New season of Formula E

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Dec 15, 2018.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

What do you think about new cars and F.E. overall ?

I think it is getting pretty cool, I think I'll be following this season and I am looking for gen2 cars arriving to rF2.

However, I don't think that Formula E will really pick it up this year, but it will surely grow a lot. In my opinion cars are really great, perhaps the only thing I dislike that they are very long and all the same chassis. But it is nice to watch them racing, a lot of action over there - overtakes, slips, edgy moments. No aerodynamics overkill, down to earth tires, down to earth bumps on the tracks, overall vibe feels more down to earth. It is great that now they can pull whole race time with a single car, though 45minutes is still just a bit short.

I dislike some things.

First, the removal of stopped or crashed vehicle is very unorganized, they has to engineer it to be more efficient, because it is unacceptable now IMO, they have to lift cars by the points above CG, sorry - by the single point. Car is swinging, unstable and it is a slow process. To have 10minutes of paused racing is not good when it is caused by a car that just stopped.

Second, the tracks. I think they are too much of a "tunnels". I get that they race in cities and they just close the track from environments, but I think they should seek to use as little walls as possible, to have more variety in environment. I wish to see formula E on grass trackside some day, or kicking up dirt behind kerbs. Now every track is visually the same, every curve and corner is visually the same because it is walls everywhere. I think that also limits cars and drivers from showing more, because driving around walls requires different driving than in more open track.

I think F.E. will really pick it up when they will have at least 350Kw, when they will have full Monaco, will have few regular circuits, and will be able to last a hour. Of course it is a bit pity that there are no roaring engines, cars doesn't get lighter because of consumed fuel, drivers doesn't have to switch gears (though we don't perceive that as spectators), but it is awesome in own way.

Prodigy likes this.