Motec Material Names

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by R1CHO, Jan 25, 2015.

1. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Car modding isn't my native language. i'll try and explain everything I have done to get to where I am, then come back and edit when i see something i missed lol
    it may be common knowledge to some though :0 And anyone can tell me whats wrong or other ways to do it lol, tell me where to put it and i'll edit it
    If someone wants to explain more about mapping the texture first i'll update the post too, but the background texture (bkg)? lol, was already mapped when I started

then the lcd display is a whole nother area but easier i think,this displays what comes up on the hud? and offcourse the cockpitinfo.ini

Motec background materials:
    these im not so sure about until some1 picks me up on them.. lol

File formats include:

Main background material name= CAR_motec_bkg ,,,,,, or does it only need CAR_bkg ,,,,, texturename=CAR_motec_bkg ? ,,,,, mines .bmp ,,,,,,,, other formats? can it also be bk?

Gears background material name= CAR_gearsbkg ? ,,,,,,,,,, texturename= CAR_gearsbkg .. mines .tga so ive prolly answered the question above lol alpha or solid dependant mainly?

Material Names for Motec Display:
    File formats include:tga,bmp,dds

if these are set to alpha blending transparency they need a white alpha but can also be done as a solid material with no alpha..?
    emmisive set to white for best glow effect? different settings give different effect, aslong as they all materials have the same color settings

These are a must for material names to display warnings ,etc?

_______________these are the texture what the object points too_____________________ the blank texture must match the back ground if solid and have have black alpha if transparent? __
    ___________________________________ VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV______________________________________________VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV___________________________________

ledfy___(yellow flag warning)_______texture name; CAR_MOTEC_msg_yelf blank texture. CAR_MOTEC_msg_yelf00, blank texture, CAR_MOTEC_msg_yelf01, what you want displayed

ledfb___(blue flag warning)_________texture name; CAR_MOTEC_msg_bluef, blank texture. CAR_MOTEC_msg_bluef00, blank texture, CAR_MOTEC_msg_bluef01, what you want displayed

ledfr___ (black flag warning)red also?_texture name; CAR_MOTEC_msg_blackf, blank texture. CAR_MOTEC_msg_blackf00, blank texture, CAR_MOTEC_msg_blackf01, what you want displayed

ledlf ___(Low fuel Warning)_________texture name; CAR_MOTEC_msg_lowf, blank texture. CAR_MOTEC_msg_lowf00, blank texture, CAR_MOTEC_msg_lowf01, what you want displayed

ledrl (Speed limiter on) texture name; CAR_MOTEC_msg_laps, blank texture. CAR_MOTEC_msg_laps00, blank texture, CAR_MOTEC_msg_laps01, what you want displayed

ledpsy (pit stop request) texture name; CAR_MOTEC_msg_pit, blank texture. CAR_MOTEC_msg_pit00, blank texture, CAR_MOTEC_msg_pit01, what you want displayed
    * mapped to seperate area above and below *
    ledpsr (Pit stop ready) texture name; CAR_MOTEC_msg_pit, blank texture. CAR_MOTEC_msg_pit00, blank texture, CAR_MOTEC_msg_pit01, what you want displayed (enabled?)

Im sure theres more

My Opening Problem: firstly All is being done offline havent tried online yet,

I I have 1 car With 1 steering wheel motec display and the same car but with a dash mounted motec and different steering wheel not as an upgrade but seperate .gen's and seperate cockpit info all packaged together both motecs looking for totaly different materials
    (your right seperate mas's dont matter you dont need to make any reference to them whatsover, same as tracks)

Scenario:
    load track with motec steering wheel version it works fine but when the, car with the dash mounted display is added, or is part of the singleplayer session the yel blue black and fuel materials are the ones of the steering wheel motec the rest of the materials are fine as they all have a different material name, ie CAR_gearsbk
    same thing happens if switch the scenario around, but if i drive a different car altogether they both work fine if there on track too as AI at the same time

if i could name the materials for example CAR_ledfy and CAR2_ledfy for each different motec this wouldnt occur but as far as im aware these materials must be named ledfy and so on

I did have alot more issues but wont go threw the process but say what every named everything in regards to Material name texture names and references in the cockpit

And they where both getting the same problem at the same time in the beginning

I have made these all transparent now with alphas white for what i want seen and black for what i dont , i dont if theres material mix up for the opposing car but i havent seen the AI under a blue yellow black or fuel needing scenario as yet so dont know if this fixed what shows up also

my current settings:

Another problem but dont want to go too off topic, But has anyone got a tip on settings for alpha blending transparent windows with a logo or banner inside and out bleeding threw other transparent objects at times ,, i think its just a emissive setting probably common knowledge too they have a spec layer also thx ;p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Do you choose between the steering wheel motec and the dash motec in an upgrade? If they are two totally different cars you're talking about, why not separate them?

3. redapg

redapg Registered

I had have the same issue some time ago and the only way to solve it was, to use the same texture for same materials.

Because you have to use the same material name for e.g. the flags to work correct, you have to use the same texture for all objects that use this material.
    One object with material ledlf and texture AAAAAA.dds and another object with material ledlf and texture BBBBBB.dds, won't work properly.
    And it don't matters if it the same car in a multi-car mod who uses it.
    As long as you have the same material using different textures, you have a problem.

