New graphic card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AdrianF1, Sep 8, 2014.

1. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

Hi everyone!
    Two years ago I bought an AMD Radeon HD 7770, but talking with several people, I've noticed that it hasn't the performance it should. I have 200€ (260$) to spend in a new graphic card to play Project Cars, Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 in max settings. I've thought in a R9 270x but I want to hear other opinions. I'm also interested if there is any possibility to have bottleneck with my processor.
    My pc specifications:
    -Processor: Intel Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz
    -Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 7770 Series 1024 mb
    -RAM: 8gb
    -Motherboard: P8Z77-M PRO

Cheers.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Wait a month or two, nvidea is coming out with new cards and prices on older stuff will probably drop a bit.

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

You won't make it to full at 60 in all games, but a 270x would be sweet. How much is a 280 over there?

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Going ATI you'll be at a disadvantage vs nVidia. I know pCARS is going to work to decrease the gap but you may really struggle with rF2 and AC. If you can wait, do so. If not, check a 4GB GTX 770.

5. coops

coops Banned

^^ even as low as a gtx 680 4 gig wouldn't go any lower.

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

I do wonder now though regarding that statement, that recent driver update really did do wonders for my framerates and feelings of microstutters and pauses with my ATI. It's certainly doesn't seem to be as bad as it was before, the gap in performance I mean.

7. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

No it isn't, but Nvidia is still more than clear winner. And the release of AMD r9 285 was pushed Nvidia to drop prices of gtx770 a little and probably further when the new series come out.

Exactly!

8. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Guess 200€ isnt enough for a gtx770 4gb.

200€ isnt enough to buy a card to play rf2/pcars/ac at max settings. 2 solutions, or wait couple of months or put some more €€€´s (+100) and buy a decent one.
    If you go for a 180€/200€ gpu you will probably need to spend more Money in 2 years to upgrade it.

9. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

and what about a gtx760 2gb for 230€? is it that enough?

10. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Even though AMD might not work as well they discount older cards much more than Nvidia so if you by a last gen amd you get a lot for your money. I have a gtx 680 which maxes all the above games, you don't need 4gb ram either unless playing at very high resolution or multi screen.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

You may be mildly satisfied in the short term but it's still 230 Euros for something that can't get you what you want. When you have to buy a new card you won't have that money back. It's better to spend the extra oomph now and be satisfied than to settle for less at still a hefty cost. You should budget around 300 Euros as someone else wrote, instead of sticking to 200. It's not enough to buy something very good but it's enough to make a dent in your wallet.

Would you spend $400 and get a Thrustmaster 300 or $500 and get the 500? Or maybe... would you spend 290 and get a PS3 or 399 and get a PS4?

12. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

760 for 230 euros? You can't get it cheaper(depending on where you live)? Because this thing should be around 200-220$ with stock cooler, 2gb versions. For example: http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-GeForce...f=sr_1_26?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1410188473&sr=1-26

From my experience i can run rf2 and AC with my 6950 and a little better cpu pretty high, almost max on 1680 resolution. So this 760 is two generation younger. This not mean there is 100% improvement, but should be at least 30% performance increase from 6950, in rf2 probably higher. I can't put may arm in fire for this, but you should be very very near to max settings if not max with 760 on 1080p resolution with mentioned games.

Also Guimengo has some valid points, but on the other hands in two years your system will be already among older ones and you will "need" replace the whole system if you want keep up with latest games on highest settings. So there no need to spend to much on graphic card and also in two years there will be better graphic cards for same price, rather buy then the whole system with latest technology and performance improvement.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  13. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

so with a 300 Euros budget what do you recommend me?

PS: thank you guys for all the info ;)

14. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Anyway if you decide to spend 300€ you can't go wrong with gtx770, but you will have little unbalanced system. What this mean, will you se when you will play some cpu intesive games. Your FPS will be probably a lower than average. If this don't bother you then go ahead, you will still have nice improvement over your current graphic card.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

There hasn't been that much leap in CPU but the GPU will give the biggest boost by far. You will likely run rF2 on max with the 4gb 770 on any track as long as you keep the visible cars to a reasonable number. I run at 20-22 and never ever got any choppiness anywhere at the back of the grid even with trackside camera.

In 2 years a 780ti will be medium/medium-high. A 4gb 770 will fall lower, of course, as by then I assume we'll be getting more progress towards 4K. There's no point buying anything lesser than a 770 right now, it's the minimum you should go. If you need you can upgrade your CPU in the next year or so, will cost maybe 150 but you'll still be getting something good that will last a few years.

16. AdrianF1

AdrianF1 Registered

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

He is but look how it is stuttering and we're talking only one car by itself