new pc build after 6 years - 7800x3d, VR, Stuttering help

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by sloppo, Nov 23, 2023.

1. sloppo

sloppo Registered

Last week, i was playing rfactor 2 in VR perfectly with no issues. The old system was an i7 5820k, 16gb memory, over 6 years old, on windows 10. I use a valve index, and it's on a 2070 super gpu.

my new build is a 7800x3d with 32gb ram, same GPU, windows 11.
    everything is a clean fresh install. I load into the game for the first time and i'm experiencing crazy stutter, where the visuals are stopping then starting every 5-8 seconds even though the game is totally smooth as before, but now with this crazy stutter. I'm borderline depressed.
    What the hell is going on. I regret switching back to AMD after all these years, i left AMD platform in 2010 after experiencing constant crap, ran an intel system for 13 years with no problems at all, and the moment i go back to AMD i'm now experiencing all these crappy issues.

any ideas? i don't even know where to start to troubleshoot this.
    latest drivers installed, yes.
    i'm running exactly the same settings in rf2 as before on my old build - i copied and pasted the Userdata folder over so its all exactly the same. The only difference is the hardware, and windows 11.
    please help before i burst into tears.

2. TonyM

TonyM Registered

The 7800X3D is definitely the best CPU for gaming as demonstrated in many reviews……..but you also switched from Windows 10 to Windows 11…and you also have a new motherboard (BIOS and chipset drivers up to date?) and RAM.

But first test it again with a fresh user setting etc…and copy paste of the olf folder. And report here if you still have problems.

BTW, here another thread VR related…
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/lots-of-stuttering-in-the-game

3. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Are you using fpsvr?

latest update is known to create significant stuttering

4. sloppo

sloppo Registered

I've fixed it, panic over.
    I reinstalled RF2 and this time did Not copy across my Userdata folder from my backup.
    Stutter had gone, but i was still experiencing the weird flashing of some rendered assets almost like some artifact flash, when looking at say the front of the tyres or front wing, a bit of it would flash on and off still, like before.
    So i disabled motion smoothing in SteamVR and that fixed it.
    Everything is now running as it should. PHEW.

this evening i'll be swapping out the 2070 for a founders 4090 which arrived this morning. Should give me a huuuuuuuuuuuuge boost.

5. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Good troubleshooting. When there's so many changes in the computer it's always good to start anew. Poor AMD and rFactor 2 are always the first to get the blame when something goes wrong.

6. TonyM

TonyM Registered

Happy to see that it helped! Easy fix indeed.

Don’t forget to use the DDU for the Nvidia driver when you upgrade your GPU.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered