Nick name for multiplayer races

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by John Stanley, Feb 16, 2014.

1. John Stanley

John Stanley Registered

When I join a multiplayer race it says unknown nickname. I have checked my profile and under nickname there is none. How to do you make a nickname. I have tried editing my plr but even though I save it, it does not take when you go to multiplayer. Why doesn't just use my player name? Help!!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well there you go... I would have thought it would just use your full name if you didn't have a nickname (on the other hand, some servers may not allow nicknames, in which case your full name would work fine along with everyone else's).

So I guess you didn't enter a nickname when you bought the game.

I think you can change it in your rFactor.name file, which will be in your .rFactor folder, which will be somewhere in your application data in windows. I'm on Win7 and it's in my AppData\Roaming folder. It opens in notepad or similar, and has 3 lines: first name, last name, and nickname.

I should say I've never changed my name or nickname, but I've heard of people doing it. So I might have got this wrong.

3. Hectari

Hectari Registered

You're right. Easy way to find the folder is click the start menu and use the search field, type: %appdata% and hit enter, this will bring up your roaming appdata folder and there you should see .rfactor folder at the top.

To make changes to the file you'll need to right click it and go into properties to disable read only if it is set as on. Once you've saved your new name choices go back into properties and make it read only, I found if I didn't have it set as read only my names would default.

4. John Stanley

John Stanley Registered

Thanks for the replies, tried what you suggested and it did not work .

5. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Jerry!!

Welcome back dude :)

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It uses what you entered as nickname when you purchased. It can't/won't just assume, and use your real name. If you want one added, you can ask us.

8. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Thanks Denst :) . I was almost making a return as Luis Armstrong.
    [​IMG]

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah, almost. silly boy.