My VR settings and set-up (RTX 3080, Quest 2, Ryzen 3600/5800X3D)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by justposted, Dec 27, 2022.

Tags:
  1. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

oh and btw, funny enough I am also considering to upgrade my Q2 and the Pico4 is on my list so I am curious to hear your experience about that headset too:D

mesfigas likes this.
  2. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

@justposted
    me again. Please let me know if you prefer going MP, again I don't want to hijack your thread with sharing my own experience.

But if you don't mind, this is what I can say:D

the combo 5800X3D/TRX3080 can achieve 90fps locked, that's guaranteed under such scenario I extensively tested

Track SPA, Car AM Z4GT3, 15AI, clear sky and middle of the day in both practice and Race, I am getting between 20 and 30% perf headroom. I just noticed some very sporadic awkward dip that would look like a micro stutter but it was very very sporadic indeed
    will try Night and Rain in the hope the perf Headroom would allow me to stay there at 90fps

My ODT settings as follows
    upload_2023-8-17_21-42-6.png

My in Game settings look like this

upload_2023-8-17_21-26-11.png
    upload_2023-8-17_21-28-58.png

I have pushed Antialiasing to the Max and also have pretty high Graphics set up as well, I believe I cant get a better picture than I have right now while maintaining 90fps.

All that is running through Opencomposite as I do with other Sims. Running through the STEAMVR overlay would give me a worse experience, as usual.

Now to your offer with RF2 settings widget, it doesn't like me, it seems:oops:
    I can load the Graphics Option from the UI and I can see that in Game it supersedes indeed my existing VR settings

upload_2023-8-17_21-36-34.png

but whatever I set in the Session settings, it would still take me to the Game UI and with the latest Car/Track combo I would have played before.
    Same if I try to launch a benchmark, so obviously I am doing something wrong but I haven't figured out what yet:confused:
    upload_2023-8-17_21-38-43.png

3. justposted

justposted Registered

I have finally got around to testing this. Apologies for the delay.

My settings are pretty much the same as yours. You have shadow blur off, I have it as optimal, that sort of thing. Nothing significantly different, though I have all AI visible and raindrops on. I hate driving in the rain with invisible rain - I feel like I'm missing out on the immersive VR fun!

And yes, I also get a solid 90FPS under the conditions you describe. But make it rain at night, and I drop to 45FPS. Not sure why it locks to 45 (rather than, say, 60) even though ASW is turned off, but that's what it does. I suppose that 45 is optimal if you can't get to 90.

So I think we are both getting the expected performance.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  4. justposted

justposted Registered

Well I absolutely love it. In fact doing your test meant going back to my Q2 and that reminded me of why I prefer the Pico 4:
    1. Much lighter, particularly noticeable on the front of your head, though it didn't really bother me when I only had a Q2
    2. Comparing the BoboVR M2 Pro on the Quest to the Pico with the (essential in my book) GeekVR on the Pico, the Pico has so much less bulk. You just pick it up and slip it over your head. With the BoboVR you have to loosen/tighten every time you take it off, you have to fold it into itself to put it away and so on. The Pico is a nicer package in that respect.
    3. The resolution (at Godlike in Virtual Desktop) takes away that last bit of blurriness and screen door effect from the Q2. I'm sure the likes of the Crystal are even better, but with the Q2 I was aware of it whereas with the Pico I can't detect it unless I try.
    4. The lenses mean that the whole image is pretty much clear. With the Q2 I was forever wiping my lenses and adjusting the headset, because it's just a bit uncomfortable feeling that there is blurriness outside the central area. And I play without the facial interface cushion in both headsets, so it's purely down to the lenses.
    5. There is a small gain in FOV. That's playing with my eyes as close to the lenses as I can get them on both headsets.
    That said, I'm losing about 30FPS with the Pico compared to the Q2. That's down to the resolution: 1920x3664 vs 4320x2160 is a 30% difference. As I was already often at 45FPS, it hasn't made any difference to me, it's just that my GPU is running at close to 100% usually, whereas it was at more like 70% with the Q2. If you are chasing 90FPS with a 3080 in the Pico 4, you'll need to lose some resolution or some graphics settings in game.

If you do go down the Pico 4 route you can see my thoughts on the GeekVR here: https://www.reddit.com/r/PicoXR/comments/15ulnh8/geekvr_tnt/

I'd be tempted by the Pico 3, which they say gives even better visuals for various reasons, but it's too expensive at the moment and doesn't seem to come up second hand at a cost close enough to the Pico 4 for me to justify it.

Lazza likes this.
  5. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Hello
    Thanks a lot for having taken the time to run such deep dive

I have fixed my 3080 thermals since my post so I could undervolt and overclock to give me more perf headroom in preparation to a move towards the pico 4

for whatever reason they increase the VR headset price by equivalent of 50bucks on Amazon Japan so I am going to wait a bit to see what happens at the Quest3 launch

the Quest3 headset is advertised for 75000¥ which is a direct conversion of the $500 announcement from meta so that’s money I am not willing to invest unless it’s a big leap in PCVR from the Pico4 which is still unclear obviously

anyway thanks again for the detailed testing and advices, much appreciated

6. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Thanks again

ordered the P4 and will test this weekend
    Ordered both amvr and geekvr halo straps for comparison although your write up was really good

Will report back

juanchioooo likes this.
  7. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

8. Xiaowei

Xiaowei Registered

I'm currently super happy with my 3090+14700k+g2 combination.
    I owned quest2 and quest3 but g2 is still the king, i was expecting the q3 to replace my g2 but i was wrong.(tilted lcd panel of q3 is the deal breaker)
    I used to have 9900k+3090 but seems the cpu/dram speed became the bottleneck for increased ai and stability of fps, then i changed the platform.
    The graphic setting is almost no compromising except for road reflection.
    Visible car=16, msaax4 and fxaa on.
    Raindrop is ultra and i would say that drizzle weather provided very very immersion exeprience due to the realistic raindrop effects, more ai is also more visually rich and enjoyable both front view and rear mirror

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

What RAM did the 9900k use and what did you upgrade to in the 14700k system?

10. Xiaowei

Xiaowei Registered

before:
    9900kf+ddr4 3200 8gx2
    current:
    14700k+ddr5 7200 16gx2

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks for the tips here