No autoreconnect to Matchmaker when 'Pause While Zero Players="1" ' is set in the ded

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by tom ilsbroux, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tom ilsbroux

tom ilsbroux Registered

Running a dedicated server I have noticed it doesn't Auto reconnect to Matchmaker when "Pause While Zero Players="1" is set" .

With "Pause While Zero Players="1" set in the multiplayer.ini the server pauses in practice when there is nobody on it.
    Since it seems the server only connects to matchmaker when the track is loaded it remains offline as it is paused.

So all servers running with this option they will stay off-line when they loose their connecting until they are manually restarted.

Server with this option not enabled will only reconnect after all sessions (practice/qual/warmup) are finished. This isn't great either as they can remain offline for a long time when long sessions are used.

Better is to have a auto reconnect after a random time, so not all server will try to reconnect at the same time when the matchmaker goes offline .

2. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

The way I see it, the track is already loaded when the server is paused. I haven't noticed, when someone enters a paused server, that the track then begins to load.

I'm confused by the "they" you speak of. It appears that you mean "servers". Are you saying that the servers disconnect because the matchmaker goes offline?

If so and if I'm getting this right, what you are saying is that all servers set to pause will shut down when the matchmaker goes offline (for whatever reason) and will need to be manually restarted. Again, if this is the case, why haven't we heard others mention this? Certainly there are a lot of servers running with the pause toggle, but yet these servers don't seem to have to reconnect, based on the fact that no one has said that they had to.

Alan

3. tom ilsbroux

tom ilsbroux Registered

After the dedicated server loads the track (it has to load it also) the connection from the server to Matchmaker is made.

When you run the server without it beeing paused the track will be reloaded on the server when all the sessions are finished. With or without anyone on the server.

When you set it to pause, it wait in the first session until someone enters it.
    So when the connection is lost (when for example ISI shuts-down the matchmaker) the connection won't ever be restored and the server is not reachable. It keeps on running but nobody can connect to it.

Pls try it out yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  4. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

How often does this happen? Meaning, how often does ISI shut down the server? Once again, why aren't others reporting this, since it would seem that most servers are probably set to pause.

What you're saying might very well be true, but I'm not seeing others saying that it is.

Alan

5. tom ilsbroux

tom ilsbroux Registered

There is no real logic. Seen it running for 2 days. But also seen it running for half a day.
    Its running on an external server so I only check now and then.

Keeping a server running with this kind of problem is realy annoying for a league as a server should be reliable and this one just isn't.

How can you be sure orthers running it with pause ? You need to edit the PLR for that.

Anyway, this needs to be solved. Would be nice if someone from ISI could comment on this.

6. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Oh. So since it ran once for 2 days and then for half day, that means automatically that the matchmaker went offline? Maybe your ISP had a glitch.

Huh? I didn't ask that. I said that since most are probably running it with the pause, and since no one has reported the problems you're having, then it follows that the problem is on your end.

More of the same. No one else is reporting the problem you're having, so the thinking is that it's a user problem and not a problem with the dedicated server.

Alan

7. tom ilsbroux

tom ilsbroux Registered

Please stay out of this. Its clear you have absolutly no clue what you are talking about.

If you have read anything I said you would understand that this is an issue that needs to be looked into.

This is a problem report directed towards ISI.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  8. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

The problem is on your end. That's all I'll say. ISI is not going to concern itself with issues that are obviously user related, unless of course the user realizes this. Then they will offer suggestions I'm sure.

Alan

9. tom ilsbroux

tom ilsbroux Registered

Pls shut-up and read what i have posted.

I have never complained about loosing the connection the Matchmaker. Sounds logic this happens for what ever reason, I never said this was due to ISI.

I am reporting a problem that with these settings a the dedicated server never reconnects unless done manually.

This some that never happens with rF1 .

So Alan can you please shut up now thank you. I have no idea what you trying to do here, and its very obvious you have no clue how the rF2 dedicated server works. Your input is useless, thank you.

Added you to my ignore list.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  10. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I'm beyond trying to understand what the heck you're saying or meaning. You make very little sense and seem to be full of contradictions, saying one thing one day and the total opposite the next.

Good luck in finding a solution. And while you've added me to your ignore list, try adding yourself.

Alan

11. 10speed

10speed Registered

I'm having exactly the same problem. Server sometimes run fine for a day or longer, sometimes they lose matchmaker connection after a few minutes. This behaviour seems to be random, and not all server instances are affected in the same way.

Hopefully Pause While Zero Players="0" will help a little bit for me. Are there any other suggestions or official statements why this happens and what can be done to solve the problem?

12. Nils

Nils Registered

+1, same problem here, all three servers we run on bierbuden.de randomly lose connection. No need to restart it, just go on options and click through to the normal screen again.

13. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

Ok I will take a look. Added to my list. Note I have restart the matchmaker since this message was posted.

14. SeKa

SeKa Registered

The same Problem here with one of three dedis. Dedi 1 paused, frequented without problems. Dedi 2 not paused, frequented, with Problems as above described. Dedi 3 not paused, not frequented, without problems...

15. There is an issue, i dont know why people need to point at the onces reporting it.
    I´ve had this issue many many times. I will try to set pause to 0 and see what happens :)

16. Radar

Radar Registered

It's an ongoing problem even if set to zero players to 0.

I'd like to know who has 'succeeded' in making their server run on the one mod for days on end without a single drop to matchmaker (could not connect to matchmaker) error.

17. JGraf

JGraf Registered

we seen this once during the few weeks of running on our NRT server, it happened soon after first setting up the server.
    since then, i have turned ON the zero player pause, and forced real names.
    we have restarted the server for various reasons, but only had the error that one time. (Server Status: could not connect to matchmaker)

18. JGraf

JGraf Registered

update:
    just had to restart the server, (Matcher Status: could not connect to matchmaker) error while running.

19. Radar

Radar Registered

Yep.. an ongoing issue.. :)

20. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

This should be corrected in builds greater than 141 and executable greater than 1.140. If a server cannot connect to the matchmaker server; the dedicated server will attempt a new connection every 60 seconds.