NEED INFO No engine sound in rfactor 2 and problems downloading mods

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by rf2newbie, Oct 9, 2013.

1. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

Hello,

I have an issue I already read about, being unable to solve it with the hints I found. My engine sounds are missing since I installed a couple of mods. First only new cars' engines remained silent, later there were no engine sounds at all. Reinstalling did not help and I don't find rfactor2-sound-folders anywhere else.

The other issue:
    when I try to join online racing, at this time most of the time it s about completing rf2 with tracks and cars. But I NEVER ever got an entire mod, all I have is fragments. This is far from working fine.

I am looking forward to your help. Thanks in advance.

rf2newbie

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Sounds to me you are getting your mods of off servers?
    If so, its possible the server admin forgot to add sounds to the vmod, so you auto-install the mod on joining, and since sounds are not essential (wont get mismatch) you end up with no sound at all.

Best to get content from the web and install it yourself imo.

3. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

But no, I started with free available mods and that's when trouble started. I do not have any engine sound at all, not even in the original cars now.

rf2newbie

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I had this problem once. It happened when I had an early version of Targa installed with a couple other tracks that have given me issues int he past. I uninstalled Doninton and Singapur as well as a couple other tracks that weren't of very high quality and then the sounds worked. So uninstall tracks and find which are causing the issue (if in fact we both had the same issue or if maybe only had similar symptoms)

5. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

Thank you guy, but - and this is something I forgot to mention, sorry - I have to be careful. By deinstalling mods, the game won't start until installed again. Strange thing, but I'll give it a try.

6. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

Ok, I recovered some of the engine sounds of the original cars, don't know if they work on all tracks. I totally lost some tracks btw. I could recover them or even better versions if the integrated download-function worked.

7. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

ok, since it seems to be absolutely impossible to get one single entire mod in the online racing version of rf2, I wanted to ask you for the bst web-sources to manually install them. I would like to have rally and street circuits and corresponding cars. I am more interested in GT cars than F1.

8. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you're having this many problems, you might want to consider installing the core again.

Download lite, install over the top of the existing install. Get our mods from our official downloads (see the top of the page for a list of links). Then try getting other mods you want from this forum:
    http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/67-Third-party-cars-tracks-and-plugins

Obviously your other sources don't seem to be working out.

10. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

thank you for the help. I already tried to install, but somehow rfactor rmembered the mods and continued the same. Any hints on what I should do to make sure it works out? Last time I deleted the mod folder before reinstalling

11. 88mphTim

Your mod data (by default) will be stored in the documents folder. Mine is located at:
    C:\Users\Tim Wheatley\Documents\rFactor2

To do a completely fresh install, save only the packages folder content:
    C:\Users\Tim Wheatley\Documents\rFactor2\Packages

Delete everything else from:
    C:\Users\Tim Wheatley\Documents\rFactor2

Uninstall rF2 via the programs icon in the control panel, and make sure the rFactor2 folder is gone from:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2

Reinstall rF2.

Put the rfcmp packages back into:
    C:\Users\Tim Wheatley\Documents\rFactor2\Packages

Then reinstall those via the mod manager (only what you see when components is checked, mlt (which shows complete cars - with sounds) and loc (tracks).

Don't keep any rfmod files from your old install, as those are the files probably breaking things.

12. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

ok, but now I figured out something strange: I can't find the rfactor2-folders in documents...?!? Tried to eliminate it in the game folder, but as we expected, everything stayed the same... :/

13. 88mphTim

Run the mod manager, the path you used will be displayed bottom right. You obviously chose another path when installing.

14. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

that's where I deleted them from (in my case j:\program files...\..\packages)
    The new installation still finds the mods.

15. 88mphTim

If that program files is your active program files used by Windows, then you shouldn't have data stored there. Windows protects that directory.