Need help with shifting, steering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ccjcc81, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Guys, I need some clarification. I’m one of those dudes that likes to try to get my sim racing as real as possible, but I’m not very knowledgeable, so I don’t know what “real” would be. I have some questions:

About transmissions:
    I have seen that with the GTR I only need to use the clutch to get out of 1st. I don’t have to use the clutch to upshift or downshift, and I don’t even need to blip the engine. Is this real-world accurate?

I haven’t used the Corvette yet, and I won’t get to until Monday, but I read that I do need to use the clutch in rFactor 2 with the Vette. Is this correct?

What about the Skip Barber? I noticed that I don’t have to use the clutch to shift with it, but I do have to blip. Is that realistic? Can the Skip upshift and downshift without use of the clutch?

About steering:

What degree of steering rotation would the three cars mentioned above use? I doubt fast cars like those would have 900 degrees of steering rotation in the real cars, right? If any of you know, I’d like to know exactly what the real cars would have.

ETA: Do I need to lift off the throttle to shift these cars?

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Max

Max Registered

well there is a setting in controls that either lets you ajust the rotation or use the default rotaion the car has.. Click the button next to it. Yes?

3. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Thank you, but in my experience that button has no effect on steering. I have to manually change my Fanatec to see a difference.

Thanks.

4. corsa

corsa Registered

Which Fanatec wheel and what driver version are you using? I'm using a Fanatec GT3 RS version 1 with the latest driver, and since the last few builds of rF2, rF2 has been able to automatically set the rotation of my Fanatec wheel.

5. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Gt3 rs v2

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Every car can shift without using clutch if the revs are matched, not recommended on regular manual vehicles unless you have mastered the techique and are willing to damage the transmission.
    That being said, there is no 'realistic' clutch model in rF2... yet. I drive all the cars that would have a clutch with a clutch and pretend its necessary.
    Many race cars that have a clutches (wrc rally cars for example) but its not needed more than when engaging first gear and taking off.
    Now which cars in rF2 have what kind of transmission, is something that you have to google or look up from ISI site where they have listed the cars and some info about them.

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/ -Scroll down.
    http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/rev-matching.htm -Very good site in general about racing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLw0hAtOik4 -Should give you some idea how does it work in practise.

7. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Im with you and your idea of the most realistic experience too. In real life, with real clutches, you don't need it to shift gears if you match the revs right, as said above.

Although, many race cars require the use of the clutch for downshifts.. i have seen a clio cup video in another thread, which clearly shows the driver using the clutch for downshifts, but not up. It is also possible that the pedals in the real car are set up in a way that you can simply not blip the throttle while braking, i recently took a seat in a alfa 147 cup car and the brake and clutch pedal were way further back ( closer to the driver ) than the throttle was, so you would not be able to blip under braking.

Some racecars are equipped with something that cuts the ignition as you shift up, which means you can keep your foot planted on the floor when upshifting. In other cases you have to lift off the throttle in order to slot in the next gear. It really depends on the car used..

In Formula One cars or Rally cars ( also mentioned above ), which have truly semi-auto gearboxes, you can change up and down without the clutch, you only use the clutch for setting off or stopping.

Your best shot in my opinion is to check out youtube onboard footage of the car you want to drive, and see if you can spot what the driver is doing with the transmission.

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

There was a thread a little while ago petitioning ISI to include a more realistic clutch option with the sim. Wheatley stated that ISI will include this option int he future, but it is down on their list of things to do.

The clutch is a joke TBH. Even with "Manual" enabled, you don't need to use the clutch to shift with any car in the game. Even from a standing start, you can take off with no clutch if you know how to do it. You can always map a button to be the clutch too. With certain cars I use the clutch anyway (like the Lola or the GP79 cars) but with most I just use autoclutch and paddles. Let's hope a real clutch option comes soon, there are a lot of us who want this option.

Different race cars have different amounts of wheel rotation. Formula cars generally have very little- around 240, but sports cars will have 400-500 or so and older cars will have 900+. Sometimes even the same car but prepared by different teams will have different amounts of rotation.

9. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Thanks guys, that is all very good advice, especially the recommendation of watching youtube videos to find out. I'll do that.

I agree that a more realistic clutch is very important. Why go through all the trouble of creating a sim with the most realistic physics just to leave out one of the most important controls that a car has?

10. corsa

corsa Registered

Hmm, not sure why your wheel rotation isn't being set automatically then per car. You have the latest firmware and latest Fanatec drivers installed? (My version 1 wheel doesn't allow firmware updates like the version 2 does, so it seems if it works on my v1 wheel it should work on your version 2 wheel even if you don't have the latest firmware.)