My Simple Benchmark

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Jan 25, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

@GreekSchumi for me, 59-61 FPS is good (I assume this is your max FPS?). But why you're not satisfied? Is it because of the frame rate? Or the graphic quality?

In my opinion, rFactor 2 Build 60 at 1280x720 (my favorite screen resolution for gaming) is now a whole lot better than Build 49 in terms of graphic quality and performance. I must say ISI has really done well in graphic section.

However, I still found bad points in Build 60:
    • Big FPS drop in night race (with Megane in Mills) and in heavy rain race (with F3 in Spa).
    • HDR is still eating the FPS, but not as much as build 49. On average HDR is now consuming "only" 4.5 FPS, where previously in build 49 it consumed 11.25 FPS.
    • Monaco (with F3) at high detail level is now taxing the FPS much higher than build 49.

My game setting is:
    - 1280x720 @60Hz
    - In-game HDR on
    - In-game Anti-Aliasing Level 3 with FXAA
    - In-game anisotropic filter set to 16
    - All graphic detail setting at HIGH
    - Shadow Blur On
    - All Reflections On
    - Sun Occlusion On
    - Wind Off
    - Visible Vehicle 50
    - Number of AI 20
    - Number of Sound 20

My ATI HD5770 setting:
    - Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic Filter in Catalyst is set to 'Application'
    - Texture and MipMap is set to 'Quality'

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  2. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Game setting:
    - 1280x720 @60Hz
    - Replay of F3 1960 race, in Sepang Malaysia Full Loop
    - In-game HDR Off
    - In-game Anti-Aliasing Level 3 with FXAA
    - In-game anisotropic filter set to 16
    - All graphic detail setting at HIGH
    - Shadow Blur On
    - All Reflections On
    - Sun Occlusion On
    - Wind Off
    - Visible Vehicle 50
    - Number of AI 20
    - Number of Sound 20

ATI HD5770 setting:
    - Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic Filter in Catalyst is set to 'Application'
    - Texture and MipMap is set to 'Quality'
    - ATI Driver 12.3 pre-WHQL (Feb 17, 2012)

I'm using FRAPS as FPS counter.

FPS Min: 19, FPS Max: 59, FPS Avg: 39

The lowest FPS happened in turn 2, in the first lap only. After that, the FPS never go down below 22. The highest FPS is achieved in relatively 'empty' scenes, where side object is not many and AI is far from my vehicle but still visible. If I turned off mirror, I'll get boost of 5 FPS in any scene.

When I consider the quality of effects that I can use now, to me it's obvious that build 60 is way better than build 49, in terms of frame-rate performance and graphic quality (much less blur image, yeah!). With Build 49, I had to choose between Road Reflection and Environment Reflection. I couldn't use both of them at the same time, otherwise I would loose too many FPS. Now in build 60, I can use both of them.

However, the HDR quality is still not good for me. Too many bright whites on my 32" monitor hurting my eyes literally. Although, in terms of frame-rates, build 60's HDR is better. Much better. Build 60's HDR will eat your FPS in range of 5-6 FPS in any scene, previously Build 49's HDR ate as much as 10-11 FPS in any scene.

If only we can change HDR parameter through game UI (just like in FXAA Tools injector), then HDR effect will surely give rF2 a new face, a beautiful one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  3. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

The bright whites are only partially due to the HDR I find. RF2 plays like it was filmed on a camera with poor white balance and everything consequently looks poor at the default time of day and improves as the lighting ebbs. Much of it is just the result of second-rate material shaders, (some of which I swear look worse than RF1's did).