No smoke from own car, buttons missing in menu, how to get the car in reverse?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by sgatke, Feb 6, 2013.

1. sgatke

sgatke Registered

Hey all
    I have been running rFactor2 on and off for a year. Yesterday, I installed Build 146 from the previous version (134?), using the autoupdater. Now, to be honest, I did not get much running on the previous version, so I am not sure where and when my issues started. Anyway, I hope a little advice from you guys could help me out.

I ran a few online races with some friends last night, and I noticed a few issues. I am quite sure these are not bugs, but simply an issue with my setup.
    1) I run with a G25 wheel & pedals. I use the paddles for shifting. I were unable to get the car in reverse (or even neutral) by using the paddles. They worked fine for normal up- and downshifting, but never from 1 to N or N to R. What am I doing wrong in my wheel setup? I am using the default G25 profile in the game.

2) I tend to block my brakes and slide around on the track. Never once did I see any smoke from my own car. Plenty of smoke from the other cars in the race though. Is there some graphic setting that I should look for? My friends reported smoke from my wheels :)

3) In the menu, when loading a controller profile, selecting a car or a track, I noticed that I am missing the buttons for OK and Cancel (or whatever they are called, since I can't see them). By moving the mouse around the lower part of the selection screen and clicking in the blind, I managed to sometimes hit what should have been 'OK' (lower left) other times I hit 'Cancel' (lower right).

Perhaps 2) and 3) are related?

My system is an I7-920, 24GB RAM, nVidia 680 GPU. Yesterday I ran the game in 1600x10xx, but I have also tried 1920x1080 and having the same issues. Framerates were generally very good, usually between 90-120 fps.

When I get home tonight, I will try to uninstall and reinstall the game to see if that helps.

If you have any other ideas I should try, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

/Simon

2. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

They worked fine for normal up- and downshifting, but never from 1 to N or N to R.....

I had the above problem on a DFGT during the version before 134. I had to create a wheel button for "reverse". Haven't had it since that version.

Did you update or install fresh version 146?
    Since the time that the auto updater started working, I have tried that route.
    I generally end up doing a fresh install rather than the update method.

3. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

4. sgatke

sgatke Registered

Thank you both for your suggestions.
    I will do a complete reinstall of rFactor2 when I get home tonight.

5. sgatke

sgatke Registered

A reinstall solved the issues with "smoke from own car" and the graphics glitch in the menu by reinstalling rFactor 2.
    Actually, it took two tries, but that was because I did not realize that the uninstall procedure did not delete the user folders. After deleting manually, and then reinstalling the sim, it worked like a charm.
    As has been mentioned, it was probably a leftover from an earlier update that screwed up the system.

After experimenting a little, I found out that by pressing both paddles simultaneously, the car (Megane in this case) switches to Neutral, and from there I could shift to Reverse.

So, problems solved and now I really enjoy rFactor 2.

6. JGraf

JGraf Registered

do-not assign a NEUTRAL axis in settings/controls, leave the axis [EMPTY]
    this will allow you to shift thru neutral as normal.

7. DavidG

DavidG Registered

sgatke, I think these settings in the controller.ini are the root of the shifting behavior.

Alternate Neutral Activation="1" // whether to select neutral if shift up & shift down are pressed simultaneously
    Stop Sequential if Neutral Configured="1" // whether configuring neutral prevents sequential shifts into neutral from 1=1st, 2=reverse, 3=both, or 0=neither