New Event. ARI Fun Race #8 Botniaring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fergy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

True.

Longer layout is still under construction and it won't be ready for racing until spring 2013 IRL.

This track (Full Layout) what you are driving is from development scene, which we used to fine-tune final blueprints of Botniaring extension before we started cutting down trees and excavation work on site.

All track's heights, widths and cambers is modelled from GPS measurement database to ensure that everything is spot on. All buildings in track area was modelled from each buildings individual construction blueprints.

So, you guys have a head start of racing on new Botniaring...

I will test drive it next spring in real life... ;)

Cheers!

2. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Server will be up asap;)

3. Fergy

Fergy Registered

4. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Things have gone quite well to me this weekend.
    Race 1 was quite stressfull as Marcel was always on my back and battling for position a couple of times.
    Race 2 was a bit more comfortable, David was always there but not that close so I could concentrate better on my driving (that's when fastest lap came). The final laps of the race were a bit more difficult as lag suddenly appeared.
    Race 3 was difficult due to >1sec lag. Trying not to get into trouble at the start and then keeping in third-comfortable place till the end.
    On early saturday I was 1.5 seconds slower than my fastest lap today, struggling for rear grip and traction. Made some desperate changes in bumps/rebound and suddenly traction and grip appeared. Setup understanding is further than I thought.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
  5. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

on third lap of first race turn one I was a little to aggressive and went sideways and lost control hitting the wall. I damage my car pretty bad so i called for a pit and then my computer froze... rejoined but by than my head was just toast from trying to hotlap to get my time in the competitive area. I really found it hard to find a setup that i liked here, couldn't really decide on what i wanted out of the car, my fastest was a 1 51 8xx and that was hard fought with cambers maxed to the negative..than the inlaws came ;)..cu guys at the next one baby!

6. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Welcome our 44th member Fresh. We hope you enjoy ARI and it's great member base.

Hope to see you on track soon.

Fergy

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

44, WOW, congrats ARI, congrats Fergy :)

btw Fergy, is there a way of reconsidering aliases against real names? Now we have 88 data to remember, its impossible.
    I get greeted by people I dont remember, ang greet people who dont remember me.

8. gplayonline

gplayonline Registered

+1 nikos,

I think that nicks are easier to remember.

Anyway, i congratulate all the moderators for the done work. The community looks very good promising for the future!

Giorgio Minga > gPLAYonline :D

9. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Real names will stay for racing in ARI Severs. It sets a level of professionalism imo and keeps trouble makers away.

10. Lecram

Lecram Registered

First race, after starting from p2, I was able to attack Gorka, trying to push him in to a mistake and even made a move outside turn 2 and made that stick, only to give it away after getting too hot into turn 4, having to lift and he passed me again. David Cruickshank was never far away and I must have had another bad lap because suddenly I could hear him right next to me at the righthander after the chicane, probably braking very late, making the pass successful.
    I wasn't able to do anything but chase after that and pretty much the same for race 2. Starting from p3, I was able to follow but not so much to overtake.
    Third race starting from back, I got sandwiched between the armco on the right of turn 1 and a competitor on the left but didn't suffer much damage I think. Again DC was already ahead, others in front of me made mistakes and again I was able to close the gap to David Cruickshank on p1 but no overtaking so 2nd place.

All in all not very satisfying results but still great racing and heaps of fun!

Thanks all and till next race, see you on track!

Marcel Wiegers.

11. Fergy

Fergy Registered

My first two races were a three way battle with Martin and DC.

First race they pushed each other very hard and I befitted from them hitting each other. I managed to lap in low 52's with the occasional 51 and was able to keep Martin at bay to take 4th place.

Race two same again, chasing Martin and DC hard when Martin hit DC pretty hard giving me another chance to go through and again was able to hold 4th.

Last race of the evening and reverse grid order I had a bad start and dropped way back. Martin had some bad luck of the start and had a drive through which gave me some free track. I hit Gorka giving me slight suspension damage. After that I had a chance to chase down DC who looked to be suffering damage as well. I managed to make a move stick with 2 laps to go and took another 4th.

I was pretty happy with 3 x 4th places given the stand of the field.

Once again the sportsmanship was outstanding and I will continue to push this point because it's what makes this client tick. Well done to all who raced and hope to see you all at the next one.

Fergy

12. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

+1 We should also use SR4L forums more also ;)

13. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I had an idea for next event, could we take the Qualification time down to 10 to 15 mins, 30 mins seems a bit to long anybody else feel this way??

14. b d shooter

b d shooter Registered

My first ever race with ARI and I really enjoyed it.

My first race, i started from 7th on the grid and with a terrible start I became immediately 8th. Than I had a 2 lap battle with someone who didn't leave much room for me to go through the corners and we end up touching. It was a light bump but it was enough for him to send him in the gravel. Then 2 corners further I spun my car and ended 20 seconds behind the big pack of 6 people in front. So I was racing alone for the next 7 laps. Then Martin had a crash or spun. Because at lap 9 I caught
    up with him. I think he had suspension damage because in the other 2 races he was a lot faster than me. But still amazing driving from him to defend his position for the next 2 laps.

The second race, I had a brilliant start and ended in 4th position after the first turn and lost all of it the corner after that. So for a long time I was yet again racing on my own for about 4-5 laps. Until Martin Cooper and David Coyne had a crash of some sort. Martin Cooper had quickly overtaken me and stayed there for the entire race. I was able to hold of David Coyne though. This was
    probably my best race of the three.

The third race was a bit boring for me. I had a good start and was third position. But in the first lap again I braked to late and ended in the escape route. Which meant I had to let all the cars pass before getting back on the track. So I raced alone for the rest of the 10 laps.

Still learnt a lot from my first race with ARI. Still have a long way to go, but really enjoyed the racing with all of you guys. And I hope to see you on track! ;-)

Greets,
    Thomas Vandenberghe

15. Paul Swire

Paul Swire Registered

Glad you enjoyed it Thomas look forward to seeing you at the next one :D

16. Fergy

Fergy Registered

great to hear Thomas, you certainly had good race pace and you'll just get better and better.

Food for thought Paul, thanks. Maybe limited laps...

17. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

I'm preparing a different type of video. It's a comparison of the 4 fastest qualifying laps (screen splitted in four). Hope you like it.
    I'll post it as soon as it's ready.

18. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

It's your first league race, very easy to make mistakes (stress of people around, nervousness) It'll all be better as experience comes.

19. Lecram

Lecram Registered

Sounds interesting!

I was also thinking about doing some videos myself but I dislike the output format of fraps as it only seems to be avi. Does anyone know of similar software that outputs single frames so I can load them as sequence in After Effects?

20. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

I don't know if the pro version can use a different output format, haven't tried it yet.

Here comes the video.