New gaming system build for rFactor2 - Z170 or X99

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpeedLab, Nov 12, 2015.

1. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

You and Spinelli have LightBoost. Have you tested adaptive VSYNC with LightBoost?

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ah, ok. Yes and i used 2d light boost with adaptive vsync all the time in sim racing and first person shooters online. Whilst adaptive vsync can cause some additional input lag when the game fps was at or over the display refresh rate, i found the benefits of using adaptive outweighed this only negative at 120hz but not at 60hz (not that anyone would choose to use 60hz if 120hz is available but some people still use 60hz monitors ofc). For example, the additional input lag from adaptive vsync is far less impactful/noticeable at 120hz than at 60hz. I confirmed this (for myself) by comparing the visual lag of the virtual steering wheel to my steering wheel inputs at vsync 120hz and 60hz. The input lag was easily noticeable at 60hz with small impulses (i.e. relatively small jerky movements) to the steering wheel compared with 120hz which only became noticeable to me if i oscillated the steering wheel position back and forth rather quickly. Then, after extensive testing of how 120hz adaptive vsync affected my driving performance (over a couple of days comparing lap time consistency, mean lap time and fastest lap time over sessions) with and without adaptive vsync, i found no significant change to my performance. I was glad it did not seem to change my performance because i really enjoyed the benefits of adaptive vsync which included silky smooth, stutter free and tear-free visuals (the latter off only occurring when the game reached 120fps) all the time.

I should add however that i can't remember if during those tests whether my fps was locked to 120fps or fluctuating (and if so, how much by). So i would take my recalling of the results with a pinch of salt. I do remember however that when i was online, my fps usually danced around 90-120fps. So it could have been that during my 2 days of testing, my fps was not always in the 120fps state. I could have been comparing no vsync what so ever to sometimes having adaptive vsync working (and if so, again, how much of the time?)

Yeah, the previous paragraph may have just invalidated the observations i made (about how it didn't seem to affect my driving performance) in the first paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I use Lightboost because I use 3D (Nvidia 3D Vision) and Lightboost is part of 3D with my monitor but I never use any VSync (or any sync options) in sims. I deal with some tearing and I deal with fluidity which isn't as beautiful and smooth as VSync but it's still generally fairly smooth because I almost always have the game capped at my monitor's refresh rate thanks to SLI and great SLI scaling.

I do get jealous of how "perfect" everything looks under VSync though. I enable it when I watch replays (which isn't too often) and, ya, it's perfectly smooth even compared to capped non-synced framerates.

Other than sims, I play all my games with VSync; it's superior in terms of fluidity let-alone tearing. It's just too beautiful to not use in 99% of games.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015