My Analysis of the Tire Wear Multiplier.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Nov 26, 2012.

1. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

Today I tried an interesting experiment with the tear wear. I bought rFactor 2 last month, and I've enjoyed it a lot, especially the tires and the real road (when you get around the glitches). However I was kind of skeptical of how the tire wear multiplier was working. In the tire wear showcase 100x video, it took one (relatively slow) lap with the rTrainer to completely wear his tire out, but I couldn't get similar wear with the comparable 15 laps with 7x wear. So I decided to do run 30 laps with the Formula Renault on Joesville Speedway with the rain tires. One time with 7x tire wear, one time with normal tire wear. Everything else was the same.

This is with the 1x Wear
    View attachment 4820
    This is with the 7x Wear
    View attachment 4821

What I've noticed is that the wear is remarkably similar, and the wear patterns were identical. I noticed that the 7x wear did have more wear in the tires, but it didn't show up until the same points as the 1x, but it looked a little more "beat up". In other words, the multiplier doesn't really affect the visual parts as much as it should. I'm not sure if the multiplier is off or something. Anybody else have their own results?

1 person likes this.
  2. tjc

tjc Registered

Nope... don`t have any results but this is all still beta so I`m expecting that this, along with many other things will be hugely improved with a bit of time. :)

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I wouldn't expect the multiplier to visually wear any different. 7x just means 7 times quicker.

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

7x30laps=210laps... There would be no tires left, not that it actually works exactly like that but close.

5. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

He wrote:

So I decided to do run 30 laps with the Formula Renault on Joesville Speedway with the rain tires. One time with 7x tire wear, one time with normal tire wear. Everything else was the same.
    What I've noticed is that the wear is remarkably similar, I noticed that the 7x wear did have more wear in the tires, but it didn't show up until the same points as the 1x, but it looked a little more "beat up"

30 laps x 7 = 210 laps
    30 laps x 1 = 30 laps

He found the tyre wear across the tyre to be similar (looks almost identical) despite the huge difference in effective laps. The same parts of the tyre are worn, the x 7 is more worn on the same parts, but you'd possibly expect the tyre to have driven 210 laps to be entirely bald from inner to outer edge.

Look at the two tyre images, you can see the same rhombus tread pattern on the 2nd from right column (from outer) in both the x1 and x7 versions, similarly the horizontal tread pattern can be seen on both the inner and outer columns.

Not sure if this is a function of tyre compound hardness (perhaps the tyre is bullet proof) but I understand William David Marsh's point and I think it's a good observation.

6. FatCity

FatCity Registered

7. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

I'm likely going to do a laptime analysis to see if there is any differences in the laptimes being affected by accelerated tire wear. I still feel it is a work in progress. I may compare the tire wear to rFactor 1 as well.