New to the game and many questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shuffles, Feb 7, 2013.

1. shuffles

shuffles Registered

Hi Guys,
    I am considering buying RF2 as it looks very good and would like to take advantage of the 30 day money back deal.
    I have some questions and would be greatful to anyone that takes the time to read and answer.
    I am used to playing games like RaceOn and there add ons along with F1 2012.
    From your guys opinion..is this the best race sim to date graphics & physics etc?
    Are there alot of guys who get together and do tournements and stuff? if possible people from the UK?
    I am looking to eventually get a steering wheel and pedals once I have a bigger desk..any reccomendations?
    For the time being I will use a controller as I cannot use my keyboard for racing games...is this game compatible
    with a windows controller?

Thanks alot

Mark (AKA Shuffles)

2. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Physics and FFB, in my opinion the best by far to date. Graphics? No, but you can live with it. They're better then rF1's though.,

There are a few people online on open servers and a very few championships here and there, but as the sim stills in beta phase, and there's not that much content car and track-wise, it still didn't kicked of yet.

My dream is to own a Fanatec Clubsport, but as it still way off my budget, my Logitech G27 fits right. I'd say it's a nice choice. Probably the most common in the comunity.

I never tried but there's even a built-in profile for a XBox360 controller, so I guess it works.

3. shuffles

shuffles Registered

Hi Fabio,
    Many thanks for the response

This is great...at least I can play for now:)

Thanks alot for your reply mate

4. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

perfect answer!

just two little notes:
    - rf2 (or even 1) is meant to be played with a good ffb wheel... you will miss all the beauty of the car handling without it.

"My dream is to own a Fanatec Clubsport"... ohh yes, I have the chance to own one... but there are reasonable wheels which are not so expensive and include a pedal set...

My recommendation would be do start with a reasonable wheel that include a reasonable pedal set. You can get this from fanatec, thrustmaster and of course Logitech. once you're sure that you want to invest some more time in sim-racing, the clubsport wheel seems definitely to be the best price/quality offer.(at the moment at least)

5. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Hi Shuffles. Welcome, and a few points to keep in mind:

This is the best modelled racing sim to date. With a good FFB wheel like the G27 or higher, the FFB and driver feel is far and away the best. Graphics are its weakest point, and is probably likely to remain its weakest point (not that they wont improve - they will). But ISI choose to spend much more time perfecting specific physics and modelling important factors like tire wear. In that sense - throw out any idea you have had of a "game" based around pure graphics.

The public servers have a fairly small population so far - but I rarely have trouble finding a server and people to race with - even in Australian time zone. I have already made some good friends in there ;) The great thing about this software is the LONG view: it will just grow and grow and grow and grow. More and more community development on top of ISI's great work. It is all yet to come/happen. There are a number of leagues open now, but mostly I just entertain myself with fun and impromptu races for now.

It is still "early days". In regards to controllers - my personal advice is to skip Fanatec. Frankly, what makes them special is actually their high price - it is high because they are small and cannot take advantage of economies of scale. So a mystique gets attached to them. Frankly a Logitech G27 setup is 95% of the mid-range products and better than their low end. If I wanted to get better than a G27 you have 3 options: 1) Mod it - there is a lot you can do to customize and upgrade it - they are common so everything you can imagine has been done to them and uploaded to the net. 2) Wait. A few new controllers will appear this year. 3) Go straight to Thrustmaster T500 and/or RS gear. This is probably the best mainstream wheel available.

Again - welcome ;)

6. Axly

Axly Registered

As those above wrote, rf2 shines very brightly when it comes to physics and force feedback, driving without it will not give you the best bits. However, as long as you're aware of that, and/or are going for a wheel later that's fine, but remember to not base your opinion of rf2 on the stuff outside the really good parts ;)

7. Jello

Jello Registered

Hey Shuffles & welcome :),

Everyone who has replied has covered everything nicely :). I have been playing around with racing sims since the 486 PC & played many many different ones. I too have been playing with the Race07 series of sims for a long time now & they are good (I have always liked Simbin's sims) but I have to say that rF2 really has got the whole car physics thing down pat. Yes, the grapghics aren't quite up what could be done, but I still think the eye candy looks pretty good.

So, grab it, get yourself a wheel, like the others have said, the good old G27 is perfectly fine & can be modified.
    http://chilicoke.com/mods.htm just one site that provides mods info on G25/27

8. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

The other peice to differentiate if from f12012 and the likes it that you will have to spend time setting up your car to also get more out of the game. It is a sim and cars need to be setup and tweaked for tracks. Its a lot more detailed than some of the games listed in sim modelling, so changes to track bars, camber, caster, bump/rebound dampening, differnetial etc settings will make differences (Some minute) others major on how the car handles.

This can make substantial differences in laptimes (once you get a wheel) and given in leauges most guys are around a second between first and last, setup will count. (Especially when tyre wear and track rubbering in/climate changes) come into play.