My Thoughts On The Beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bazza, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Bazza

Bazza Registered

Hello to the board for starters.

Purchased the beta a few weeks ago but lacked a lot of time to play it pluss the old 4870 wasnt up to the task fully so I wanted to wait to really get into it until I had a card with enough juice to do it justice.Grabbed a gtx570 a couple of days ago, ahh now we are talking.

I was an avid rfactor racer and was hanging out for the release of the beta,Soon as I noticed it was available I got some money into my paypal account so I could purchase a lifetime sub. So far I'm pretty impressed!

Sure the graphics may not be as good as other titles, but it is an improvment and im sure the mod brigade will use it to its full potential and bring us some jaw dropping tracks and cars, I for one can't wait.

Physics wise so far , taking into acocunt the unfinished tryre model, is looking very good, the ffb is the best I have felt (own pretty much everying apart from iracing) im super impressed with how the cars respond to set-up changes now, it really works in both feedback and the cars performance on track.

Sound is still lacking, mostly the engine sound.

Sure its still a beta, but its looking very exciting, keep up the good work!

1 person likes this.
  2. Anonim

Anonim Registered

nice review! :)

3. WebberF1

WebberF1 Registered

Bought rF2 beta (lifetime online play) today and played on my new custom built PC. Must say I really enjoyed the FFB and new tyre model.

1st impression, wet grip was way to high IMO, in 68 series at Monaco so think there is room for improvement there. Need to test further to be more definitive.

Played a little online and enjoyed that also. Seemed grip levels were a lot less online than playing single player and felt more real. Still obvious there is much work to be done but its looking promising.

All in all, loved it and look forward to future mods. Love to see mods for modern F1, Aussie V8's new and old, CTDP 94 F1 Mod (soon please), Karts, and perhaps even Nascar.

In anticipation, rFactor 2, decent mod and Bathurst = pure bliss.

Congrats ISI. Keep up the fantastic work.

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

You have a point there. Laptimes of real F1 cars in that era were in the high 1'20s (27-29) for quali/race. Although part of the reason why we can go faster is that we don't have the risk of dying of course!

5. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

In that mod there are 3 types of cars: F1, F2 and F3. Which one of them is closer to the reality in those days?
    I find the F1 has way too much power, it's almost imposible to go flat out in montecarlo. I don't think that power was achieved in those days F1 engines.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah, many reasons of course. I am sure that at Monaco drivers never drove over 95% as when they did, they often made fatal mistakes. Bandini being a typical example... Faster, faster, faster, makes a mistake and dies.

7. 88mphTim

Yes it was. :)

The main issue you may be having is that you need to do some nice, clean laps before your tires will have proper grip. You CAN put down 100% throttle when the track and the car have suitable grip levels, you just need to stay on the track long enough to experience them.

8. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Thanks, I'll have to practice long runs on those crazy machines to get used to them. :D

9. 88mphTim

You can let the AI do some of the work. If you run a practice session and them put rubber into the track for you before you start driving it should help.

10. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Good thinking, I'll give it a try today. (So many good features Rfactor2 has I just have to get used to :) )

11. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Modern drivers are crazy driving at Monaco as it is, let alone in the 60s and earlier before they decided to put some armco up... I'd be terrified to drive at 50% on this track in a 60s racing car!

As for Bandini, he was unlucky in that straw bales were considered safe. They were ok, until a fire ensued and given how likely that latter was during the era, it was a very silly 'safety' feature. Had it not been for the hay bales which effectively made the fire a lot worse, he would have had a much better chance at surviving his accident (would have according to some experts).

His accident lead to the banning of hay bales.

----
    Don't know if it was intended, but a great choice by ISI to create Moanco 1966 - the peak of it's 'natural' layout before safety started to have a big impact on the circuit. It really makes you appreciate hundreds of times more the bravery (fine line between bravery and stupidity...) that these drivers had over just watching videos.

12. 88mphTim

It's my favorite era to read about. That was brought about by GPL, of course.

In many ways I want kids and young adults like I was to experience the same awakening I felt.

Obviously it was a risk to include Monaco, but I'm hoping the challenge of 'beating' the track will win out.