New rookie member

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fred Scratchet, May 23, 2022.

1. Fred Scratchet

Fred Scratchet Registered

Hello All,
    Long time Assetto Corsa user here. Yes that's right AC, but I did download the Steam version of RF2 a long time ago and then for some reason only tried it once or twice. I think I was put off by the long load times originally but after watching some interesting YT videos recently thought I would give it another go.
    I updated to a Thrustmaster T300 from a Logitech Driving Force Pro a few weeks ago, needless to say the experience is totally different and I am still tweaking the settings. I have been doing some offline races at Monza and Spa with the Spark and Eve F3 and last night actually finished a race at Crystal Palace not in last place! I must admit I dive bombed a few corners though haha. I'm slowly learning about setups but still have a long way to go. Looking at the race replay last night my suspension looked way too soft with the front of the car nearly bottoming out under heavy braking so tonight I will play with it some more and try increasing the spring rates and see what happens. My fastest lap round Crystal Palace was 1.05 minutes but I really was on the ragged edge, I'm sure with a better setup the car would be a lot easier to drive.
    I'm hoping to attempt some online races, preferably rookie races as I don't want to end up being a rolling road block with everyone cursing me. Is it possible to log onto a server just to spectate? So I can get a general idea of how everything works?

Many Thanks,

Fred.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

online racing is mostly a mixed bag of locked league servers or a scattering of 'tracks of the moment.' At this time there really isn't a rookie selection for just multiplayer. HOWEVER. If you click on the competitions you will find a rookie type league using the Tatuus open wheel car. It may not be your cup of tea based on your selections you noted above, but it will get you into some racing that can acquaint you with the methodology. When you join, (if you do) you join at a predetermined date & time and then you get 10 minutes of practice, 10minutes of qualifying and usually about a 25 minute race. Make sure you have your race and qualifying setups saved and ready as you don't get much time between qualifying and the start of the race. There is a rather strong group of EVE/Spark users that race online every Saturday. Follow this thread for announcements of which track & car is next.

Fred Scratchet and nonamenow like this.
  3. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Absolutely feel free to click on Dave's link above. We have rookies thru to alien but all is for fun, no points, no pressure. We drive Historics only, with the emphasis on the F3's. As Dave also mentioned the Rookie Cup car is a fun drive (for a modern car) and there are a couple of others that run rookie races. Jump in and get your feet wet my friend. Welcome to rF2.:)

4. Fred Scratchet

Fred Scratchet Registered

Thankyou both for the warm welcome. I'll check the links out.:)