Need help with MS3 engine and vehicle physics

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Kknorpp001, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Using the Clio as a base, this is what I have done to modify engine and physics for MS3:

In engine.ini:

- Replaced torque values in RPMBase= statements with dyno torque values (extrapolated for low and high rpm values that dyno didn't have)
    - Increase EngineInertia by multiplying Clio value by 2300/2000 based on displacement differences (probably stupid, i know)
    - Reduced RevLimitRange and LifetimeEngineRPM to MS3 redline value
    - Set SpeedLimiter=0

In Clio.hdv:

- Increased Mass and left Inertia unchanged
    - Set AllowGearingChange=1 (didn't work, BTW)

Test drive:

- Weight feels good
    - Gear ratios need to change
    - Insufficient wheel spin - MS3 can easily spin tires in 1st and 2nd gears and 3rd over bumps or if car is unweighted or in turn. However, many open items below may address this, such as tires, gear ratios, differential & weight distribution so waiting to sort those out first before worrying too much about lack of wheel spin.

Open items:

- Tire brand - MS3 has summer tires while Clio has slicks. Haven't looked into yet but definitely will not be doing tire modeling so may need to borrow tires from tTrainer or 60s racers.
    - Gear ratios - Don't understand final drive (meaning I really don't understand what final drive means ; not just in rf2) I think I can figure out gear ratios ; will play with this some tonight and report back.
    - Drag coefficient - MS3 coefficient of drag (Cd) = 0.32. Clio BodyDragBase=(0.438). Should I just replace the 0.438 with 0.32?
    - Differential - Need help here as I understand almost nothing about differentials. Per specs, MS3 has a "torque-sensing conical limited slip differential". Have no idea how to translate that to hdv settings. My understanding is that Mazda intended to use this and limiting torque in 1st and 2nd gears to limit excessive wheelspin and reduce torque steer. This may need to be set based on feel once other open items are addressed, especially those that effect wheelspin.
    - Weight distribution - MS3 weight distribution is 62/38. Not sure how to implement this in hdv. Looks like might be CGRearRange, which says fraction of weight on rear tires? For Clio, CGRearRange=(0.363, 0.001, 1) so should I just replace 0.363 with 0.38?
    - Inertia - I left this unchanged from Clio. How do I know how to set this?
    - Torque steer - Not sure anything can be done to get torque steer like MS3, which is the king of torque steer.
    - Turbo - My understanding is this is not ready yet so will model as naturally-aspirated for the time being.
    - Overall steering ratio and steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock - I know this topic is well documented in forum so I bet I will be able to figure this out. If not I will report back.

Many thanks in advance for any and all comments, advice, etc.

Edit: Forgot to include suspension and other open items that have to do additional research on but no questions on these at this time.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
  2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

OK, no replies. Not letting that discourage me. :)

So, I have replaced tires with street tires from rtrainer and still not getting wheelspin in second gear while MS3 can easily shred tires in second gear and also spin wheels in 3rd with lightened load or uneven pavement. Gear ratios are already close to MS3 so next step is to adress differential settings per http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showpost.php?p=3423056&postcount=5. First step will be to lock differential to see if get wheelspin in second and go from there, so stay tuned (no pun)...

3. 3Dnooblet

3Dnooblet Registered

RTrainer tires have too much grip for street tires as mentioned by an ISI staffer.

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Thanks, noob.