Multiple cut tracking penalties issue

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by knackko, Jun 28, 2017.

1. knackko

knackko Registered

Hi,

On lasts 2 opens events, some drivers get multiple stop&go for the same cut tracking event, so the drivers had to do a stop&go several times !
    For example, I was out of the track in the 1st curb at Magny-Cours, the following events were logged in xml result file:
    0:37:24.1 knackko received Stop/Go penalty for "Cut Track"
    0:37:24.2 knackko received Stop/Go penalty for "Cut Track"
    0:37:24.3 knackko received Stop/Go penalty for "Cut Track"
    0:37:24.4 knackko received Stop/Go penalty for "Cut Track"
    0:37:24.5 knackko received Stop/Go penalty for "Cut Track"

0:38:58.6 knackko served 1st Stop/Go penalty
    0:41:01.5 knackko served 1st Stop/Go penalty

0:41:20.1 knackko finished before serving penalty fore serving penalty, added 35 seconds to totalET
    0:41:20.1 knackko finished before serving penalty fore serving penalty, added 35 seconds to totalET

Within 1s I get 5 penalties !
    I served 2 of them and finally get 35s penalty because the race was finished.
    5 penalties for one cut track, it is crazy !

So i opened the track in the moddev to view the corridors and cut track limits (see image below, 3 drivers get cut track penalties within the red square).
    In the GDB file, there is no parameters concerning cut tracking (as described in https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/cut-track.44735/#post-748233)

So what is the explanation for those multiple penalties?
    What are the right methods to apply with the cut tracking system?

[​IMG]

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

EDIT: Didn't read your post carefully enough... :)

If there is no cutting parameters in track's gdb, you should add them. I'm not sure how cut corridors behaves without proper gdb entries.

You can use NOLA's gdb parameters as a starting point and adjust them, if necessary.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    hexagramme likes this.
  3. knackko

knackko Registered

Thanks for your reply.
    I tried to reproduce the issue yesterday without any modification to the track but each time and I just get warnings for cut tracking, I was in an offline race. Maybe is there a parameter on server side which operate in cut tracking system? I will try new in online mode with the same server.

4. McNolo

McNolo Registered

The anti-cut code is included by default in the game, even if it is not written in the GDB. In RaceRfactor we deactivate it, adding a specific code in the GDB and we do it because it is not effective and causes many problems, like you describe here. The game penalizes you even if you have an accident or a spin and many times destroy the race of many drivers. An "slow down" iRacing type system would be much better, but as long as we have nothing else, we prefer to remove it and include gravel traps or "sausage" anti-cutting.

5. knackko

knackko Registered

Thanks for your feedback.
    Looking to the cut track parameters in GDB, the system looks great but needs some fixes and improvements, it should be nice to have a simple parameter on the server side to disable it, or maybe can we put cut track parameters in rfm file? more effective for admin leagues.
    It is not a good thing to have a feature activated if it lacks some improvements and can ruin driver online experience.
    If studio 397 read us, ;)

stonec and SRGP like this.
  6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

It's up to the track maker to make sure the AIW file is made correctly. You should be finding out who made the track and ask them to fix it or see if there's another version or another track.

hexagramme likes this.
  7. knackko

knackko Registered

Ok but what to fix? If you take a look to the picture in the 1st post.

8. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

The picture shows the AI corridors not the Cut corridors.
    Yes, GDB edits are .rfm overrides. Only what's needed to make the track work and when the default .rfm don't work, should be in the .gdb. Like pitspeed in for a karting track. But that's the only thing i can think off.

Safetcar: yes/no, headlights mandatory:yes/no, pitspeed, cut detects, starting procedure: standing/formation. All that stuff should NOT be in the .gdb. All these things depend on the serie you want do do.

Track modders should leave the .gdb as empty as possible, leave things open for the rfm. Nice and easy, and no need to repack a track for your league. ;)

SRGP and knackko like this.
  9. knackko

knackko Registered

I totally agree with that. We can say that in fact .rfm edits should be .gdb overrides :).

10. knackko

knackko Registered

Cut track is in blue (the menu shows "hide cut track").

11. Gijs van Elderen

Ah, i see. In DX9 they are yellow, in DX11 light blue. :)

12. Gijs van Elderen

Would be nice... but...

Problem with this, If the default .rfm values don't work for the track. For example if the track doesn't make use of a safety car, or the track has a very narrow pitlane and needs a lower pitspeed. The default .rfm would override the .gdb values.

.rfm overrides are needed sometimes, but use them with common sense.

Anyway, back your problem:

The cut corridors should only cover the legal race-surface (According to FIA rules: everything within the white lines). So they need a clean up.

13. knackko

knackko Registered

ok, but tracks should have a minimal set of features implemented (like safety car), I know, easy to say but not always easy to make.
    About .rfm, I use to do a vmod for each event of a championship so easy to do a dedicated .rfm for a track event. Overrides rules may need to be more clear.

Ok for the cut corridors, I will check with legal surface but for you it can explain the multi penalties?

14. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

Here it would maybe a nice option in the multiplayer.json for admin to decide if rfm overrides gdb or not.

SRGP likes this.
  15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

A simple solution Reiza made was to give us a option to select how many warnings the game will give before a cut penalty, so in track where people can't really cut and the warnings are very sensitive I just add like 90 warnings. Would be nice to have this in rF2 for now, but best would be to remake the whole system, this one just sucks and should not have been ported to rF2.

SRGP likes this.
  16. knackko

knackko Registered

I've found an parameter in the rfm which can reduce the number of penalties:
    // Whether penalties add to each other, essentially meaning they can all be served at once; default=0, possible
    // values 0 or 1.
    AdditivePenalties = 1

But it also seems that after a first penalty for cut tracking, if the driver doesnt respect the pit speed limit when doing the drive through, he will acknowledge both penalties at the same time?

17. lagg

lagg Registered

And, what will happen if the driver continue cutting the track?

18. knackko

knackko Registered

I got the same behavior on Symmons Plains track in the hairpin during an online race: I go out of the track and had multiple penalties event I've not rejoin the track.
    The cut track corridor in this hairpin is larger in the outside, I get the penalty when after reaching the gravels.

So I tried later to had the gdb entries for tracking after putting the track in mod dev in order to have the trace ouput like in https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/cut-track.44735/#post-748233 , but I have only 2 lines giving just the penalty but nothing on the different parameters value with the score which make the decision of the penalty. Those traces could help to understand the mechanism.