If you want to make them look different, just take a bigger texture and map the objects on different UV coordinates.
    That will work

4. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Thx for the replies guys, i tried several different processes without success

it did end up working tho dont excactly know what it was , 80 percent sure it was the material background naming was looking for the texture name and not the material name in the respective cockpit info file

my flags dont glow at night on the steering wheel wheel but still can be seen and might be missing _glo

I dont think they would have had a problem if they where seperate packages but didnt find it necessary over a different wheel and motec

I also put them in seperate mas's and pointed each gen file to the respective mas file

thx R1CHO

5. redapg

redapg Registered

If you still have objects that use the same material name but different textures, you didn't solve the problem that you've described in the first posting.

Even the packaging of the objects in different mas files don't matters.

Try it online (will happen offline too i guess but am not sure), let one driver join the server with the motec-attached flags and then join with the steeringwheel-attached flags (that are the objects with same materialnames and different textures, right?) and you will see that your car, that joined as second, will use the texture from the first car.

Sorry, if i'm maybe hard to understand, english is not my native language.

6. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Lol your english is fine, Car modding isn't my native language. i'll try and explain everything I have done to get to where I am, then come back and edit when i see something i missed lol
    it may be common knowledge to some though :0 And anyone can tell me whats wrong or other ways to do it lol, tell me where to put it and i'll edit it

firstly All is being done offline havent tried online yet,

Material Names for Motec Display:
    tga,bmp,dds

if these are set to alpha blending transparency they need a white alpha but can also be done as a solid material with no alpha..?
    emmisive set to white for best glow effect? different settings give different effect, aslong as they all materials have the same color settings

These are a must?.
    ledfy (yellow flag warning)
    ledfb (blue flag warning)
    ledfr (black flag warning)red to some?
    ledlf (Low fuel Warning)
    ledrl (Speed limiter on)
    ledpsy (pit stop request)
    ledpsr (Pit stop ready)

Im sure theres more

I have 1 car With 1 steering wheel motec display and the same car but with a dash mounted motec and different steering wheel not as an upgrade but seperate .gen's and seperate cockpit info all packaged together both motecs looking for totaly different materials
    (your right seperate mas's dont matter you dont need to make any reference to them whatsover, same as tracks)

Scenario:
    load track with motec steering wheel version it works fine but when the, car with the dash mounted display is added, or is part of the singleplayer session the yel blue black and fuel materials are the ones of the steering wheel motec the rest of the materials are fine as they all have a different material name, ie CAR_gearsbk
    same thing happens if switch the scenario around, but if i drive a different car altogether they both work fine if there on track too as AI at the same time

if i could name the materials for example CAR_ledfy and CAR2_ledfy for each different motec this wouldnt occur but as far as im aware these materials must be named ledfy and so on

I did have alot more issues but wont go threw the process but say what every named everything in regards to Material name texture names and references in the cockpit

And they where both getting the same problem at the same time in the beginning

I have made these all transparent now with alphas white for what i want seen and black for what i dont , i dont if theres material mix up for the opposing car but i havent seen the AI under a blue yellow black or fuel needing scenario as yet so dont know if this fixed what shows up also

first post edited also

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
  7. redapg

redapg Registered

I can only repeat what i've said before: NEVER and i mean NEVER!!!!!! :))) use the same materialname for 2 objects and use different textures for them. That ends in trouble, believe me.

And because you have to use e.g. ledfy for the yellow flag as material name to make it work, you have to use the same texture for all objects in your mod that use this materialname.
    When the cars are loaded and, let's say car A has the motec with Material ledfy and Texture AAAAA.dds, the game loads material ledfy and the assigned texture AAAAA.dds. Now you join the server (game) with the same material at e.g. the steering wheel, but the texture BBB.dds. The game won't load this combination because a material ledfy has been loaded already with the texture AAAAA.dds. So your steeringwheel-material ledfy will also use that texture.

Control your materials with that in mind and eliminate/change all materials that have same names and use different textures.
    Like i've said before too, if you want to have different looks for e.g. the flags, increase the size of the texture and map the objects on the same texture at different positions.

And one hint i would like to give you in general, solve the problems one after the other. ;)

8. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

I think I understand what your saying , but wouldnt that mean if i did it with an isi car the same would happen? These flag material names are a global material name on all cars as far as I my knowledge goes ;) ?

9. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

The ISI cars are in different folders, so they should load their own stuff. I didn't read all your post, but I believe earlier you said you had two cars in the same folder. Also, are you trying this in dev mode, or in the game, or both?

10. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

In game i only use dev mode to try and do the ai lines i just dont get the same effect in dev ,

yes packaged together differnet gen's and cockpit info and the different veh's pointing to the appropriate gen and cockpit info files, no upgrade option
    1 team car points to 1 motec,the other team car points to the other

11. redapg

redapg Registered

...... In that moment when you have 2 cars on track that have objects with same material-name and use different textures for this material, you'll have that problem, DON'T matters if they are in different folders, have different GEN files, different MAS.......

This was the 3rd and last time i've posted it :).

OK, 1 thing i have to add: I know this from rF1 but i think there will be nothing different in rF2