New wheel: FFB seems way off.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Navigator, Jul 30, 2023.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Haven't played the game for a while as I didn't like the FFB the last few years. To me it seemed like driving on "wooden wheels" a lot.
    So, now I have invested in a new wheel and I wanted to start-up the old love again as it made bad FFB games feel actually a lot better.
    This game though: is even worse with the new wheel.
    It is a Fanatec and they have some info on how to set their stuff up for all games: copied that and everything else I could find, but no solution there.
    Now it's like driving on wooden wheels through gravel and no proper effects of anything else.

In fact, it's so bad, I can think there is something horribly wrong. But all other games, are good.
    Now in the old days of this game, there were some settings: you knew if you were hanging around here, make them and your game is fine. The oldtimers will remember ;)
    Some things you knew you had to set first in order to get decent......well, fill in what you want. Graphics, FFB, or anything else.

So my question: am I missing something here, am I even missing the obvious?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Navigator Fanatec recommended settings are the worst. Search here for other people asking, you'll find recommendations for settings that work much better.

Navigator likes this.
  3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Lazza, but even here on the forums, there's no real solution, I tried a lot.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You mean you found and tried various wheel settings? Can you share what you're using and what you tried?

5. Bernat

Bernat Registered

What's your reference of good FFB? Real car driving or some other game?

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the response guys!
    As a matter of fact, I do know how a racer feels, but I'm not comparing it to that; that would be silly.
    And I don't have a good definition of how good FFB should feel, but I compare it to other games: most of them, you can feel a lot of slip.
    On that, you can feel the brakes, sliding, understeer, oversteer and so on: you know what I mean, right?
    For this game, there is very, very little feel, almost none. To give you an idea: at first I thought I had the saturation completely wrong.
    It's almost dead with just a bit of rumbling. When you do a 360, there is some feel......

As for the things I tried: I found various settings, mainly for the wheel as there is not a very lot to alter in the game itself.
    For the game I tried a custom made profile as well as the Fanatec profile that is in the game.

I began with the settings I found at the Fanatec site as I said and then I altered them.
    Those alterations/ other than the Fanatec settings, I didn't write them down and so I can't remember all of them, but I will show what I have been doing a bit, to start with the Fanatec settings and write behind it what I did alter:

Tuning Menu Settings:
    SEN AUT
    (or 1080, 900, 540, 360, whatever the car itself said too)
    FF 45 (higher, lower, even set it to 100%)
    FFS Lin (both Peak and linear)
    NDP 16 (damper, sliding the most with this one, from 0 to 100)
    NFR 2 (same as damper)
    NIN 8 (also)
    INT 5 (lowered it mostly, but even raising it didn't do much)
    FEI 100 (these and the ones below, also all the way from 0 to 100)
    FOR 100
    SPR 100
    DPR Off (tried it at high too)

In-Game Settings:
    Car Specific FFB Mult: Very important to find the right value per car. Between 50 and 75 works well for most cars.
    FFB Smoothing: User Preference
    FFB Minimum Torque: 0

Also I threw out the controller.json, started over, set the steering torque and so on.
    The installation is new, W10 is a week old and I installed rF2 just from Steam and didn't put my own settings from files in there.
    So to see, there was nothing saved on Steam also as everything was different than I had it before, so no old settings in there.
    rF2 version is 1133.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Navigator likes this.
  8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

not your issue, but it may crop up. Set saturation=0 for steering.
    "Steering resistance saturation":0,
    "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

if i remember correct DD wheel users uses a lot of smoothing...something like 10 to dial out the grainy feel
    also there is a setting that we dont talk too much here on forum which is locating at the Settings-Steering settings-Roatation limit mode.
    it has 2 options that gives somewaht different feel
    the 1.software setting and 2.device driver.
    in case you want to swith from one to another you must reboot game.
    i use csl elite and found myself change thaty setting many times until i found that rf2 has a weird bug that needs to reboot game sometimes to dial out the grainy FFB feel
    i hope i help you
    it takes sometime to decide which one to use but some other people here can help us with that especially Fanatec users

11. Radkappe

Radkappe Registered

@Navigator
    these are my settings (also dd1). may be this a starting point ..

car multiplier varies from car to car
    upload_2023-8-2_17-50-11.png

upload_2023-8-2_17-50-50.png