NASCAR's Tony Stewart involved in racing fatality

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by Nemesis44uk, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Nemesis44uk

Nemesis44uk Registered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/28731314

After being put into the wall by Stewart, Kevin Ward Jr angrily exited his vehicle and marched up the track to remonstrate with Stewart. He was narrowly missed by car 45 before being hit and fatally injured by Stewart.

Another motor racing death, but this one was needless. The series was a Sprint type event, which races on dirt and traction is at a premium. Ward shouldn't have moved into the path of oncoming cars, no matter how angry he was. I've only seen the one angle, but it would be difficult to quickly evade a pedestrian whilst racing on dirt.

I'm not going to link to it, but the video's on Youtube should anyone wish to see. Stewart will not participate in this coming Sunday's Nascar Sprint race at Watkins Glen.

My sympathies go out to Ward's family and friends and also to Stewart, who must be suffering with this.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Yeah strange story. I can imagine Stewart is wondering what he could have done differently to prevent this, especially as the days tick by. Not saying it's his fault btw, which it probably isn't (haven't been in the mood to watch the vid). As mentioned in another thread, lessons will be learned from this and rules put into place I'm sure.

3. doug484

doug484 Registered

Once the guy got out of his car he gave up the protection provided by his seatbelts and rollcage. He was also wearing a black firesuit and helmet, at night, and walking on a brown track. He was obviously too blinded by rage to think clearly and realize it wasn't worth his life.

I've been around racing for all my life (45 years) and I've seen these antics so many times of the mad driver getting out of his car and running onto the track, where cars are still pacing, to show the other driver how mad he is. It is ludicrous, but track promoters LOVE that kind of stuff because it promotes "The Show" - I am actually surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I would say they need to make a rule to protect drivers from themselves, but I doubt many sanctioning bodies will go that far.

4. coops

coops Banned

brain snap cost him his life ...agree with doug484

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

What's really sad about this, is that it was completely avoidable.
    All he had to do was stay in his stricken car until the track official arrived.
    The last thing he did in a very short life was get really angry...and he died because of it.
    His parents were probably watching this whole thing unfold.
    It is way beyond horrible for them.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Don't know much about the subject but I read that its kinda 'a thing' to do that, crowds cheer and clap and an incident becomes hyped when drivers seek justice on-track etc. race-culture thingy perhaps? or is that too much to say.

Sad thing nonetheless but I seems easy to fix from an organisational pov? join track and you wont race anymore. or something to that extend.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Pretty much. I remember when Kyle Busch wrecked Ron Hornaday during a caution in a truck race. Speed channel used that clip in their advertisements for NASCAR races for an entire season.

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I suspect going forward we'll see some record fines and penalties for this kind of behavior.
    It is a bit silly because the offenders are not only putting themselves at risk...but everyone else on track.
    I'm coining it 'Trackrage'. and it's not funny at all.
    Sometimes you'll see a driver throw everything including helmets at another competitor.
    Imagine for one second if something thrown were to strike a driver and knocks him unconscious with his foot stuck on the throttle.

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Just read that Nascar has changed/updated rules that prohibit drivers from leaving their cars/entering the track on foot, much like Indycar. A sensible rule and odd it was not there to begin with.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Terrible ! :(

+1

11. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Like Doug484, I have been around all types of racing from local tracks and events.. to pit row in NASCAR and NHRA events..

The restraint system that has become common safety equipment in the drivers compartment..will 99.9% keep a driver safe.

I am and was troubled by the events that took Kyle's life..It again is a hard lesson for not only the sport as a hole, But the media
    blows this out proportion to the state that it is now main stream news...if this was at a local track..and it happened to a local driver...it would
    be mentioned..and then slip into the back pages.

Because it was a Corporate NASCAR celebrity..now we have local anchors of news media driving it for ratings.

If any-one has ever been to a dirt race with these type of cars..the fans expect this type of insanity..and
    this time insanity won!!!!

Rage of this type, should be in the pits...not on track..Hopefully the sanctioning bodies of these series will put the profit margins back in the office.
    and close some of these hateful holes in rules that fill the stands..

Dave

NRT

12. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I read that NASCAR has "officialized" rules that were already there. What a load of horse ****.

13. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

What dropped my Jaw..just after this happened..the news medias were saying NASCAR official reply "it was not there responsibility" ..It was a sanctioned event...That's what I call passing the buck..BIG Time!!

I give it 6 months, the lawsuits and insurance worms will end up closing or making it to expensive to reemain open for this great track, I have been there twice..nice home style track..It is a shame

You think?

Dave

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It's always best to after the big boys, especially if they're not being responsible. In that case, NASCAR has never been proactive with that kind of thing. Safer walls, safer restraints, safer cars, but in the lower series, do whatever you want, son. I still think the fact that the driver just walked onto the track should remain the main thing here. Maybe NASCAR should be targeted for negligence or failure to provide safe guidelines.

I always thought these things were penalized after the fact. Fine for the team and a suspension, something like that. It's insane.