My Clio skin is a safety car to other clients

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by JackFeelsNerves, Aug 15, 2015.

1. JackFeelsNerves

JackFeelsNerves Registered

I've done some searching on these forums (and others), but I haven't found an answer to this question:

Why is my Clio skin seen as the Clio Safety Car by other multiplayer clients?

The skin is contained in a .mas file which includes windows and rims. After the recent change to the way a "virtual ride" is created, there is a problem. Are there some characters which are not allowed to be used in the name, for example? I'm going to try joining a server without using the VRide system, but I need someone to verify what is seen by other clients.

If anyone has a simple explanation for what has gone wrong, I'd appreciate being enlightened! :)

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Your skin is not downloaded by clients... especially if locked within a mas file.

3. JackFeelsNerves

Thanks for your swift reply. :)

I don't think your information is accurate, however. I know that this method has worked; it's even worked with this exact skin before, I just seem to have renamed something, and now it doesn't work anymore. Or I've reused a previous name on the same server, something like that. Yes, it works correctly if I only use the body.dds of the skin, but the other clients don't see my windows (among other "extras").

Packaging the skin's elements in a .mas file is the only way to transfer "extra" items like windows, rims, helmet and driver suit.

4. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

What OP mentions has occurred in our league as well. We update the vehicle component with skins/teams. So it does not have virtual rides. We were using modified T5 series.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

5. JackFeelsNerves

Indeed, that method will be used for the upcoming league as well, I believe. But I want to use my skin during several test events pre-season as well, especially since someone will be making promotional videos. Call me vain and self-centered, but hey, show me a racing driver who isn't! :p

6. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

The bug just happens if you use a virtual ride. If you put your car skin as a .mas file to a folder of a car which already appear in the series its no problem at all to use it. The safety car bug happened to me in so many different mods but always when i used the virtual ride.

7. JackFeelsNerves

Ah ok, thanks. I'll try it without using the VRide method then.
    Strange that it was working and now it's not, though. :/

8. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

It is possible with a .mas file. :)

the .mas file can contain the Wild Card .dds materials the car has: for example: body, rims, helmet, driver suit, wing, extra1,2,3, pitbody, pit helmet, windows, etc...

Put all the .dds files in a .mas file and give it the same name as the alt_body.dds (=> alt_body.mas)

Make a virtual ride with it and done. (the whole car with all the extra.dds and car number, team name etc will transfer) and will be a smaller file as a .dds file

Note to the server admins: the virtual ride will not be overwritten if the client make changes to his car.
    The Server admin needs to empty the packages/skin folder. ==> the skins will transfer again from client to server to other clients and will be overwritten.

9. JackFeelsNerves

That's good info Gijs, thanks. However, it doesn't explain why the safety car appears instead of the grey "temp" skin. I will ask the server admin to do as you suggest. As long as my files are correct...I may have made a change to the files, used the same name for the .mas file and now there's a mismatch with my files and the server files. Have I got that straight?

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It is likely that their game didn't download your virtual ride from the client so the first vehicle from the vmod list was used for your car, meaning it loaded the pace car instead.

11. JackFeelsNerves

Yes, that makes sense, Gui. Thanks for your views, everyone. :)