Motec tires temps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yurich77, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Yurich77

Yurich77 Registered

I've read some discussions here about tires,but they are all mostly theoretical and sometimes I even can't understand completley what it's all about, so I'll be appreciate for any advice.
    The questions are :
    1. What exactly temp in Motec should I take into account : rubber,carcass, or tyre?
    2. What difference between inner,middle and out will be correct?
    3. It seems tire pressure didn't affect middle temp or at least the pressure has to be extremly hi or low to see any effect. Does it correct?

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

1. Rubber vs Carcass is basically like difference between Medium rare steak or well done steak. Rubber is temp on the surface, carcass is temp thruout. When u warm up ur tires too violently, you overheat the rubber without having carcass warm, the rubber will wear of more quickly and cool down very quickly again, warming up your tyres slowly and gradually warms up the carcass more equally to the rubber and that tire will be much happier and keep nice equal temps longer. Dont know what the "Tyre" channel is, perhabs average of the two dont know.
    2. They should be equal mid corner, inners should be higher after braking or long straights
    3. I believe its a shortcoming of the tyremodel atm

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Carcass is an average of the whole carcass, tyre I/C/O is basically the surface, rubber I/C/O is a bit deeper. If you read real-life guides about checking temperature with a probe after coming into the pits, the rubber temp is closest to reflecting the same thing. The surface temps fluctuate a lot more quickly.

TJones likes this.
  4. Yurich77

Yurich77 Registered

The basic rule for older sims was something like inner temp -outer temp = about 5 and middle temp is in the middle of that differnce if we are talking about average temps. Is there at this moment a propper difference for rfactor2?

OK,so the working temp of rfasctor2 car tyres refers to a rubber temp in Motec?

And basically what exactly I was wonder - is there at this moment a strict,simple algorithm (like it was in rf1 or GTR2) to manage tyres in rfactor2 setup?

5. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

You cant apply rule of thumbs really, the cars differ too much, on extreme open wheelers this difference will be higher, on very high downforce cars probably too (Because they ten to run very high camber)
    Your ultimate goal is having equal temps mid corner, everything else should somewhat just ..click in.. atleast thats as far as my knowledge go. Ofcourse that is hard because you might want to optimize ur camber for short sharp corners, but that will lead to overheating outter on longer faster corners, and viceversa (That applies for radial tyres, bias ply will be differend because they expand a lot in higher speeds, changing the contact patch shape quite dramastically)

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not really, which is much the same as real life.

In rF1 tyres there is an 'optimum camber', and by monitoring the rate of change of tyre temps (inside and outside) you can find the amount of setup camber that makes the tyre 'flat' during corning, add the optimum camber angle to your setup, and you've got maximum lateral force happening. The only reason to reduce it is if you need to do a lot of hard braking or accelerating and you're losing some longitudinal grip because of the camber.

rF2 tyres don't have a defined optimum camber; it (should) comes about from the tyre construction. This also means optimum camber at any time will also depend on the lateral force (at least), so even if you could work out the figure you'd need to work it out across many scenarios.

By the same token, tyre temperature has been simplified to work in games, which also used simple models, and therefore the 'optimum' was basically defined somewhere. As a player you work backwards (like with camber in rF1). As sim tyres try to mimic real life more, so the tuning becomes more like real life - some rules of thumb, and guidelines to follow, but no absolute optimum values.

What we're perhaps missing (for anything but sprint races, for tarmac at least) is better wear telemetry; the per-tyre single percentage value is looking a bit outdated with such a complex tyre model with its much higher resolution wear modelling (allowing flatspots, for example).

Anyway, to go back to your question, the rubber temp is probably the best one if you want to check your temperature balance. The tyre (surface) temperature is more an indication of what's happening right now, or just happened, while carcass temperature is more a gauge of whether the tyre is fully up to temperature yet.

TJones, adamfarmer and PLAYLIFE like this.