Multiplayer und content management makes me not happy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jual, Dec 8, 2022.

1. jual

jual Registered

just trying the multiplayer, it gave me not clearly information about tracks and cars. If clicking on an item, it sometimes begin installing unwanted unknown content.

On the other hand the content management system seems missing the windows multiple assign ctr/shift function.

Another Point is that the content inventory gives no unique information about the source or original S397 free or payed or mod content.

Can anybody bring some light in the content structure concerning workshop etc. and how to manage in a effective way ?

2. This is based on an option within dedicated server - https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/how-to-setup-auto-download-on-dedicated-server.69252/

But does not work with paid content afaik.

Inside rF2 I am not sure, but modmgr in bin folder of rF2 dos support it.

That's right afaik, but if you have not subscribed to any workshop content then only the bought content will appear within rF2.

3. jual

jual Registered

not really sure about the function of modmgr but if I erase the entire content of package file, modmgr empty, car and track remain.
    Imo. missing is only a way of multi assign like windows shift/Ctr in content management system,so not to click on huge amount, maybe hundreds, of single files wasting a lot of time.
    any idea ?

4. I am not really sure if I understand the problem in the right way, but I have added some screenshots ...

In rF2 folder in bin64 you will find modmgr.exe - if you open it and configure 'working dir' and 'packages dir' (lower right edge) it will be able to read your installed content.

Press and hold shift and you can highlight a couple of elements - e.g. highlight the first one which should be uninstalled, press and hold shift and then highlight the last one.

Right mouse button click and you should see options ...

But this is only half the truth - if you have subscribed to the content you would like to erase / uninstall then you have to unsubscribe from it in Steam workshop. Otherwise it will be re-installed while starting rF2.

If there are some folders left (e.g. you are uninstalling a vehicle and the vehicle folder still occurs in the rf2 installed\vehicles folder) then I assume there must be an error from a previous installation or something like that.

On the other hand side IMO rF2 is kind of 'rock solid' - you can delete your rF2 installed\vehicles folder in Windows explorer e.g. and on next application launch the content will be installed again (does not work 100%, but in 98% of all cases in my experience).

I know rF2 is not the most intuitive simulation if it comes to content management, but you can get used to - and live with the smaller errors / bugs.

Inside rF2 within content management I think it is not possible to highlight a couple of entries by using shift and / or ctrl ... but it would be the same: if you uninstall something in content management section it will be re-installed on next startup because you haven't unsubscribed from it in workshop.

5. jual

jual Registered

e.g. ASR... cars, modmgr shows uninstalled, content management installed, so cars in ui.?
    "autodownloads": in multiplayer.json is false, setting to true has no effect.
    Another point some cars in ui has other name as in content managemet, so it is not possible to find it with that name.
    content1.jpg content3.jpg contend2.jpg ui

6. Emery

Emery Registered

That's what happens when content creators aren't consistent and/or don't comprehend the system. Doesn't matter if it is ISI/S397 or third party content, it's inevitable when there is not a sole authority, a librarian, ensuring consistency.

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

jual. looking at your screen shot of Mod manager you have your Working Dir wrong. You need to set it to '\rFactor 2' folder, not '\Bin64'

Flipo likes this.
  8. It is what Emery said ... if you have a look at the modding guides you will see that you have the possibility to name your content however you like to.

The mentioned option in multiplayer.json - I think - is for automatic download of content when joining an online race / server (and if that has auto upload enabled).

Also you are free how to name your mods for a dedicated server session ... the mod could be called "my mod for online racing" and the server could be published as "I don't care about names" later on ;-)

9. jual

jual Registered

you are right, thats it.