My latest DOH!!! moment.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigDuke6, Aug 17, 2012.

1. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

Fired up rF2 yesterday, took the Form Ren. out for a thrash around Sebring, and noticed the steering felt really strange, almost laggy somehow. Recal my G27, reset rotation, nothing I did made it any better, gave up in disgust thinking something had gone really wrong an I may have to reinstall it all fresh. :mad:
    Tried it again today hoping it would have fixed itself, (I'm like that lol), any way same deal, steering really indirect, tried changing rotation degrees down to 300, switched off the VEH set steering range button, and adjusted the slider, got it feeling better but still not right, thought to myself ok reinstall time, on my last lap before I was going to close the game I flicked thru the driving info screens(where the tyre temps/engine info etc are shown, you know the ones) and past the driving Aids screen (cause i never use them) and noticed a green box checked, flicked it back and too my utter relief and also dismay the Steering Help was switched on. DOH!!!!( this was the moment). I must have hit the Steering Help F Key blindly while trying to hit ESC the last time I had played it.
    Went back reset & retested everything again, all back to normal. Thank the sim gods.
    Just goes to show ya, how much trouble you can cause yourself if you don't pay attention to detail.
    I'm putting it down to age :rolleyes:, lesson learned. :)

Feel free to write your own DOH!!! moments here, I know i cant be alone. :p

1 person likes this.
  2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

LOL. You're not alone. I struggled and struggled trying to get a package update installed and for the life of me could not figure out why it was not in mod manager until it dawned on me that it is not separate item but I just had to right click and select update LOL.

I also had the same experience that you had with driving aids and I have to check them often b/c my cat always jumps on my keyboard! :)

3. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Hey....man had plenty of my own...can't remember though....:p...DOH....

4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

@BigDuke, I had EXACTLY the same problem! Just figured it out yesterday. Steering was all soft. It had lost all the feel that I had previously thought was so great. I had been driving like this for days thinking it was me. Thought I was losing all my abilities. I could not hit an apex to save my life. I figured it out when I drove Monaco, turned into the hairpin and saw my front tires changing angles drastically without me turning the wheel! Figured my wheel had gone bonkers. Then scrolling through the various menus I saw that steering help was on! DOH! Man I gotta be careful with the keybourd while driving.

So now I'm all re-excited to drive this great sim. Boy does the FFB feel good on the 60's cars.

5. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Once i try to fix an olg video card and forget it the oven about for 4 hours. It supposed to stay there for 12 minutes.
    Now i have brown geforce zogis as souvenir.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

OMG this happened to me about 4 or 5 months ago on rFactor 1. Only set to low so it wasnt too obvious. I was going CRAZY. re-installing drivers, resetting things that had nothing to even do with the controls or gqme. Adjusting things in windows, etc etc etc. Going crazy. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

7. Simon Druce

Simon Druce Registered

I had the same problem so I unmapped all the driving aid buttons!!

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Same problem about a week after having forst bought the sim. Couldn't believe it was something as simple as that. I also must have mashed the key whilst trying to trial and error figure out what keys did what whilst on track.

9. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Gee, mine are going to be a lot worse than you guys as I had never played rfactor or raced online, ever...
    I went online for the first time and see the chat going on at the bottom of the screen but didn't know how they were doing it, never realized the box at the bottom was a text/typing box. See, told ya.
    But now that I figured it out, whats the small orange box beside it you can click on and off for??

10. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

small orange box =Turn auto-scroll on and off.

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Pressed the stupid LocalConnection button once. It took me some time to understand why all the servers dissapeared.
    Meanwhile I was interrogating wife if she really had paid the telephone bill.

12. Farferello

Farferello Registered

my latest one is that i was playing yesterday and my brakes were being really odd and kept locking really easily, after checking my brake pedals, recalabrating, checking the in game brake setting to m\ake sure they were the same, even checked that ABS was off even though if it was on then it would have stopped my brakes locking, eventually found out that i'd moved the brake bias forwards instead of rearwards

DUH!

13. blakboks

blakboks Registered

That's ok, that's not your fault, IMO. That's improper/poor graphic design. If something's function isn't obvious at first look (especially if you're staring at it for several seconds/minutes+ !!), then it fails--unless its purpose is to confuse the user, which I don't think is the case in this instance.

14. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

Most excellent idea! Thanks a lot Simon!

15. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Yup, interrogating wife always a bone head move! lol

16. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

LOL, thanks guys this all makes me feel so much better :D

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAH nice one man, too much brake bias in wrong way ya I can see that happening. You wish to see Lewis in a Ferrari or just like when they had red suits?

18. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Lol I did the same thing, I dont know how anyone could possibly drive with steering help enabled. I may aswell press "A" and let the computer drive for me because the feeling you get with the help is complete rubbish and I thought I broke my wheel until I checked the assists and it was set to low.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

After having rF1 for a couple of years I was driving my Van down the road (real van that is not a mod!) and caught something in my eye going past on the other side of the dual-carriageway...so I went to press the "Look Behind" button on the steering wheel to see what it was...DOH!

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

On the same subject, doing in reality things you do simming,
    I realized in rf2, that I dont have to press my clutch pedal, I can just push the lever at my h-shift and its the same.

Lately, its happening to me a lot, trying clutchless changes in my car especially when Im absent minded.
    The result is always a horrible crunch from the gearbox and a shiver from me...