My Arduino dash.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Goodwin, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Hi guys. I have constructed an Arduino dash type thing. It works on *Cough* iRacing *Cough*. I didn't code it, I admit and got the idea off of someone else. I am told the main issue is having a .DLL file that allows data to be exported from the game on to the Arduino board.

I am a complete novice at this but it would be awesome if I could get it working as well on rFactor 2 as it does on iRacing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A video below demonstrates what I am working with.

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Nice!!! Maybe a moderator could put this into the plugin section and someone with the skills would see it there. Nice stuff!!

3. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

Great work Rich.

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

My apologies if this is in the wrong section, I was not quite sure where to put it lol. Thanks for the comments guys.

5. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Just a little update after playing with the source code I was given. Would still dearly love to be able to use this in rF2. If anyone can help with the DLL let me know.

6. Bart S

Bart S Member

Well I have been building the same thing pretty much aswell as a motion sim, I'm currently working with the output dll and have it wired up pretty well to have it do what I want.
    My question to you is if you didnt code it how do you know how it works? Have you coded the Arduino yourself?
    If you havn't coded the dll yourself who has? and where did you get it from?
    You would have to post your code for anyone to help you, if your not supplying anything basically your asking someone to code the whole thing for you from scratch.
    Have you had someone professionally build the shiftlight and 7 segment display unit for you as that is a top notch job.
    I assume ur problem is that your not getting the full data output out of the rfactor dll plugin or the formating of the data is wrong.
    Those things are usually built hand in hand hardware and softwaree together so how can you build the hardware without knowing the software side of things?
    I dont mean to come accross rude but if its someone elses hard work gone into that hardware I think its them you should be contacting about a data export plugin for rfactor. BTW what is the dll your currently using and have you the source code for that?

7. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

Bart, you should google Audrino. Those 2 components (1 the LCD 2 the USB board) are both off the shelf. They cost under $20.00 for both of those components and use open source software (as I understand it). The code was most likely written for another Sim program, Its just a bit early for a rf2 dll me thinks.

IMO, this is something that lots of us are going to make (me for 1), So if some one can help it will be for the whole community. :)

Nice work btw Rich.

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

@Bart The components are indeed off the shelf. The parts are:

Arduino Duemilanove 2009 ATmega328 p-20PU USB Board - Blue (60cm)
    8X Digital Tube + 8X Key + 8X Double Color LED Module

A quick google will find them for you. This is currently working on iRacing NOT rFactor as I said in the original post. It is indeed working on open source C# code that I have adapted a little in the 2nd video above. Just for the record, I made a donation Via paypal to the guy who provided the original code. I am very new to this type of thing and didn't realise the difficulty in providing a .DLL. Sorry if my posts caused offence. It was just my intention to see if anything was available for me to proceed testing with rF2.

Also, to me, it's pretty damn cool and I wanted to show it off. I'll be honest lol.

I don't know the rules on "advertising" on this forum but I will provide links for the components if they are wanted. I would also provide MY version of the open source code if anyone wanted it too.

Thanks for your comments guys.

EDIT: Yes, I have the .DLL for what I am currently using. Just to clarify on the software side of things. I am a computing student and programming is part of my degree. Programming is very much a weak point for me so I thought this may motivate me to learn more and get better. I have done some Pascal some Java and dabbled with PHP. I'm no expert. Just thought I'd add that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
  9. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Would just like to say this looks fantastic,and would love to have ago myself.

Thanks for posting Rich.

10. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok I will help you, I will create the dll file for you, however I will need the arduino source code to see how the data is read in and parsed on the arduino side. I will PM you my email where you can send the source code.
    I started programming 12 years ago from when I was a web designer incorporating PHP and MySQL into my sites, building more user friendly interfaces I began programming javascripts. Finally to develop my dream motion simulator I began programming in C and C++ I didnt really find the jump from PHP to C, C++ too difficult but learning all the other stuff other than program structure was a nightmare but I stuck with it and now I'm confident with microcontrollers and pc communication.

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Just thought I would share a couple of more video's. I have been working with the code, learning as I go. I really hope I can get to work with rF2 on this soon! But for now here is a video of it working on iRacing and then another little video of a couple of updates I made. Thanks.

12. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Coming along nicely mate! Good track selection in the first video of your last post. ;) I could hear you breathing which was a bit creepy though. hahaha. Anyways, looking good.

13. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

LOL made me chuckle. I'm dying to see what data can be extracted from rF2 to display on this :D

14. Zephyr RU

Zephyr RU Registered

hey.
    I am one of mod developer. also I have arduino UNO.
    and I made up G censer for car. -but I still have not add on my real car. -
    for example this is my video.

and graph is this. http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/minkara/note/000/001/728/440/1728440/p4.jpg?ct=97b52f342008

my rFactor2 mod is this.for example.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5167-Rally-Pacenote-Plugin-for-rFactor2
    but now I stop making. - cause, there are no rally can and SS for rfactor2.lol -

may be, I know about arduino and making plugin for rfactor2 little bit.

can I ask you questions?
    what device is that ? I mean, indicator.
    can i see detail information of that hard where? electric signals, pins,etc.

recently, I have wanted to make my steering for rfactor2.
    I am intresting of SLI-PRO. but if that hardware is good, I would change my mind :eek:
    http://www.leobodnar.com/products/SLI-PRO/
    SLI dont have FIA FLAG LED, I must add LED by arduino and must make up plugin.anyway

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

16. Zephyr RU

Zephyr RU Registered

thanks. I see that.

there is plugin for rfactor1 when I search at google.
    may be, try to ask them. cause, rfactor2's plugin is alomost same.
    sometimes, totaly same.

nobody want "reinventing the wheel" thing.

for example.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nywr3s465uI

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I have contacted a couple of guys from youtube to see if they can help me out! :) thanks!

18. Zephyr RU

Zephyr RU Registered

nice!
    I hope you will receive answers from them! :D
    then, everybody will be happy too! :eek:

19. Alvin8100

Alvin8100 Registered

Really done nice job there...
    You really inspired me with that...this is a very good idea that will be referenced long into the future.

20. antgen

antgen Registered

Hi guys, do we have any news about this working in rfactor 2?
    Nice job Rich Goodwin. After i saw yours and reading iracing forum I build one myself and i really like it, but i don't know nothing when comes to programing and arduino:(. I just followed the instructions.
    So I'm hoping that someone develop it for rfactor2
    If you have any news please share it with us :)