, and I had my wheel detected in the beginning and saved my controller profiles from that standard, so there shouldn't be anything like that active. Or are there any hidden parameters I might not be aware of?

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

" driving on ice, locking up .................."

You are too used to inferior physics is all :)

rF2 will start to shine for you, don't you worry about that.

Stick with it.

9. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

Oh I have no doubt I'll get the hang of it eventually, with a new wheel and all.
    My question was not to complain about car handling in rF2 and more about trying to improve the feedback and detail on my current steering wheel. I can't very well react to something I don't see (feel) coming ;)

10. Hash

Hash Registered

You made sure to of set "min steering force" in options? go high and bring back till really nice solid feeling in middle of wheel, essential setting with G25\27.

11. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Might be helpful...

don't kill me but currently I run my G25 with:

FFB sensitivity at 2.0
    FFB min torque at 10%
    FFB Multiplier at 1.0

And it is starting to make sense sometimes. Haha.

In Logi-Settings I have everything at 100 % (excluding centerspring effect at 0%)

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You drive GTs etc ?

My F3-Rookies is up come I show you all that will go out the window. :)

13. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Yes I know. ;) Eve's and Spark's feel great out of the box with an G25. At least, that's what I've experienced. But I do drive the F1 Eve's with my new settings too. Usually I alter the multiplier ingame. Set it lower.

And yes, normally I drive GT cars, but it also feels great with the ASR formula cars.

14. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I thing which helped me was to grab the wheel more loose. Don't hold it to tight or crampend and try to feel the small variations in force.
    Also try everything you can to reduce input lag, because that's usually another reason for feeling disconnected.

15. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

the best feeling I get with the Skippy :), no idea why this is so.:confused:

16. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

Yep, as mentioned in the starting post. I even went higher and am now at 12% Min Force for testing. Although the wheel does wobble a tiny bit when standing still, but not when moving.

I grip it quite tight with my left hand, but rather loose with the right, needing to go for the stick shifter and such, but I will try that.
    Input lag is not a problem I think. It's not that I feel the car go off but am too late to catch it, but rather the car just slides away without the wheel even hinting at it.

The Skippy is one of those I have the most problems with getting the feedback I need to correct slides. Are you using a G25/G27? If so, what settings do you run with?

17. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

no, i use a Fanatec CSW