Need voice chat -Teamspeak ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi all

Anyone have the best solution for push button talk whilst on our own hosted server with friends

Is teamspeak the best way to go ?

2. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

3. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Mumble is another great option :)

I only play with one friend so we both use Xfire

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks

But we're after a free service
    Teamspeak isn't free ?

5. TunaWiz

TunaWiz Registered

If it's just going to be used by you and a few friends, yes, you can setup a Teamspeak server for free using your own PC. Watch this video for a how to...

6. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Using Mumble/Murmer here and is enough for me and few friends. Running parallel on my gaming machine - no trouble at all.

7. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I often Host Ventrilo and RF2 and play RF2 on my PC. (only me and a few friends) I used to run Vent on a really old laptop using linux running on a usb stick lol.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks for info everyone

I watched the team speak tutorial gosh it's not a quick thing to do hey,

Will follow it carefully step by step this weekend

I'm hosting on a separate pc in my home -I'll also get this to host the team speak server too, hope there's no hassle for me to connect through LAN & friends to connect through the net

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

ISI has already said they wouldn't do it but I'll mention it anyway- rF2 needs to an option where anyone who joins a server can talk to each other through the game itself. If console games can figure it out I'm sure ISI can find a way.

10. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

been hosting my own talky servers for years.
    actually I host all my own racing/shooting/talking servers and even host my own website on my pc.
    used to use ventrillo and that was ok but been using TS3 since it was beta,it's great.

11. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

We are using Teamspeak 3 and I can highly recommend it. I don't know how important this may be for you but Teamspeak is very good at multiplatforming. Not only the server can be installed on several different OS's but also the clients. Using it with Windows and Linux myself without any problems.

Before TS3 we have used Ventrillo but that isn't free anymore and heavily restricted.

12. TunaWiz

TunaWiz Registered

If you do run into trouble, let me know and I can try to help. I've done it quite a few times now and should be able to troubleshoot any problems.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Tuna

- great! Thanks a lot

14. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

My vent server is localized to the Dallas, TX, USA region, but it's setup for 25 users. If anyone needs a voice server for a race and this would accommodate their needs, just PM me. My local league mostly only uses it on Monday nights.

15. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Mumble!!!

16. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Can anyone compare the three proposed solutions? What are pros and cons of each program? Why are you using TS (or Vent or Mumble) instead of the other two options?

17. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

We use TS3 because that's what our original member was using on his server! Once it's up and running it's great. Mine is on a server on a different continent (but you could run it from home easily on any low powered PC you have kiciing around and probably on something cheap like a Raspberry Pi) and latency isn't an issue, chat is clear and crisp.

What is a giant PITA is remotely administering the server. <insert your deity here> help you if you lose the keys you're given when you setup the server. The instructions to regain access (for adding channels, etc) are beyond horrible.

If I was asked to recommend a chat client it wouldn't be TS3 for one reason... crap support for button boxes. I *think* it's only picking up the first game controller (Device 1). I can assign hotkeys (mute, change channel, etc) to my G27 shifter's buttons but not my button box.

18. rer8

rer8 Registered

I went looking for a way to assign a push to talk button on my new G27. No real help on TS forum or any where else. So what the heck... I did the following in the team speak menu:

1. Settings
    2. Options
    3. Hotkeys
    4. Add
    5. Push to Talk
    6. No Hot Key Assigned
    7. Select Desired Key
    8. Click OK

No one to talk to right now, but the blue light illuminates when I activate the key. Hope this helps...

I had a chance to validate the above process for assigning a PTT (push to talk) button to my G27 wheel earlier this evening. I works great.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013