New AMD driver improves RF2 in VR

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Booth_doberman, Feb 16, 2023.

1. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

I have been running RF2 at 60fps with a 6950xt, i9700k, Reverb G2 so I could max out some of the settings. I tolerate the 60fps just fine. AMD released a new driver tonight, 23.2.1, and I can now run the same graphics settings at 90fps. As a second test, I did the 3DMark Firestrike test and got a 6.5 percent Overall improvement from the previous "good" driver (22.5.1). When I first ran RF2 after updating the AMD drivers, I was seriously disappointed. The framerate was awful and it was stuttering all over the place. I then realized that it had some custom overclocking settings that were just wrong. After I fixed that, it worked great. One of the critical settings on the AMD driver is to make sure the Min Frequency is not set at the default 500. Setting it to within 200 of the Max Frequency setting makes the stutters go away. My min is 2600 and my max is 2718.

Owen Pyrah and ThomasJohansen like this.
  2. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

Taking things slowly, I added environmental reflections tonight (first low and then medium) and had no significant drop in FPS or performance. I then added SSR Low and got some really strange things. While I was driving in VR, my body slowly shifted position. It just drifted back until I was sitting outside the car behind it. I recentered VR and it returned to normal. A few minutes later, it slowly moved me up and forward. It was slow motion. I've often seen quick blinks in VR that usually settle down after a lap of two. This was different and lasted about five or six laps. I turned off SSR and restarted the session and was able to do practice and qualifying without issue and drove 37 laps and everything was perfect.