New UI: Black screen: Game crash, not launching

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by richirichi, Jan 28, 2022.

1. richirichi

richirichi Registered

Hi everyone.
    Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but since yesterday the game won't launch, just a black screen. I have tried everything, fresh userdata file, disable antivirus (bullguard), uninstall/reinstall, all with the same result. I have to end through TM, & even that doesn't work, as I have to end Steam through TM. I have never had any problems before, always ran brilliantly before this update. I am on RTX 3080/ AMD 9 3900xt. To say that I'm furious would be an understatement, as I have bought all the DLCs & invested a lot of money into this game. I know it is working for a lot of people, but it is inexcusable that an update would be released in this state. I am unable to play a game, I paid a lot of money for. I hope that a dev will respond to this & ensures their customers get the support they need. Thank you

2. lagg

lagg Registered

If you want an answer from the developers, it's better to use their Discord.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Try furiously clicking on the black screen or furiously pressing the space bar. One time each. If that doesn't work, go back to Steam and swap from whatever option you have to the alternate. (None-Opt Out to Release Candidate or vice-versa.) Both are exactly the same at this time. So you will not be loosing features when migrating between the two. If you have ever read these forums, there have always been users with issues. rF2 is as Persnickity as any program I've used, but usually the issue can be resolved.
    Last step is to rename your UserData folder. rF2 will build you a new one. (I like to rename things so it stays right next to the original, thus UserData gets renamed to UserXXXData and I can easily find it when I look at the folders)((same with .json files, player.json gets renamed to PlaXXXyer.json. Keeps windows from sorting it someplace else))

4. richirichi

richirichi Registered

Thanks for your reply. I’ll give this a try out today, as it is still not loading. This is the first time in a year I’ve had any issues with RF2, so it can only be connected to the new UI build. It’s infuriating because the game is fantastic, & it appears that the devs are moving forward, new content etc, so I’m hoping I can get it back on track, no pun intended. But like you said, there are lots of solutions & people willing to help out

5. pety100

pety100 Registered

Try to run the game from steam and choose to run rf2 graphics configuration and check your settings. Maybe the problem is there.