NEW Benchmark comparison between AMD & Nvidia - 2.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

DrR1pper, as GPUs get more and more powerful in the next couple years, and even in the next few months (980 Ti/new Titan, R9 390/390X) do you think 8x MSAA should be the standard for the rF2 bench? Absolute minimum 4x, that's for sure - there needs to be at least some AA.

Ohhhh, I always heard that for years, and always thought this myself as well. Well I tested this in rF2, GSC, and AC. Dropping AF from 16x to 8x definitely make a difference and helps framerates compared to 16x AF. I remember I even had gains of around 10 or so fps in GSC when I had many opponents. 4x improves performance even further, however I can see the blurriness of textures as they get further off into the distance with 4X. 8X hardly looks different to 16X in my opinion though.

2. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Its always been the opposite for me. For years I saw no effect on performance when it came to Ansotropic filering. Kept it at 16x. It wasn't until I got asseto corsa did I notice droping the from 16x AF to 8xAF gave me a boost. I've always ran crossfire or dual GPUs only so I can keep my settings maxed at all times. So I went from a pair of 5870s to a 7990.

When I said going to 8x Anti-aliasing with my card it makes no difference is because I have so much overhead with the card. I use 1 monitor. People called my card overkill when it came out and for what I use it for, but for reasons like this is exactly why I got it. Overhead room.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
  3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

My answer would have to be "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it". :)

4. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Ya know originally Anti-aliasing's purpose was to reduce aliasing at low resolutions. The higher the resolution the less you need to use. I think some people just like having it max at 2500x1280 just to say they can, I use none at that resolution, crap's so small I can hardly see it anyway, lol.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Also just tested AF 8x vs 16x in the new live benchmark and i lost 4% fps.

6. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Thats about what I was getting. How was it visually, did you still have jaggies?

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Jaggies? Anistropic Filtering?

8. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Nevermind, I though you were testing 16x AA. I forget AMD and nvidia have different detect modes.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, I don't usually notice a framerate difference between different AF amounts but then I did actual benchmarks with the following setup:
    - triple screens (around 5760x1080)
    - multiview
    - 3D Vision
    - supersampling AA modes (8xS, 12xS, 16xS)
    - every graphics option abolutey maxed-out
    - 30 opponents (all visible, no "max visible car" gfx option coming into effect)

Framerates increased when going from 16x to 8x AF, also, enabling/disabling the texture filtering optimizations (I think there are 2 or 3 in NVidia Inspector) and raising/lowering the texture filtering quality (HQ, Q, P, HP) also affected framerates.

Setting AF to 8x + all texture filtering optimizations enabled + texture filtering quality set to High Performance (HP) gives a nice boost in framerates, but even just going from 16x to 8x was an improvement.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's because "regular" MSAA isn't that great, especially in most gmotor games. Disable rF2 AA, and then try 8xMSAA + 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling (set from NVidia Inspector), or one of the "combined" AA modes (12xS, 16xS, 32xS). Or, if using AMD, try 8x Supersampling (again, set from control panel, rF2 AA disabled). The IQ will be in a different league.

11. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

I use edge detect, its better than MS, but less of a performance hit with supersampling. Then again I've never tried supersampling with this card yet.

I've always had to force it from my control panel as well.

12. Stephen Bacchus

Stephen Bacchus Registered

I saw you suggestion on this the other day. Didn't do anything for me I'm afraid. This was with my normal configuration, 5900X1080/multiview/HDR.

Re AA. Level 1-8 all look the same on my system. That is to say bad. Only improvement I've found was to change one of the values in the player.json - texture something? Default value is 5-auto, I found setting it to 0-off gave a much better image in terms of all the lines/grid markings on the tracks etc.

13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Aaaa, so you are on multiview... then sorry, but there is no help for you at the moment. Multiview + HDR + SLI means performance worse than on a single card (more or less). Disable HDR and see how it works vs one card. Also try that Crysis profile, if it's any better than default (but remember - no HDR or no Multiview).

14. Tr51

Tr51 Registered

yes, this is great:cool:

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Hehe It is a bit off topic but Gjon don`t agree with you mate, This is from : http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...y-on-rFactor-2?p=306511&viewfull=1#post306511

Doug: How is support for multi-view coming along?
    Gjon: I don’t really have any issues with it . There was an interface/tool in the works some time ago for helping to set it up, but has yet to be completed.

Doug: Before the end of 2014? With the ever-growing interest in three-screen systems, it is becoming more-and-more important.
    Gjon: I don’t see it happening in the coming month, but can’t say for sure it will make it in for 2014.

Doug: What is the latest on NVIDIA-based GPUs and AMD/ATI based GPUs? Has AMD/ATI been any more responsive about resolving the standing problems with their cards running rFactor 2?
    Gjon: Their movement into multi-threading was a huge step, then they released better drivers. The cards are in many cases now quite comparable.

:rolleyes:

16. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

amd 1100t black edition @ 4.9 GHz
    8Gb Ddr3 @ 1.6GHz
    Gtx 770 OC

min 52 max 85 avg 65.2

I think this results are very low for my config and on some tracks I got 100% usage on CPU2 while the others are near zero (beside CPU 3 @ 40%).

All CPUs are unlocked by bios features and this is confirmed by CPU unpark application...

17. Stephen Bacchus

Stephen Bacchus Registered

That was in respect of a configuration tool to set the screens up along the lines of iracing/Assetto Corsa. He was not referring to high end multi GPU setups which have never worked properly since RF2 was first released to the public and continues up to the present day. I signed up at the start, lifetime sub, and have used one and two card 7970 setups and my current 780's.

18. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yes, there was no mention about SLI + MultiView + HDR. Only that combination is problematic.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oh, but there is. NVIDIA 3D Vision :). Almost perfect GPU scaling. Both GPUs' usage percent pegged in the 90s, ALWAYS.

Framerates skyrocketed. Triple screens W/ Multiview + HDR + SLI + almost every graphics setting maxed + 16xCSAA :)

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I thought everybody knows that 60hz=60fps=input lag, 120hz=120fps=no input lag, there is no single CPU card that can deliver 120fps in rFactor2 with high game settings and triple screens.

Nvidia profile is from 2011-09-22 and it is time to update game and Nvidia profile today`s standards.