New Broadcast Overlay - overlay.html is blank

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Marc Christopher Harris, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Marc Christopher Harris

Marc Christopher Harris Registered

Not sure if this is a common issue in v1124

Control panel loads fine, can click through the cars, and change the camera angle.

NOTHING on the right hand side works. overlay.html is blank both in a browser, and OBS (makes sense if one is blank the other will be)

Game is running in windowed, spectator mode.

Have set Inactive Sleep Time to -1

Anything else?

2. Marc Christopher Harris

Turns out - unhelpfully on the instructions, https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/broadcast-overlays

Although it mentions you have the option of customising the overlay by copying the default folder. It doesn't actually tell you, you need to download it to "the installation folder". Even that seems to be ambiguous, as it only seemed to start working when it was put in the root folder, not the installation one.

Same old rf2, trying to alienate people from using it by making it as complicated as possible. But seems to work now.

3. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Always nice to see that you have to fix your own problems here.

4. lagg

lagg Registered

In the link that you have provided is written this

Woodee likes this.
  5. Marc Christopher Harris

Not at any point does it tell you you actually have to zip that folder into there. Only if you want to create a copy of the original, you need to go to that folder and duplicate it.

Further to that, its ambiguous, the rfactor2 installed folder - to me suggests it should be common/rfactor2/installed and in that folder with all the vehicles, tracks etc. Not just in the root folder.

Why on earth would they tell people the overlays is available to use, and not install the files as part of the base game.

6. lagg

lagg Registered

Well...
    I agree with you.

7. Marc Christopher Harris

I agree with you too, and I think we are on the same page : I wasn't wanting to customise anything - just having it there. So the instructions should read:

The overlay isnt installed by default, so the first step is to unpack default_december2020.zip into (insert folder name...)

Ahhhh, frustrating. Its simple User Experience providing good instructions.

lagg likes this.
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

I agree.
    The rF2 should include the ..\rFactor 2 \Overlays\Default\... structure, by default.
    Only with this, the Overlay system would work opening the Control Panel.