New build is fabulous.. still horrible online though

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hariseldon, Oct 27, 2013.

1. sg333

sg333 Registered

Additionally, the MP interface is awful, and needs to be overhauled to display more information. Sometimes I join a server only to find out it's currently in a practice session with 90 minutes left. Id like to see the schedule and information beside the server name, or to hover a mouse over it.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Galaga, I totally agree. People will only join a server that already has other users on it. But a server has to start somewhere. Someone needs to join and then stick around for a while before others join in. The other problem I have had with trying to host public servers over the years is if it isn't one of the handful of tracks everyone knows, people will join and spend about 10mins trying to complete a lap on a track they don't know before giving up. I personally love learning a new track and make it a mission to learn as many as I can. But most people just want to stick to Mid-Ohio, Sebring or Laguna Seca.

3. sg333

sg333 Registered

Here's a random comparison between the current MP interfaces of RF2 and ARMA3, both @ 1080p. You can easily see how inefficient the RF2 interface is and how much information is displayed in the ARMA3 version. Text and buttons dont need to be so huge, and the ARMA3 one displays a huge amount of information about the selected server in the lower 1/4 of the screen.

Would like to see ISI make something like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

How about a pop-up window describing what car models and tracks...(including version #) are running on a particular server during browsing of the list.
    You won't need to go through all the hassle of trying to join a race... only to find you don't have a component.

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Makes sense. Just for fun, I have created a server with all ISI tintop cars and tracks. Server name is ! All ISI Tintop Content.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
  6. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

THAT's what I'd call serious ;)

7. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

lmao

I know you guys aren't missing much, because I'm not that great, but this is exactly why I can't see myself racing online.

8. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Glad for having amused you... seriously though, you are not even trying. Yes, it is a rather tedious routine but the guys at ISR are running the servers with the most (regular) users. These servers come the closest to being pickup races in rf2. Get to their site, download the tracks, join their server. Easy as that.
    Or get on Galaga's server - he just mentioned it a few posts up.

There's all this talk about how great this game is and in my mind that is justified. Just don't expect to be spoon fed.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

If this is too complicated I really don't know what to say..? I never had any problems adapting to rF2's multiplayer mode. I think it's great in fact.

Of course there is still room for improvement, but the people calling it unplayable really need to chill a bit.

10. Miro

Miro Registered

I am chilling here since rF2 got released about multiplayer.
    It is not difficult nor is it hard or whatever. It's just not something the normal simracer dude does.
    I will not download 1 GB of stuff just to be able to race on a track I already have and the "download via server thingy" will not change that at all.

I think I am serious enough about sim racing if I can do 4h stints in a endu race so this not being serious enough argument is weak.
    It's just PITA to do such odd stuff to race online.

If nothing changes on the MP stuff it will stay as is now and the folks which are racing now and telling it's awesome, easy, prosimracer stuff will race against each other but there will not be much more users online as now are that's sure.
    You guys really think the people don'T want to race online? I am checking it quite often and I just can laugh about it when I see this.

Take a look:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. elbo

elbo Registered

Absent killing the dumb-ass vmods altogether, restrict them to one track at a time...

12. Miro

Miro Registered

+∞

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

It was not long ago when Tim said that ISI is going to host server(s).

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I bet the core of them drivers are regulars as you said, regulars often go the extra mile to join their favourite server. And their presence gives others the incentive to do the same.

But a regular is not a casual driver. and imo this whole thing is hurting them the most. Not everyone browses forums every day, keeps up to date and puts constant effort in additional content.
    And if we would go by the notion that everyone needs to take everything in as-is 'because serious simracing' then we are going down an elitist route I don't care much for. Fine with being an elitist, but on-track only please :)
    My league exists 20 years now and a big portion of our past and present members have been casual pickup racers and regulars slowly turning into serious simracers and then joining. I seriously don't want to lose out on those drivers in the future.

15. sn0man

sn0man Registered

Hi all, I've been following this thread intently!! I class myself as a keen enthusiastic racer..

Myself and a few of my mates are keen to meet online and race, but for the life of us we can't work out how to put a room together!!

Is this half the problem, that us newbies (for want of a better word), just can't do this??

This issue may be a little off topic but there needs to be some kind of informative thread/video on how to do put a MP room together!! (If this is already out there Please forgive my ignorance and again please attach a link)

This is the aspect that needs to be simplified, as I would happily spend 5-10 mins setting up a room for the night...

Is this even possible to do? Or do you need a separate server?

Again I apologise if I have wrote a post that does not make sense to you guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

They need to change the way the online system integrates with mods. It doesn't have anything to do with how serious you are, in my opinion. Having to download a bunch of tracks just so I can join a race is ridiculous. Is there a way you can auto-download the mod/car/track, but instead of the auto-download downloading through the server (many people don't enable it for this reason, to save costs/bandwidth on their server) it downloads through a link instead? For example, instead of having to go to rfactorcentral.com, the mod/cartrack will just automatically download from the exact download link/address.

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

18. Hany Alsabti

Hany Alsabti Registered

+1

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk

19. nipzon

nipzon Registered

I have been battling with the same problems and I am a serious racer. Sometimes trying to join a server becomes a mission, the result is tremendous and rewarding but time consuming.

ISI need online servers full stop. I don't know why this has not happened already.

Also when trying to join a server why can we not have the option to d/l additional content or not. If the server then ticks over to another track we will have the option in the lobby to d/l that track. I agree lots of times I just want to race that one particular track and hopefully in mp mode. Please do something ISI.

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Good point.

It might not be the case now, few servers so people will join just about anything that has drivers innit. But in the future, when rf2 becomes occupied by the masses, people will no longer do that, more servers means specific joins. only joining because of that particular track.