New computer advice

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by ayrton88, Mar 15, 2014.

1. ayrton88

ayrton88 Registered

I'm still running XP and since it is no longer supported I guess it is time for a new computer. I'm not too computer literate so I'm asking what I should look for in a system to run this sim and others real well. Of course cost is a concern. Is it possible to find a used, refurbished system that I could look for?

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Maybe start with your current specs? a new pc because new OS is like getting a new car because the ashtray is full :)

Its probably up for updating but you never know, might even use hardware u have now.
    Check my specs under my sig, its pretty mediocre and runs rf2 like a charm.

If you don't know allot about pc's one way to go is to browse your area and see what they have in offer in terms of complete systems. and then show the tech guys here what you found and let them comment onnit.
    And maybe the store with a desired system will tweak specs for you based on the comments here or elsewhere.

3. ayrton88

ayrton88 Registered

Right now I have a Dell Optiplex 745 Core 2 Duo 1.86-2GB DDR2-160GB SATA. I have no idea what all that means, I just took it off the spec sheet. I have installed a Geforce GT 520 graphics card. Is it hard for a novice to install a new OS? Right now I can play rfactor 2 pretty well with reduced graphics. I'm more concerned with with the reduced security if I continue to run XP.

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Yeah, you need a new PC.

-Stick with a Core i5 CPU by Intel
    -Avoid a GPU by AMD, they are over-priced due to bitcoin mining and rF2 is infamous for being partial to GPU's by Nvidia. I run a GTX 760 and I can't recommend it enough.

-at least 8 GB of system RAM
    -Unless you are really into music and sound, stick with the onboard sound (it is built into the motherboard)

-If you really want to increase the system boot time and make Windows snappier, get a SSD (that is a hard drive with no moving parts) but that will not make rF2 run any faster and is more expensive
    -make sure you have at least a 1TB hard drive (you can have a SSD for your operating system and a separate hard drive for your games and data)

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

What is your budget?

6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I'm guessing you got that pop up when you turned on your pc today? Yes, me too. Telling us to buy new pc's, and your PC will get infected, etc. Thanks Micro Cash for the message.

7. PMC

PMC Registered

I would recommend

Windows 7 ( I prefer ) or 8 , 64 bit . Installing an O.S is easy as long as you have your Mother board driver's disc or have them downloaded to an external hard drive . Also use google to understand things better or ask here first . ie. booting from disc and reformatting .

i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz or better .

8GB Ram .

GTX 660 2GB or better and a single GPU . Try not to go AMD for rFactor .

700W Power supply . Make sure it has a power supply plug for your graphics card If your building it yourself. I'm not sure if a slightly less P.S. will do the job .

As far as Hard Drive's I prefer a smaller one around 150 to 200GB (you can use your existing one ) just for Windows and a bit of room for game/program install's and downloading stuff and everything else ( Packages folder ,movies etc. ) on external or extra drives , that way if I get an issue on C drive I don't lose heaps of stuff . ( I don't like all my eggs in the same basket :) )

I have the cheapest ASUS Mother Board that seems to do the job , try to get better . ( my next upgrade ) .

You will have to get a new DVD/Disc Drive as the old ones are IDE if your building it yourself .

Things to keep in mind :

If you upgrade your current system to Windows 7/8 64 and 8GB Ram , if your current system is too old the Ram is useless if you go i5 in the future . ( Waisted money )

If you have IDE Hard drives ( You have SATA so no problem ) , these are no longer supported on new boards if you wanted to use them as extra drives . I bought a portable IDE hard drive case USB so I could use one of my old hard drives .

The system iv'e recommended will/should allow you to run rFactor pretty well on max settings with a single monitor . And reasonably future proof .

If your capable of building your own system and use your old box and Hard drive ( Is what I did ) . Not including Windows , this should cost around $750 or less from memory ( That's what it cost me about 8 months or so ago ) , maybe $650 now ? . I prefer ASUS , Gigabyte is cheaper I think . Maybe you can shop around and do better .

If you decide to do it yourself take some pictures of what plugs in where , there isn't many and mostly common sense . I had an issue with the on/off switches but I just took it to the PC shop where I bought the parts and he sorted it :) If you buy all the parts you need , a good PC shop won't charge much to assemble it for you :cool:

EDIT: I added more info than you were probably looking for ( Mainly for others that are interested to do the same ), if you can find a second hand PC for around that price with these specs jump on it .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014